Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get a couple out of storage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How can I get a couple out of storage?

    This couple rent a unit from us for around 10 year. Recent one year, they stay in unit over night at least 4 days a week. They sleep inside when I get there at morning. I told them it is not allowed several times. They insisted they have to work there for their flea market business. And they refuse to move out. Other customers complaint to me about smell of pee.
    What is the best way to get them out here? I raised their rental, but seems they still decide to stay. Will calling policeman work?
    Last edited by merry; 14 June 2021, 11:48 AM. Reason: grammer

  • #2
    Do you have anything in your lease that prohibits sleeping in units? If so, that's what you use to get them out...they violated their lease. Or, if your lease mentions anything about either party being able to terminate the lease at any time for any reason, you can also use that. Give them the lease termination and do not accept any more payments from them.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
      Do you have anything in your lease that prohibits sleeping in units? If so, that's what you use to get them out...they violated their lease. Or, if your lease mentions anything about either party being able to terminate the lease at any time for any reason, you can also use that. Give them the lease termination and do not accept any more payments from them.
      Now, the problem is they refuse to leave......

      Comment


      • #4
        Only give them access during business hours. When you arrive they can be there but they have to leave before you do. If you have a gate control system, turn off their access and overlock their units-it's an extra step but they'll know you mean business.
        Last edited by KrisinWA; 14 June 2021, 12:29 PM.
        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
        WA state

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
          Only give them access during business hours. When you arrive they can be there but they have to leave before you do. If you have a gate control system, turn off their access and overlock their units-it's an extra step but they'll know you mean business.
          Yes, that is what I am doing right now, but they just come in working hour, then stay their for 20 hours

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by merry View Post

            Yes, that is what I am doing right now, but they just come in working hour, then stay their for 20 hours
            I don't understand. Stay for 20 hours? They don't have '20 hours'. Put a letter on their unit and send them one by email and USPS. Cite the appropriate paragraph in their contract. Condition their access to 2 hours and kick them out. They don't get '20' hours, they get 2.

            From your previous post, you gave them a termination notice? The restricted access still applies, unless they bring a moving truck to move out (and they still have to be off of the premises when you leave). Don't take payments (make sure everyone knows to NOT take payments), disable the online access for payments, and when they're eventually past due, lock them out entirely and overlock their unit. Play hard ball.
            Last edited by KrisinWA; 14 June 2021, 12:42 PM.
            "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
            Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
            WA state

            Comment


            • #7
              Depending on your state, serve them a non-renewal. I'd personally do a 3 day non-renewal. Restrict their access to office hours only for those final 3 days, if they don't leave, call the police and charge them with trespassing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Month to month lease, terminate their lease

                Comment


                • #9
                  Serve termination papers. After the time frame, you have allotted runs out. Redlock the unit, put it in a dumpster outside of your facility for a few hours then have the dump come pick it up.

                  I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. Talk with a Lawyer about your state and its laws.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is no reason to be at the storage facility 20 hours. Give them termination papers by mail, email, under their door ( if possible ) in the time frame your rental agreement states.

                    They can refuse to move out and then they will lose their items for the flea market, be no trespassed, and then the clean out fee that they probably won't pay will be sent to collections.

                    Don't let a few bad customers make the good customers leave.

                    Don't let the tail wag the dog.
                    The future depends on what you do in the present.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Evict them them thru small claims court Give them the proper move notice and if they do not move go to court !!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by fudgemasterultra View Post
                        Serve termination papers. After the time frame, you have allotted runs out. Redlock the unit, put it in a dumpster outside of your facility for a few hours then have the dump come pick it up.

                        I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. Talk with a Lawyer about your state and its laws.
                        This is NOT legal in ANY state. You must do a court eviction if they don't leave at the end of the termination notice.
                        MamaDuke

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As mentioned, this is not legal in any state and the reason is, this is self storage. Not a home, hotel or domicile - if you have the standard boiler plate lease and rules and regulations, then it should be covered in there.

                          This would be a health and safety violation - remember to follow your state and local laws and codes, do the proper mailings and document everything in the tenant notes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It is illegal here in AZ. The managers can also get into trouble legally if it is allowed. We send a lease termination notice and we raise the rent by $100.00 and keep raising it by $100.00 each month they don't move out after the lease termination notice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Serve them with a lease termination notice and threaten to have them arrested if they’re caught on your property after the eviction date.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X