Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenant dying- kids want in storage (Wa state)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant dying- kids want in storage (Wa state)

We are fairly new to self storage and this is our 1st issue to come up. The son of our renter came in and said their dad is dying and they’d like in his storage, I’m not sure yet what my daughter told him as I’m not home right now.
    ive read in some states as long as the kids have the code to get in and the key everything is fine. We just cannot let them in if they don’t have any of that. So is Washington state one of the states that allow that?

So I talked to my daughter. The son does not have the code to get in nor does he have the keys. At our facility we offer to hold a key if they sign a addendum to the contract, the tenant did sign that and we have a key. The son didn’t want to take anything out, he wanted to put something in the storage, so my daughter took him back and let him out stuff in and she locked it back up.
    I told her if he comes back she cannot let him back in until we figure out if the tenant passes away and I find the answer to this.

Comment

Hello

Even when a person say's "that your tenant is dying" what does that really mean to us?
      I mean, it is sad and all that.
      At least this supposed Son didn't attempt to take anything out.
      I would probably just notate the notes that son came and what you all did do.
      Going forward, I would not let any family member do that again.
      As storage manager/owners we only deal with the tenant.
      It is their name on the signed lease.
      In the event a tenant does pass away and a family member comes in and tells you, what is the most normal procedure, is to overlock said unit, to protect the deceased tenant belongings. As managers we must then wait and see if any one comes in to claim said unit by producing and supplying a probate document stating that the Judge has signed off on the person in front of you with their ID and the letter stating that the contents of the unit now have been claimed by a family member.
      Death in storage can be rough.
      But us managers must be firm and follow the laws to protect the tenant who has passed away.
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

IF they have the code and key, then it's fine. We don't monitor everyone who comes in (I mean, I do but if they have the code and key then that's it.) But in this situation, unless the dad comes in and signs it over to the kids, or signs a facility form stating that the kids officially have access, they're out of luck. No access until the judge says so.

We had a dying tenant come in and do this so his wife could access the unit because her and her kids had come in before and I couldn't help them.
        Last edited by KrisinWA; 6 July 2021, 12:56 PM.
        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
        Always sunny in California

Comment

KrisinWA is correct when she said that IF anyone has a code AND the key, there isn't much we could do to stop anyone from entering!

Comment

Usually when a child or other adult relative comes in to access a unit they provide a power of attorney (POA) letter.
            Our town is small enough that I can usually see it coming by keeping up with the daily obituaries in the paper.

Comment

Keep this in mind............
              A power of attorney document is only good when the tenant is still alive.
              If the tenant passes away the POA is no longer a valid document.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X