Texas icy weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas icy weather

I have a small storage place and haven't ever faced days of ice. I know up north they have to clear it out hourly or daily but this rarely happens here in NorthTexas. My question is do you put a sign up, beware of ice, not responsible for accidents? Do I close for a few days?
    i will only have a few customers possibly wanting to come in just to show they can... I basically don't want to get sued if they fall. What will your place do? Thanks!

We are in the Houston area and we are putting up an inclement weather sign up on our office door that states the property may be inaccessible and that we may have to shut off power to the gate so if they need to get items from their unit to do so asap. We will be closing our office this coming Monday and Tuesday and will probably send out a blast email to our tenants as well. If you feel it is safer to close, then close and don't risk anybody's safety. If you live on property then it may be okay to be open as you don't have to drive on icy roads and anybody that comes onto property enters at their own risk. But you may want to have extra signage that says so.

Comment

I imagine your contract has a clause allowing you to limit access for safety and security, so you could use that to do whatever you feel is safest.

I also imagine your contract has an indemnification clause, so you should already be covered in the event of a weather-related incident. Of course, it's always best to avoid in the first place because no one likes to mess with court even when you know you'll win!

So, my first thought is to simply close for a few days to keep everyone safe. But if you think you'd get a lot of pushback from customers, then a sign is a good idea.
      MamaDuke

Comment

When I was in Dallas I locked the gate, we were on a sharp incline and they would not have made it back up the hill. Had a few bark, but I explained that it was for their safety. Here in Boise we do not shut down for weather.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            Why are your posts blank????
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I don't see a blank post. Does anyone else?

By the way, I heard that there are rolling blackouts in the warmer areas of Texas because power is being routed to the iced in areas where the windmills are iced over and will not spin. Yea, need to get rid of that natural gas......huh?

Comment

Yes. Your post here and another from yesterday both are blank.
                MamaDuke

Comment

I posted this: I just copied and pasted a picture. Hopefully it comes thru for you. I can see it plain as day.

Comment

pacnwstorage This is what I see:

Untitled.jpg
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Well, basically it is a huge traffic jam down south in the icy weather with the caption: "We're all gonna die!!!"

And then the second picture shows a guy sitting on a chair in front of his outdoor grill with snow drifts all around him and he is BBQ'ing burgers and asking: "How do you want your burger"?

Comment

Another Nebraska resident.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/atta...5-jpeg.271052/

Comment

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/atta...c-jpeg.271083/

Comment

By the way, I heard that there are rolling blackouts in the warmer areas of Texas because power is being routed to the iced in areas where the windmills are iced over and will not spin. Yea, need to get rid of that natural gas......huh?
                            That's not what's happening at all. Texas is on its own grid that it shares w/ Louisiana and parts of New Mexico. It's controlled by ERCOT. The demand for power became too high so they had to implement rolling blackouts. There are also certain places that did have powerline damage as well.

Comment

I know they are on their own grid. Because of not being prepared and not having backup power sources, the windmills froze and rolling black outs are happening in the warmer areas to allow for the power to be moved to where the plan was not well thought out. Tell me none of that is happening.

The reason the demand was high was because of not being prepared, like the rest of the country when nothing but solar and wind power is shoved down our throats. The unicorns and fairies will all be dancing while we shiver.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X