Fishing for info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing for info

I had a lady come in to my office a short time ago. She was definitely fishing for info on a (possible) tenant. She started by asking if I hold auctions here. I said yes. She said she was looking for a specific unit number. (Weird) When I asked her for the unit number, she said she didn't want to share that information. I replied with "so you expect me to give you info on something but you won't tell me what I would need to know to do that". She says "oh yeah, that makes sense". She then proceeded to ask about how the auction process works; do I have to be a member (??), can I just come and bid, how do I find info on where to bid, can I just show up with $500, can I just hang out and watch, etc. I explained the process to her that all sales have to be advertised in the newspaper, where to look in the paper for that info, and what kind of info she would see. I said some facilities include the name, unit number, and contents of the unit, while some just include the name and contents. She then says, "so you have no idea what's in a unit other than, say, boxes". I told her we can't go in the unit and can only go by what we see from the outside. If it's full of boxes, I will say something like 'boxes of unknown contents'. She's clearly fishing for info on/for someone but won't say who and I have no idea who she is. She said she would have called but thought she'd "have better luck in person". What? Is she trying to get a friend's/family member's stuff back? Does she think someone here has stuff that belongs to her in their unit? I have 2 tenants scheduled for auction later this month, neither owing anything near the dollar amount she suggested bringing. I'm really curious as to what/who she's looking for.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

This type of customer sets off all the bells, whistles and alarms. This might be an ex or future ex of a tenant or more likely a tenant or friend of a tenant trying to glean some information on the auction process. If she comes back and said it was such a great visit the last time I was here and I need storage, do not rent to her.

I am so glad we switched from in-person auctions to online. I hated having people wander around my facility during an auction. The worst was the 70's Mustang in my lot and every guy wanting to give me their phone number to pass along to the tenant.

I used to take pictures with the unit number for the auction posting's but quit, after I started getting some high dollar units (Snap On rolling toolboxes, machine shop equipment, etc.). I did not want people snooping around, asking questions or knowing which you contained such items.

Comment

This lady came in again today, only this time was asking if I do UHaul rentals. I recognized her but couldn't remember the circumstances under which I'd seen her previously. I first thought she was either a recent tenant or the wife of one. Nope. Only after really thinking about for a little while did it occur to me that she's the woman from my original post. Still don't have any idea who she is or if she's "related" in some way to one of my tenants.
      When she came in the first time, it was about a week after the second lien notice had been published in the newspaper. One of those units sold at auction, the other did not. Oddly, about a month after the sale, the tenant who had the unit that didn't sell at auction came in inquiring about his stuff. It was still in his unit as I hadn't tossed it yet. I told him if he wanted it, he needed to pay what was owed and get his stuff out. He paid, said he'd be back the following Tuesday or Wednesday, but never came back for his stuff. I tried calling him but his number was no longer in service, so, I mailed him a letter that gave him until 3PM on 10/15 to get his stuff or it would get tossed. (I haven't tossed it yet as his unit is a 5x5, full to the brim, and I'm waiting for my new dumpster to be delivered cuz the bottom's about to fall out of my current on) He never called or showed. Now, oddly, this woman shows up again and happens to be looking for a UHaul. Seems weird now that she shows up when there's something going on with this one tenant.

Comment

So the original tenant comes to the office some 30 days AFTER the sale.
        He is technically, no longer your tenant BUT still pays the entire balance that was owed?
        AND he stated that he would be back to get his stuff and never comes back???
        Red Flag Warning!
        Why on Earth would he pay for a 5x5 of boxes in FULL and not go in the unit to get at least one box let alone all of them???
        Makes me think that he is up to something else on the property.

After the no sale at auction, did you take an opportunity to look INSIDE any of the boxes?? LOL
        Do you have any idea of what is in the boxes?
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
          So the original tenant comes to the office some 30 days AFTER the sale.
          He is technically, no longer your tenant BUT still pays the entire balance that was owed?
          AND he stated that he would be back to get his stuff and never comes back???
          Red Flag Warning!
          Why on Earth would he pay for a 5x5 of boxes in FULL and not go in the unit to get at least one box let alone all of them???
          Makes me think that he is up to something else on the property.

After the no sale at auction, did you take an opportunity to look INSIDE any of the boxes?? LOL
          Do you have any idea of what is in the boxes?
          Yes, yes, and yes.
          He's not a tenant now. His unit was closed on the day of the sale and is overlocked still. He has no gate code to get in/out.
          But, it's not just boxes, there's a mattress crammed in there, some furniture cushions thrown on top and other loose items. He's been here a long time and other than being late all the time, I've never had any issues with him. He was rarely here and not at all since June of last year. I was just as surprised as you when I told him I still had his stuff and he had to pay up if he wanted it and he paid. Guess he didn't want it that bad. I even made sure when we spoke on the day he paid, AND in the letter I sent him that him paying did not renew his lease with us.
          Nope, never looked at the stuff in the unit. Maybe I'll do that today. Now you've got me curious. LOL

Comment

Update: just looked in unit. There is a loveseat, on it's end, in one corner. I never noticed it because there are various boxes stacked on it and partially blocked it from view. From what I can tell from the boxes, I looked in any that were accessible, it seems to be household stuff: picture frames, towel racks, folding luggage holder (like you see in hotels), clothing drying rack, pasta maker. I'll look more when I can get the mattress and furniture cushions out of the way. Unless there's money or drugs hidden in the mattress and/or loveseat, there doesn't seem to be anything this woman would want. Unless some of it's hers. But then I'd think she, or the former tenant, would be much more persistent in getting it.

Comment

Ugh, I hate weird people like this. Hopefully you solve the mystery.
              "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
              Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
              Always sunny in California

Comment

Mystery solved!!!! She is the daughter of a tenant who is deceased. She was just in here to pay another month on the unit until she and her brother decide if there's anything worth keeping in it. So she must have been asking about the auction process in case they decided to just stop paying, and then just inquiring on a UHaul in case they decide to just load it all up and haul it off to the dump, or wherever.
                Last edited by DairyGirl; 22 October 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                  Mystery solved!!!!
                  aaaand?

Comment

I just update/edited the post.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                      Mystery solved!!!! She is the daughter of a tenant who is deceased. She was just in here to pay another month on the unit until she and her brother decide if there's anything worth keeping in it. So she must have been asking about the auction process in case they decided to just stop paying, and then just inquiring on a UHaul in case they decide to just load it all up and haul it off to the dump, or wherever.
                      Different unit?

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Different unit?
                        Yes, completely unrelated to the tenant who paid but never claimed his stuff.
                        She came in today and I just asked her if she had a unit here. She laughed and said no, then I learned who she was.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X