Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth it to also have U-Haul to drive traffic to increase leasing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually enjoyed doing UHaul at our other location (we no longer have it here at my location as of 2017, due to an awful AFM, not so much the UHaul headache part). It kept me busy when it was slow at the store and we had an amazing AFM. I can't really think of any hassle I had to deal with. I love working at a busier pace and perform better under pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
      I actually enjoyed doing UHaul at our other location (we no longer have it here at my location as of 2017, due to an awful AFM, not so much the UHaul headache part). It kept me busy when it was slow at the store and we had an amazing AFM. I can't really think of any hassle I had to deal with. I love working at a busier pace and perform better under pressure.
      This was my experience at the 2 locations where I had it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had anywhere to park them! I loved the extra work, and I absolutely DID get several rentals from having it on site!
      MamaDuke

Comment

I do U Haul in addition to my main job in self storage.
        I have 344 units and I too do not mind the trucks.
        It does help to keep me busy and I have gotten TONS of storage rentals over the 7-8 years!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterL View Post

Man that is a brilliant idea! Hey so do you think a large pickup/van would have any value vs a 10-12' moving truck? Just bc it's easier to find those vehicles for cheap. I know most would prefer a bigger vehicle but just thinking aloud.
          Also look into On The Move, whom is also a supporter of this forum and likely on the sidebar of this page you're now on. They offer options that make the whole process very easy, from getting the right truck to insuring it affordably.

If you're going to get a vehicle to loan out, look at the insurance costs of that type of coverage. I found it to be much cheaper to just insure myself as the driver and do the drop-off/pick-up thing I mentioned. My wife will follow me when I deliver the truck and bring me back to the office, and the same when we go to pick it up. That's a little bit of a hassle, but I'm certain the truck will not move without me in it. I park it where the customer wants it, lock it up and take the key with me.

When I was loaning the truck out and had insurance coverage for random people, the paperwork required to satisfy the insurance company took 20 minutes to complete, and we had to walk around the truck noting any existing damage, in addition to me explaining how to drive the big truck and MAKE SURE they realized it was almost 12' tall. As you can imagine, people that don't drive big trucks often have no idea what they're doing.... they drive the hood around town without a second thought about what's behind or above them. Driving a truck that's 11.5 feet tall into a residential area is a certain way to trim every tree along the right side of the street and demolish the front edge of the box. It was a little uncomfortable to have a damage conversation with someone that remains your storage tenant, it's not like you'll never see them again after billing them for the truck damage, you will.

A couple of times I got the truck back with minor dings and scratches, and clear evidence the truck was used for something other than moving things into storage. Once the side rails were full of dirt and debris, the renters clearly hauled landscape materials in it, and another time I found household trash items in an area that couldn't easily be swept.

SO, the fix for all that was to no longer let people take it. Cheaper insurance with just me as the driver, no time spent on contracts or inspections, I'm careful with it, I know what goes in it, I know where it goes, I know it spends nights at my facility. The time spent delivering it and picking it up is less than the check out/check in paperwork process.

When people ask about it, I tell them it's available in a 5 mile radius, they don't have to drive it, gas it, insure it or wait in line to rent it. I'll bring it to them and park it as long as there is a safe and legal place to leave it. They have it for one day, but it must be back and unloaded at the facility by 9pm when the gates close. I give them my cell number and tell them to call me 30 minutes prior to when they want it picked up. Everybody is THRILLED at that offer, and the ones that aren't had different plans for my truck...

To your question, I would recommend something enclosed rather than an open pickup. If you're going to give it out to people and have them load it up, I don't think you want things potentially flying out of an open truck with your name all over it, in addition to limiting it's usefulness to only good weather days. Also, I think a pickup is far more tempting to use for that dump run or gravel load pickup. Look at the rental trucks at Home Depot, they're hammered. A used box truck also offers a lot more space for advertising, which is what you want as it drives around town. You can also leave space somewhere on the side or back of the box for sponsorships, charge someone $100 a month to have their business on there too. Especially if it can be parked in a highly visible area when not in use. I left room for 6 'sponsors' on the roll up door on the back, spaces of about 2' wide buy 18" tall. My plan was to put the info for other businesses I own on there, but never got around to it.

In some situations if I'm not comfortable, I'll offer a $40 credit on their rent in lieu of the truck, to help offset them going and renting a U-haul. I'll still chalk up that potential $4000 tenant to me having the truck if that's what got them to me, and giving them back $40 and only earning an average of $3960 from them is fine with me.

Wow, that was a lot of typing.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

We have 4 sites, all 4 did U-Haul, 3 of the sites use to offer a Free Moving Truck, but people wanted to keep the truck long term and the cost of maint & insurance just won't worth it for us.
            Site #1: we are only open 4 days a week, and it worked well
            Site #2: Hit or miss, we get a few storage rentals here and there
            Site #3: Works great, our best site for U-Haul...several storage rentals and the income isn't bad
            Site #4: Works Great, we get more business than the U-haul center, and has given us quote a few storage rentals.

BOTTOM LINE: it all depends on where you are and what you want. Will every U-Haul rental bring you a storage rental, No, but you have to ask them do they need storage, we have price matched, etc. to get them to rent with us.

Customer Issues, yes U-Haul can be a pain, because the customer will be told pick up here and end up there. Be nice & understanding. Any big issues, give them your local U-Haul rep's number and let them deal with it, we don't make the money to get yelled at.

At the end of the day, we look at it as a service offered and is worth it to bring more foot traffic in. You just need to be on top of it and get what you need.
            Thanks!

Comment

We did U Haul for 13 years, you of course had the most customers on the 1st of the month demanding to be taken care of instead of storage customers in to pay. At one time it paid for my wages and some still to the company, but they added about a dozen dealers within 7-8 miles and our last year we made a paltry $2500 or so, and when they had excess equipment in town they didn't want clogging up the Uhaul centers they would schedule it all to us. There were times when we had 6 or 8 JH (big trucks), 4-5 Els or DC (medium trucks) and maybe up to 20 trailers, when we really only had room for about 2-3 trucks and 4-5 trailers. I am so blessed we are done with them.....

Comment

We started with Budget, then Uhaul, then Penske. I wouldn't rent any of them again.

Uhaul is specifically bad as they expect the customer to go to the truck, not Uhaul to move the truck to your facility. So if you want the full commission on the rental, you need to go to other locations and drive the truck back to your yard. Customers also get PISSED when you don't have a truck for them. You are the face they are dealing with so you are the one that gets to deal with screaming customers who have 10 people lined up to help them move. This alone is worth never doing it again.

Uhaul also told me once a location hits $60,000 in revenue, they will open more locations down the street. They don't want any location doing more than $60,000 in revenue. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and they opened another location down the street 1 mile from me and then opened a corporate Uhaul facility with storage 2 miles down the street. Dropped them as soon as I heard they were opening a corporate location basically within walking distance from my place.

Uhaul also expects you to wash and clean the trucks. We have a lot of dirt roads around here....they didn't pay me enough to wash the trucks. They also threatened to take away part of my commissions because I refused to spend hours washing 26' box trucks so they didn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

Also look into On The Move, whom is also a supporter of this forum and likely on the sidebar of this page you're now on. They offer options that make the whole process very easy, from getting the right truck to insuring it affordably.

If you're going to get a vehicle to loan out, look at the insurance costs of that type of coverage. I found it to be much cheaper to just insure myself as the driver and do the drop-off/pick-up thing I mentioned. My wife will follow me when I deliver the truck and bring me back to the office, and the same when we go to pick it up. That's a little bit of a hassle, but I'm certain the truck will not move without me in it. I park it where the customer wants it, lock it up and take the key with me.

When I was loaning the truck out and had insurance coverage for random people, the paperwork required to satisfy the insurance company took 20 minutes to complete, and we had to walk around the truck noting any existing damage, in addition to me explaining how to drive the big truck and MAKE SURE they realized it was almost 12' tall. As you can imagine, people that don't drive big trucks often have no idea what they're doing.... they drive the hood around town without a second thought about what's behind or above them. Driving a truck that's 11.5 feet tall into a residential area is a certain way to trim every tree along the right side of the street and demolish the front edge of the box. It was a little uncomfortable to have a damage conversation with someone that remains your storage tenant, it's not like you'll never see them again after billing them for the truck damage, you will.

A couple of times I got the truck back with minor dings and scratches, and clear evidence the truck was used for something other than moving things into storage. Once the side rails were full of dirt and debris, the renters clearly hauled landscape materials in it, and another time I found household trash items in an area that couldn't easily be swept.

SO, the fix for all that was to no longer let people take it. Cheaper insurance with just me as the driver, no time spent on contracts or inspections, I'm careful with it, I know what goes in it, I know where it goes, I know it spends nights at my facility. The time spent delivering it and picking it up is less than the check out/check in paperwork process.

When people ask about it, I tell them it's available in a 5 mile radius, they don't have to drive it, gas it, insure it or wait in line to rent it. I'll bring it to them and park it as long as there is a safe and legal place to leave it. They have it for one day, but it must be back and unloaded at the facility by 9pm when the gates close. I give them my cell number and tell them to call me 30 minutes prior to when they want it picked up. Everybody is THRILLED at that offer, and the ones that aren't had different plans for my truck...

To your question, I would recommend something enclosed rather than an open pickup. If you're going to give it out to people and have them load it up, I don't think you want things potentially flying out of an open truck with your name all over it, in addition to limiting it's usefulness to only good weather days. Also, I think a pickup is far more tempting to use for that dump run or gravel load pickup. Look at the rental trucks at Home Depot, they're hammered. A used box truck also offers a lot more space for advertising, which is what you want as it drives around town. You can also leave space somewhere on the side or back of the box for sponsorships, charge someone $100 a month to have their business on there too. Especially if it can be parked in a highly visible area when not in use. I left room for 6 'sponsors' on the roll up door on the back, spaces of about 2' wide buy 18" tall. My plan was to put the info for other businesses I own on there, but never got around to it.

In some situations if I'm not comfortable, I'll offer a $40 credit on their rent in lieu of the truck, to help offset them going and renting a U-haul. I'll still chalk up that potential $4000 tenant to me having the truck if that's what got them to me, and giving them back $40 and only earning an average of $3960 from them is fine with me.

Wow, that was a lot of typing.

thanks think you have all of the angles on this covered. Now the pickup truck def sounds like a terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by teesee150 View Post
                    We started with Budget, then Uhaul, then Penske. I wouldn't rent any of them again.

Uhaul is specifically bad as they expect the customer to go to the truck, not Uhaul to move the truck to your facility. So if you want the full commission on the rental, you need to go to other locations and drive the truck back to your yard. Customers also get PISSED when you don't have a truck for them. You are the face they are dealing with so you are the one that gets to deal with screaming customers who have 10 people lined up to help them move. This alone is worth never doing it again.

Uhaul also told me once a location hits $60,000 in revenue, they will open more locations down the street. They don't want any location doing more than $60,000 in revenue. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and they opened another location down the street 1 mile from me and then opened a corporate Uhaul facility with storage 2 miles down the street. Dropped them as soon as I heard they were opening a corporate location basically within walking distance from my place.

Uhaul also expects you to wash and clean the trucks. We have a lot of dirt roads around here....they didn't pay me enough to wash the trucks. They also threatened to take away part of my commissions because I refused to spend hours washing 26' box trucks so they didn't have to.
                    Yeh I was warned by the previous management company that irate people could leave bad reviews on our self storage sites. Right now we haven't ramped up to a lot of trucks but we've had to deal with a difficult customer or two and I can't imagine if there were like a handful. Nightmare!

Comment

We have U-Haul now and are in the process of evaluating our situation with them. There are a couple of things to consider:

I am a woman and do not have the strength to pick up a trailer and attach it to someone's vehicle. Most of the customers are men and very nice about the situation. I have asked our AFM for a jack, she told me not to buy one, but it hasn't shown up yet. That was august.

The customers have been very nice to me but absolutely hate U-Haul, they feel like it is their only option.

Their software is horrible to work with.

They book two and three people for the same truck at the same time thinking at least one or two will not show.

It is the most stressful part of my job here at the storage facility.

To be fair my AFM is awesome, but extremely overworked and spread very thin. I don't know how she does it.

Also, remember, there are people out there that don't know how to drive a truck but think they can get in a 26' truck and fit it into places the a VW bug.

Just my frustrated 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Lillian View Post
                        We have U-Haul now and are in the process of evaluating our situation with them. There are a couple of things to consider:

I am a woman and do not have the strength to pick up a trailer and attach it to someone's vehicle. Most of the customers are men and very nice about the situation. I have asked our AFM for a jack, she told me not to buy one, but it hasn't shown up yet. That was august.

The customers have been very nice to me but absolutely hate U-Haul, they feel like it is their only option.

Their software is horrible to work with.

They book two and three people for the same truck at the same time thinking at least one or two will not show.

It is the most stressful part of my job here at the storage facility.

To be fair my AFM is awesome, but extremely overworked and spread very thin. I don't know how she does it.

Also, remember, there are people out there that don't know how to drive a truck but think they can get in a 26' truck and fit it into places the a VW bug.

Just my frustrated 2 cents.
                        we are getting used to it but the software is really clunky and the employees (and myslef hate it). seems like any little thing will cause it to freeze or require you to start over. Either way, the UHaul guy was very eager to see us ramp up into more trucks and I think we are going to stick with only 2-3 trucks for now. It is a bit of hassle unless the FM is someone who is high energy.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterL View Post

we are getting used to it but the software is really clunky and the employees (and myslef hate it). seems like any little thing will cause it to freeze or require you to start over. Either way, the UHaul guy was very eager to see us ramp up into more trucks and I think we are going to stick with only 2-3 trucks for now. It is a bit of hassle unless the FM is someone who is high energy.
                          Oh I HATED the software. Hate hate hate. I'm convinced that they used us to debug their updates-

UHaul-"Hey, here's a 'update!!" la la la la la la
                          Me. *under my breath-oh great*
                          Also me-"Uh-This part doesn't work anymore, and this part crashes and yeah, I already hate this one."
                          UHaul-"Thanks for letting us know!"
                          "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
                          WA state

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Oh I HATED the software. Hate hate hate. I'm convinced that they used us to debug their updates-

UHaul-"Hey, here's a 'update!!" la la la la la la
                            Me. *under my breath-oh great*
                            Also me-"Uh-This part doesn't work anymore, and this part crashes and yeah, I already hate this one."
                            UHaul-"Thanks for letting us know!"
                            LOL seriously I thought I was retarded at first and then realized my brain was working just fine, it was the buggy system

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                              My very limited experience many years ago with a 6 month relationship with U-haul was that it did not generate 1 storage customer. The U-haul users were all moving from residence to residence or leaving the area altogether.

I have had EXCELLENT results with purchasing my own moving truck, plastering it with my own advertising, driving it around town, offering it to the local high school for moving band and football equipment and most importantly, offering it as a free perk for people renting a 10x10 or larger.

My terms on the company truck is that I'm the only insured driver, so I bring it to your residence, leave it for you to load and I return to drive it back to the facility and park it in front of your unit. 5 mile radius, one time only, not available on move out.

The calculation for me was this: Truck cost $20,000, average renter at my facility is worth $4000 over the length of stay, if the truck generates 5 renters that would not have otherwise rented from me but for the free truck, then the truck is paid for. The truck generated 5 renters within the first month. It's been gravy ever since, and I've had it over 10 years.

(the annual cost of insuring only myself as the driver is FAR cheaper than insuring it as a truck that gets loaned out, and the hassle factor of all the paperwork and damage repair if that happened was enough for me to stop loaning it and driving it myself)
                              Isn't it a pain to get a ride back after you drop the truck off? Or if it is close enough I guess you could toss a bicycle or scooter in the back for the ride back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post

Isn't it a pain to get a ride back after you drop the truck off? Or if it is close enough I guess you could toss a bicycle or scooter in the back for the ride back.
                                My wife follows me and brings me back. That's partly why there's a 5 mile radius limitation. Since the majority of my facility are units under 10x10, the truck can only go out on less than half of the total units I have, and 99% of those are already rented up. So, the truck is rarely used anymore, maybe 6-8 times a year. I've had it for over 10 years and it paid for itself in the first month, so I keep it around for all the other things it's good for and the free advertising.
                                In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X