Another numbering units question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another numbering units question.

Well, the best laid plans...... sometimes still go of track. Here's my dilemma. I developed a new site a few years ago. All current and future buildings are single story, non climate units. The first (and so far, only) building is sort of in the middle of the lot. We knew we were eventually going to build a one sided building west of the first one, right at the property line. . Just didn't know how many units #2 would have. So, we numbered building #1 with numbers starting at #1, and going to #36 as the last unit. On my software, all the existing units are labeled with a "B" prefix. That's an easy change, if that's what we need to do is change. With the idea that the new building to the west was going to be labeled with an "A" prefix, but still use 1-whatever # of units go in that building.

Where I am now is that a new building is going up next week- but its directly south of building #1. Manager and I have been tossing around some ideas. One is that the new building could have "C" prefix, followed by numbers 1 to XX. We'd label the end of each building with a "B" or a "C" to help locate. "A" would be reserved for the west building. In my mind, that could get a little sticky. And confusing. The other method might be to mark the new buildings with 3 digit numbers. New building numbering could start at either 101 or 301. Or, we could just keep 101 reserved for the originally planned building to the west, that I think will still get built. Next weeks building would start with 301.

So, I'm kind of favoring the 3 digit numbering. Manager, not so much. She thinks that sticking with the A and B concept is still good. She's likely right, but I just wanted to see what everyone else is thinking/doing. Every piece of advice I've received on this site has been great, and I'm sure the correct solution will happen with this post as well.

Thanks in advance!

I think the A B and C is easier for customers. Each building labeled with a nice big letter on the end to make it easy to find.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Like MamaDuke said, alphabet would be seen as easier. That's how we have our property, as well. If you have the blueprint for your property and possible new additions, that would be a way to start numbering/lettering, even if it doesn't make complete sense until the project is finished.

Comment

Will you have the A, B and C prefixes on every unit door? I think if you have a big letter on the end of the building, then number the units 1-50, that leaves open the possibility of more confusion than having each building start with 101, 201 and 301.

So, I would make sure if you go with letter prefixes that you have A1, A2, B34, C49 over the corresponding door, otherwise people may end up at #28 in the B building when their unit is in the A building.

People may say to you they want to pay for unit #23. Your next question will always be, what building are you in? "I don't know, the one on the end I guess". People seem to know where their unit is more than they know the number they're in. If they're in unit 223, you don't have that extra step.

Does any of that make sense?

I start with #1 and go through #550. I don't have 550 units, but people think I do. Instead, I have 300 and 500 starting upstairs, so I know by the unit number where someone's unit is located.

When I owned a pest control company, I had three trucks. I numbered them 12, 16 and 18 on the side so people thought I had a bunch of trucks.
        Last edited by Storman; 9 April 2021, 02:30 PM.
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Our buildings are labeled with letters and the units are labeled with numbers, the numbers start at "1" and continue to infinity.

In other words the customer is in A23 - building A unit 23. The unit number is never repeated, there is only one unit #23

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
            So, I would make sure if you go with letter prefixes that you have A1, A2, B34, C49 over the corresponding door, otherwise people may end up at #28 in the B building when their unit is in the A building.
            YES! This is important!
            MamaDuke

Comment

THANKS for the responses so far!

Which kind of brought up another thought. Currently, the existing units are just numbered. No letter prefixes. So, if I'm following along with some of the answers, I should add the letter prefix to each unit in building 1, as well as the new ones. . I'm OK with that, just have to buy and install additional lettering. But, that will take additional costs and time. Lets just say, for conversations sake, that I instead just go to a 3 digit system on the rest of the units. I am going to have additional costs and maybe time on the new units- but I am saving the cost and time of adding additional lettering on building number one.

Am I cutting off my nose to spite my face with that thought process?

One more question: I have no gates or key pad entry system in place yet. I do feel I will in the future. So, my question is on key pads: do any of them have letter as well as number keys to enter a code? Or, are they all numerical? Maybe that makes no difference, I have no experience with any other than my personal garage door at home.
              Last edited by smackdab; 11 April 2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Keypads will use numbers.

I run 2 locations.
                One I use a 4 digit unique access code, at my other location, I use 6 digits.
                Examples>>>> 1234# (pound sign) and 123456* (star sign)

I choose the last 4 digits of their phone number.
                At my one location, the last 4 digits of the phone number and the 2 digit unit number.
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I don't have the unit numbers tied to the codes for gate entry. That gives a bad guy way too much info, if that is included in the code, then when/if they get a person's gate code they can access the property and also know the unit number. I've read that some facilities include the unit number in the code sequence, and I think that's a silly idea.

Like Lady, I'm set up for a 4 digit code to access my 400 units. The customer chooses the code at the time of rental, I don't issue them a code they'll forget. If they do forget their code, that's on them.... they chose it. My guess is 75% of the people have given me their banking PIN, but act like they're fishing a number out of thin air.

My older PTI keypads are like a telephone keypad, with the #2 also ABC, #3 DEF etc. I know some people have chosen a 4 letter word. The problem is that the newer PTI metal keypads don't have the letters on them, so I see some people pulling out their cell phones to look on that keypad to see what numbers the letters correspond to.
                  In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                    Our buildings are labeled with letters and the units are labeled with numbers, the numbers start at "1" and continue to infinity.

In other words the customer is in A23 - building A unit 23. The unit number is never repeated, there is only one unit #23
                    I like that idea! The facilities I've worked at have either been BUILDING LETTER + UNIT NUMBER where the numbers start at "1" on every building, or they've been just numbers, the first digit of the number corresponding to either a building or floor.

For those using letters, I'd advise skipping the letter "I" because when it's typed in a sans-serif font, it looks like the numeral 1 to tenants (I) instead of a letter. I can't tell you how many times I've had tenants call up saying, "I'm in unit 1024" when it's actually I024.

Comment

we did our buildings 2 thru 12 (1 is office) But the units are numbered 1 thru 403 / We use a proxy card with the sentinel gate system, no code just the card which is attached to their unit. the building number doesn't go into computer just the unit number. I find at least 3/4 of my customers never remember the number they are in, but know how to get to it. Good luck, and hope you get those buildings up, you will rent them, everyone is full now. (In AZ we are all FULL, had 15 availability requests when I got in this am, and I have nothing....) Happy Monday everyone!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X