Blindsided by acquisition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blindsided by acquisition

My partner & I are resident managers with a sizeable & upscale self-storage company in the MD/VA area. As of two days ago, all staff were informed that our company is being acquired by Public Storage, which should be in full effect within the next 45-60 days. Needless to say, this was a blow to us as the pay would be less and, from what we've heard, they don't hire couples as Resident Management teams. We were also told that we'd have to apply as new applicants.

For the sake of brevity and professionalism, I'll stop here with the rant. However, if anyone here can give some insight as to what we can expect from working with Public Storage, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

This would probably be my que to look for employment elsewhere. That's awful how they are doing y'all.

Comment

AngelaESSTX, thank you for your reply. We are considering the same idea you suggested. However, we're also considering staying onsite only because we don't want to uproot our children from their school and community (although it would be with significantly less pay). This is tough all the way around.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, good luck

Comment

If they don't accept couples as resident managers, does that mean they have no resident managers at all and is a turn key operation or one of you can be a resident manager and the other can work elsewhere but still live there?

It will never happen here because the family that owns this upscale facility will never ever sell the facility to anyone and that is assured in my lease/contract with this family. If it was to happen, I would just finally have a great reason to move with my cousin from Paradise, Ca. to Missouri. She is already going to move because she is fed up with everything Ca. She is going to buy a 3 bedroom house and wants me to move with her. Up in the air for now.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
            This would probably be my que to look for employment elsewhere. That's awful how they are doing y'all.
            My full time day job is a business broker. Not telling your staff is pretty standard when you're selling.

Comment

Understanding that you would feel very uprooted, there is no guarantee that even though you know the property and live there that they would hire you for the positions you presently hold. Some of the storage companies here in Florida that have apartments attached have a resident manager, but they are not the manager for the property where they live. I would go job hunting. I sent you a private message.
              Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by SSMGR01 View Post
                My partner & I are resident managers with a sizeable & upscale self-storage company in the MD/VA area. As of two days ago, all staff were informed that our company is being acquired by Public Storage, which should be in full effect within the next 45-60 days. Needless to say, this was a blow to us as the pay would be less and, from what we've heard, they don't hire couples as Resident Management teams. We were also told that we'd have to apply as new applicants.

For the sake of brevity and professionalism, I'll stop here with the rant. However, if anyone here can give some insight as to what we can expect from working with Public Storage, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
                I am very sorry for you, That just stinks! But understand with kids not wanting to uproot, BUT..... when one door closes, a new one opens, maybe this is for the better, and maybe they will take into consideration you've been there a long time, and maybe they will pay you an ok wage...
                Maybe there is another storage close that maybe has a residence position open for you! Keep us posted.

Comment

When one door closes another will open - keep your eyes and ears open for other and better opportunities

Comment

Locally PS kicked the onsite manager out w/ 3 week notice, and put a daily manager in place. I'd scout around for a new place to live, just in case. It's already stressful, but would be more stressful with such a short timeline to find somewhere new to live.
                    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                    WA state

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X