Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Storage Treasures auction winner that won't vacate unit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to do with Storage Treasures auction winner that won't vacate unit

    First off I am about fed up with storage treasures. They don't seem to screen their bidders. I am still trying to get rid of a unit that sold two weeks ago. The bidder that won apparently didn't even have a credit card on file and they ran the bid up then didn't want it and backed out. Then it went to a back up bidder. I just wish they would put a small hold on their credit card the moment they place a bid to see if the card is any good. I rarely sell a unit on Storage Treasures that goes smoothly. I constantly get bad credit cards from their bidders.

    Now to my back up bidder that purchased the unit. The guy had 72 hours to clean the unit out. That should have been Friday March 19 at 10:28am. The guy can't make it until Saturday March 20. He was coming first thing Saturday morning. He sends me a text that he is hooking the trailer up at 8:30am and lives 15 minutes away. He doesn't show. I call several times and send texts, no answer. He returns my call 5 hours later with and excuse a brake line broke on his truck. I tell him I am leaving in 20 minutes because I told him what time we closed. He shows up with a truck but no trailer. I ask him where his trailer went. He says he didn't have time to hook the trailer up. I unlock the unit and tell him it needs to be empty by the end of the day. He says he will definitely be out first thing Sunday morning. I pull in Monday evening. Unit is locked with his lock and I assume still full of stuff. He won't answer my calls or texts. I call Storage Treasures and tell them but they really don't give me any guidance, only there is a problem if he has a lock on it. I just want this guy gone. I sent him an email along with voice message and text message telling him he needs to be out by the end of day Tuesday March 23 ( 4 days after clean out deadline). Am I OK to cut the lock and dispose of the rest of the stuff on Tuesday and keep the $100 clean out deposit?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
    First off I am about fed up with storage treasures. They don't seem to screen their bidders. I am still trying to get rid of a unit that sold two weeks ago. The bidder that won apparently didn't even have a credit card on file and they ran the bid up then didn't want it and backed out. Then it went to a back up bidder. I just wish they would put a small hold on their credit card the moment they place a bid to see if the card is any good. I rarely sell a unit on Storage Treasures that goes smoothly. I constantly get bad credit cards from their bidders.

    Now to my back up bidder that purchased the unit. The guy had 72 hours to clean the unit out. That should have been Friday March 19 at 10:28am. The guy can't make it until Saturday March 20. He was coming first thing Saturday morning. He sends me a text that he is hooking the trailer up at 8:30am and lives 15 minutes away. He doesn't show. I call several times and send texts, no answer. He returns my call 5 hours later with and excuse a brake line broke on his truck. I tell him I am leaving in 20 minutes because I told him what time we closed. He shows up with a truck but no trailer. I ask him where his trailer went. He says he didn't have time to hook the trailer up. I unlock the unit and tell him it needs to be empty by the end of the day. He says he will definitely be out first thing Sunday morning. I pull in Monday evening. Unit is locked with his lock and I assume still full of stuff. He won't answer my calls or texts. I call Storage Treasures and tell them but they really don't give me any guidance, only there is a problem if he has a lock on it. I just want this guy gone. I sent him an email along with voice message and text message telling him he needs to be out by the end of day Tuesday March 23 ( 4 days after clean out deadline). Am I OK to cut the lock and dispose of the rest of the stuff on Tuesday and keep the $100 clean out deposit?
    I recommend trying out Bid13.com they are not immune to problems but it has worked well for me.

    This will come down to the auction agreement that the bidder signed. If it allows you to cut the lock and trash the unit, than you will be just fine.

    My agreements do allow this, and that is what I would do

    Comment


    • #3
      My wife is in charge of the auction proceedings at our place but we've encountered similar issues. We had one auction winner just harass us over not being able to come up when he felt like it. We clearly state that you have to make an appointment with us to clean out the unit. His car was broken, he couldn't find a ride. None of these are my issues!

      Comment


      • #4
        In answer to your question is YES, you can cut the lock and re-sell that unit!
        Do not just throw the items away!
        Create a NON LIEN auction sale and sell it that way!
        Please contact that bidder who has not come back and advise him of what you are doing.
        Good luck and please keep us posted with what you are going to do.
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

        Comment


        • #5
          You have set the rules in place for a reason and they need to abide by them. Keep his cleaning deposit and either move on to the next bidder or relist the unit. He failed to complete his part of the contract, that's on him, not you. I can understand giving a little leeway, but at this point they are taking advantage. Edited to add, I have dealt with ST and an auction winner not cleaning out the unit in time so I called them and let them know he left the unit beyond the clean out date with stuff still in it and they banned him from their site. Can't say much about Bid 13, they are not used in my area...they just don't have a market here like ST. Good luck and keep us updated!
          Last edited by AngelaESSTX; 23 March 2021, 10:57 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Use Bid13. Charge a higher $200 deposit from here on out. If the guy will not leave, cut the lock and sell the items as you wish. I did not see you say it, did you have the guy sign something stating the policies and such? If not, you should have and should do from here on out. If push comes to shove, smack him upside the head and throat punch him.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              did you have the guy sign something stating the policies and such?If push comes to shove, smack him upside the head and throat punch him.
              This should also be listed in your signed form...allowing you one throat punch/smack upside the head. Then they'll know you ain't messin around! Tell em "Gator don't play that!!"

              Comment


              • #8
                I would have signs around the office that say you have NO! safe room, so don't even ask!

                Comment


                • #9
                  This goes along with the stress thread that AMY started. This scenario is a stress moment if you allow it to be. A higher deposit gets people's attention. Non refundable and stick to it if the auction buyer breaks ANY of the policies, PERIOD! No stress on how to handle it. Spell it out in black and white and actually stick to those policies. So many times I see threads where a manager/owner deviates from policies trying to help someone and it bites them in the ass!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. I love ST, and I've had bidders that never showed up, but I've never had this happen.

                    Read the verbiage in your policies on ST (that's what they agreed to when they placed a bid) and see if this is addressed. But essentially, lock or not, they didn't clean it out in the timeframe they agreed to. That means it's yours, along with their deposit.
                    MamaDuke

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What she said! ^^^^^^^^^^

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A couple of auctions ago I had a new bidder who bought 3 units from me. My company only takes one deposit, no matter how many units they buy. I hate that! Anyway, this lady just cherry picked all 3 units and ignored my phone and text messages. I ended up having to put them back on ST as manager units and they were finally cleaned out by the new buyers. I called ST and got her banned from buying again.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lou G View Post
                          A couple of auctions ago I had a new bidder who bought 3 units from me. My company only takes one deposit, no matter how many units they buy. I hate that! Anyway, this lady just cherry picked all 3 units and ignored my phone and text messages. I ended up having to put them back on ST as manager units and they were finally cleaned out by the new buyers. I called ST and got her banned from buying again.
                          May I suggest, if you are going the route of only one deposit per unit, only open one unit at a time. When they clean it out, switch the deposit to the next unit to be cleaned. I take a deposit per unit, no matter how many units they buy.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

                            May I suggest, if you are going the route of only one deposit per unit, only open one unit at a time. When they clean it out, switch the deposit to the next unit to be cleaned.
                            This is exactly what I do. 1 gets emptied completely. Then that deposit is "refunded" to the next unit. And so forth.
                            MamaDuke

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              AngelaESSTX I will present that to my boss and see what he says.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X