Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to also have U-Haul to drive traffic to increase leasing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it to also have U-Haul to drive traffic to increase leasing?

We have a small 20,000 sf net leaseable facility with about 1/3 vacancy. We started U Haul as a means of driving more traffic and hopefully get a bit of extra income. It seemed like a good idea but the amount of staffing might be increased to the point I'm not sure it is worth it.

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on the pros and cons of having UHaul available for rent as a means of increasing foot traffic.

Thanks in advance.

There are several threads on here you can read thru and some people say U-Haul is good and others say bad. I wouldn't have U-Haul anywhere near me. One of the reasons is what you said about a PITA to rent them and pull you away from what you do----rent units and then you think of more staff and before you know it, they want to tell you what you are and are not gonna do. In my case, that would lead to a confrontation in the lobby real quick.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

"Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him"

Comment

thanks pacnwstorage Ill poke around and see previous threads. Its been one week and man it has been a massive time suck taking on UHaul (Im guessing the work load has easily doubled) and although its been only 1 week, we havent gotten one new customer out of it

Comment

Originally posted by PeterL View Post
        thanks pacnwstorage Ill poke around and see previous threads. Its been one week and man it has been a massive time suck taking on UHaul (Im guessing the work load has easily doubled) and although its been only 1 week, we havent gotten one new customer out of it
        I really haven't heard anything but bad things from people who rent Uhauls.

Comment

If you don't mind customer service to tell people to park "IN FRONT OF GATE".
          I was visiting a neighbor in Atlantic City (2.5 hours away). Checked expected drop offs while wife getting shower. Saw a drop off with notes about parking in front of gate.
          I called the customer and asked why he did that. Told me he called to ask where to drop. They told him on our lot. He told them that it is a gated facility with a keypad. He said he asked if he should park legally on the street? She told him NO park in front of the gate.
          I called my AFM and told him to get all equipment out on Monday.
          I tracked my hours in office for uhaul and not including Running for trucks, my Wife's time running for trucks, and our gas running for trucks. I made $8.33 per hour. So with the above mentioned, under minimum wage.

NO THANK YOU

Oh then the area big shot wrote a report saying I left because I wanted to spend more time with my family. That made him look good or better to the Company.
          What a jerk.

Oh BTW that was the second time with a gate blocking.
          We even have a sign ON THE GATE that reads: Do not block Gate. Active driveway.
          Last edited by dakselfstorage; 9 December 2020, 11:22 AM.
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

And the hits just keep on comin'. The theme that seems to run through all these stories about U-Haul is their incompetence and the fact they think you work for them and that they are doing you a favor by allowing you to have their trucks on your lot. They want you to knuckle under and just cave to their actions. I had two U-Haul reps in my office one day wanting to put trucks here. I told them in no uncertain terms to get the freakin' hell out of my office and unless they just don't care about another U-Haul rep showing up and getting the boot from me, to never ever darken my door again. The day the owner here ever does business with U-Haul will be my day I give my 30 day notice. The owner and the family have assured me that would never ever happen here. It is in my employment contract that the facility will never be sold out of the family and I believe them about their no U-Haul promise.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

"Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet him"

Comment

I ran Uhaul for a year-never got a rental from it. I did however, get a lot of flack for not having the truck/trailer uhaul promised on their reservation-which wasn't my fault. I had a great DM but even he couldn't produce trucks out of thin air.
              "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
              WA state

Comment

OMG do not do it.. You will regret it. We tired it. The regional manager came to train us but the software was not easy to use and if you need something immediately all you will have access to is to email a customer service rep. Horrible service and once they get you all set up, then the demands start, like how to clean (its never good enough), how to do paperwork etc... And you never know where people will leave the truck when they bring it back, not to mention the shape it comes back in. The cleaning was not fun! We only did it for about 4 - 5 months and once winter came, I said NO way was I going to clean off those trucks all the time. Too much work with the commission not being adequate. Unless you have extra employees with nothing to do I would not recommend U-haul at all... Hope this helps a little.
                "A Dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself".

Comment

This may not be in the cards for your facility, But we have our own move in truck, and it brings ALOT of customers. We allow them to use up to 30 miles with in the first 10 days of the lease, and only on the way in, as we wouldn't have recourse if they wrecked on the way out. We are only 2 and 1/2 years open and operating at 100%.(403 units) The free move in truck has really helped. We bought the truck outright but use on the move for insurance etc. Our customers all came from with in a 7 mile radius, no one ever uses it for more than a max of 15 miles. This has really helped the business. Everyone is correct in the above comments, U-Haul is just going to be headache for you.... (our customers have to have full coverage insurance valid license and of course lots of paperwork I never look forward to doing all the paperwork.... but it does bring in lots of customers.

Comment

IMO, having U-Hell is totally not worth the headaches.
                    They treat the dealers like crap & think we work for them.

If you do a search on the boards for U-Haul, you'll find a lot of useful info (including my complaints about them).

SO glad to be done with them because it is so stressful with the glitchy system & how we virtually have no control over things whatsoever.

Comment

My very limited experience many years ago with a 6 month relationship with U-haul was that it did not generate 1 storage customer. The U-haul users were all moving from residence to residence or leaving the area altogether.

I have had EXCELLENT results with purchasing my own moving truck, plastering it with my own advertising, driving it around town, offering it to the local high school for moving band and football equipment and most importantly, offering it as a free perk for people renting a 10x10 or larger.

My terms on the company truck is that I'm the only insured driver, so I bring it to your residence, leave it for you to load and I return to drive it back to the facility and park it in front of your unit. 5 mile radius, one time only, not available on move out.

The calculation for me was this: Truck cost $20,000, average renter at my facility is worth $4000 over the length of stay, if the truck generates 5 renters that would not have otherwise rented from me but for the free truck, then the truck is paid for. The truck generated 5 renters within the first month. It's been gravy ever since, and I've had it over 10 years.

(the annual cost of insuring only myself as the driver is FAR cheaper than insuring it as a truck that gets loaned out, and the hassle factor of all the paperwork and damage repair if that happened was enough for me to stop loaning it and driving it myself)
                      Last edited by Storman; 9 December 2020, 04:41 PM.
                      In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                        My very limited experience many years ago with a 6 month relationship with U-haul was that it did not generate 1 storage customer. The U-haul users were all moving from residence to residence or leaving the area altogether.

I have had EXCELLENT results with purchasing my own moving truck, plastering it with my own advertising, driving it around town, offering it to the local high school for moving band and football equipment and most importantly, offering it as a free perk for people renting a 10x10 or larger.

My terms on the company truck is that I'm the only insured driver, so I bring it to your residence, leave it for you to load and I return to drive it back to the facility and park it in front of your unit. 5 mile radius, one time only, not available on move out.

The calculation for me was this: Truck cost $20,000, average renter at my facility is worth $4000 over the length of stay, if the truck generates 5 renters that would not have otherwise rented from me but for the free truck, then the truck is paid for. The truck generated 5 renters within the first month. It's been gravy ever since, and I've had it over 10 years.

(the annual cost of insuring only myself as the driver is FAR cheaper than insuring it as a truck that gets loaned out, and the hassle factor of all the paperwork and damage repair if that happened was enough for me to stop loaning it and driving it myself)
                        That's an really interesting idea! Perhaps I could buy a couple old pickups, put some advertising and we just rent them out.

Comment

Man that is a brilliant idea! Hey so do you think a large pickup/ van would have any value vs a 10-12' moving truck? Just bc it's easier to find those vehicles for cheap. I know most would prefer a bigger vehicle but just thinking aloud.

Comment

That's awesome, smart thinking!
                            Kevin Kerr
                            Storage Commander Cloud Software
                            k[email protected]
                            Toll Free: 877.672.6257
                            Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

They are not worth the head aches and believe me there are some

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X