Cop wants info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop wants info

I am in Spokane and a tenant was accused of selling stolen items out of his unit. He is supposedly a well known drug dealer also. The cops arrested the tenant and hauled him and some of his stuff away. The cop had, at one point, said he was going to get a search warrant and then came back in a few hours later and took stuff out of the unit. I was not here, my co worker was and she didn't ask to see a warrant. Long story but the cops had to release the tenant and are pissed. He had 2 friends with him, all carrying, and one ran and got away. I am back at work and there is a note from the employee saying the arresting officer wants a copy of the tenants lease and "anything else we can legally give him". Doesn't the same thing apply, that I need to see a warrant or subpoena? We gave the tenant until Sept. 16 to get out and he is working on it.
    Last edited by Irishone; 3 September 2021, 01:24 PM.

I am as pro-law enforcement as anyone. However, I would require a warrant or subpoena to release any information or allow any access to the unit. The cops are just trying to nail the bad guy, but you are just trying to protect yourself legally. What I wouldn't hesitate to do is to tell a little fib to the bad guy and say the cops will be here on Tuesday Sep-7 and they will have warrants and access to the unit. You can bet he and his friends will get their stuff off your property this weekend. Give the cops a heads up and they can nail them in transit and do a reasonable suspicion search when they are off your property.... just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMac View Post
      I am as pro-law enforcement as anyone. However, I would require a warrant or subpoena to release any information or allow any access to the unit. The cops are just trying to nail the bad guy, but you are just trying to protect yourself legally. What I wouldn't hesitate to do is to tell a little fib to the bad guy and say the cops will be here on Tuesday Sep-7 and they will have warrants and access to the unit. You can bet he and his friends will get their stuff off your property this weekend. Give the cops a heads up and they can nail them in transit and do a reasonable suspicion search when they are off your property.... just a thought.
      OOoooh. Great idea. Thanks.

Comment

Don't give anything without a warrant and if a warrant does show up make sure what it is that they are looking for?
        Just access to the unit?
        Then that is all they can get.
        If the warrant says specifically the copy of the LA don't give them more than what the warrant is looking for.
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Warrant warrant warrant, THEN info. That's the law (make your your asst manager knows). Steve Mac is a genius however.
          "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
          Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
          Always sunny in California

Comment

I agree with what everyone says Search Warrant FIRST. THEN information. Give them exactly what the warrant or subpoena says and nothing more. They shouldn't want more because if they got the info legally that might mess up their case against him. They want him to stay in jail and not get out on a technicality.

You said "then came back in a few hours later and took stuff out of the unit." How did he get in the unit? What did he take? You said your co worker didn't asked for it but did he actually have a warrant for that visit?

A while ago the police showed up because they heard that stolen goods were being stored here then taken somewhere else maybe to get it sold. I told them they needed a warrant and they got one for storage unit A01 ( not real unit ). Before they cut the lock they had someone video that they read the search warrant and all the information TO UNIT A01. Then we cut the lock. The unit was empty except for lots of fake ID's stuck behind the roll up door.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
              I agree with what everyone says Search Warrant FIRST. THEN information. Give them exactly what the warrant or subpoena says and nothing more. They shouldn't want more because if they got the info legally that might mess up their case against him. They want him to stay in jail and not get out on a technicality.

You said "then came back in a few hours later and took stuff out of the unit." How did he get in the unit? What did he take? You said your co worker didn't asked for it but did he actually have a warrant for that visit?

A while ago the police showed up because they heard that stolen goods were being stored here then taken somewhere else maybe to get it sold. I told them they needed a warrant and they got one for storage unit A01 ( not real unit ). Before they cut the lock they had someone video that they read the search warrant and all the information TO UNIT A01. Then we cut the lock. The unit was empty except for lots of fake ID's stuck behind the roll up door.
              I MEANT to say if they got the info ILLEGALLY ( not legally ) that might mess up their case against him.
              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X