Gate usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate usage

What do you consider too much daily gate usage for a tenant (non-business)?

That would be considered on a case-by-case basis. Are they in their unit, moving things around, loading or unloading things, or just loitering? Is it other/different people using the code to access? Are they opening the gate for others to come in and out a lot? What is the source of the high traffic, is what I would base it off of. I have some tenants that visit their unit several times a day, non-business, and I don't say anything because they're not loitering and not bothering anyone and gone after about 10 minutes. I've had some tenants I've had to do non-renewals on because they were giving strangers their code to come buy stuff out of their units and also had some that would stand at the gate letting people on with their code to look at and buy stuff out of their units.

Comment

I don't care if they're in and out, I care if they spend hours upon hours and spreading their stuff everywhere. If they go in, are neat and quick and out and not letting other folks in and not causing problems. Mazel tov. I have an older tenant who is here, in and out all day long. But he's there for an hour and then gone to do other things then back to do something else. (not so much in the summer when it's ridiculously hot, but more now). I'm nosy as heck so I keep an eye out. I agree with Angela-case by case basis.
      "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
      Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
      Always sunny in California

Comment

If someone comes in once a day, I'm suspicious. Usually when I notice a high frequency I'll watch the gate logs for a bit, check them out on the cameras and generally make myself aware of them. Eventually I'll visit them at their unit and see what's going on. I'm pretty clear with my move in speech that my facility is for storage only, and point out as we drive through that there is nobody on the site. Nobody on site = highest security possible for everybody. I invite them to come to their unit when they need to, but don't loiter.

Coming once a day usually means they're either working out of the unit or living out of it, both prohibited here.
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

I have one tenant that comes multiple times during the day.

He sells items on the internet.
          He makes an appointment for buyers to come and pick up what they bought.
          My tenant does not bother me nor do his guests.
          The pull up and text him, he walks to the exit side of the gate and enters his code to allow them in.

You must look at it on a case by case scenario.

This particular tenant you are asking about..how many times a day is he or she visiting the site?
          When this person will be there do you physically walk by to let your presence be known AND to see what they are doing?
          Are your spidey senses going off and that is what prompted your question?
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Also to me I can appreciate my particular tenant that I posted about.
            I look at this way.
            When he is on the property he can be a theft deterrent.
            In that a would be thief will not try and access since someone is here.
            And with my particular tenant only he knows when he needs to be here.
            So it's like having a watch dog that I don't have to walk or feed!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
              That would be considered on a case-by-case basis. Are they in their unit, moving things around, loading or unloading things, or just loitering? Is it other/different people using the code to access? Are they opening the gate for others to come in and out a lot? What is the source of the high traffic, is what I would base it off of. I have some tenants that visit their unit several times a day, non-business, and I don't say anything because they're not loitering and not bothering anyone and gone after about 10 minutes. I've had some tenants I've had to do non-renewals on because they were giving strangers their code to come buy stuff out of their units and also had some that would stand at the gate letting people on with their code to look at and buy stuff out of their units.
              My most recent case, he was 'working on fixing up' his motor home. But with more conversation, he was tired of the 'thumb' of his mother in law (the one paying for the storage) and trying to get the motor home repaired so he can move out from under her control. There did not appear to be any effort to get moved out, only littering, (and the claim that it was not theirs each time it was brought up), the amount of time they were here .... in 2 weeks there was 14 pages of gate usage, with 18 uses per page. In the past 2 months I had 4 complaints or concerns that he was living there. And one where someone seen ppl hanging around our gate, called, and on security you could his 'buddy' climbed over the gate and walk to his motorhome.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                Also to me I can appreciate my particular tenant that I posted about.
                I look at this way.
                When he is on the property he can be a theft deterrent.
                In that a would be thief will not try and access since someone is here.
                And with my particular tenant only he knows when he needs to be here.
                So it's like having a watch dog that I don't have to walk or feed!
                I had one of those. He kept me informed about what was going on, helpful at times. a tenant called him a camp monitor. ... Then we started adding up the unusual things he did, and looked at his gate usage, 59 pages in 3 months. He was always scrapping things out of the dumpster, no biggy. One time there was a harley frame (per my husband) in there. Our gate was down and the trash man would not have been able to get in. Our camp monitor was there (he was not asked nor did he offer) to open the gate to let him in. The next 2 weeks the trash was supposed to be picked up he offered to help like he did before, and he was a no show.

Comment

Originally posted by bwmary View Post

My most recent case, he was 'working on fixing up' his motor home. But with more conversation, he was tired of the 'thumb' of his mother in law (the one paying for the storage) and trying to get the motor home repaired so he can move out from under her control. There did not appear to be any effort to get moved out, only littering, (and the claim that it was not theirs each time it was brought up), the amount of time they were here .... in 2 weeks there was 14 pages of gate usage, with 18 uses per page. In the past 2 months I had 4 complaints or concerns that he was living there. And one where someone seen ppl hanging around our gate, called, and on security you could his 'buddy' climbed over the gate and walk to his motorhome.
                  Time to send him moseying along.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Time to send him moseying along.
                    I have done so ... but was considering looking to add a statement about gate usage to the lease agreement. Because his comment was, I thought 24 hour access ment I could come and go as much as I wanted since I just live around the corner.

Comment

I have done so ... but was considering looking to add a statement about gate usage to the lease agreement. Because his comment was, I thought 24 hour access ment I could come and go as much as I wanted since I just live around the corner.
                      Under 'Loitering' in our contract-, 'in general both the company and the lessee agree that there is no reason for the occupant to be at the facility for any more than 3 consecutive hours.'

Comment

We have a lot of businesses that store with us, so I don't mind people coming in and out during our gate hours. However, if you're working in the office, you know when tenants behavior changes and or they are actually loitering on site rather than "trying to find something in their unit".

We had a customer who all the sudden started staying on site for a couple hours in the morning and then again in the evenings. We made sure they were not staying overnight and we warned them that if they continued to loiter that we would restrict their access and give them a huge rate increase.

They were always trying to look for something in their space, but strangely, not much of their belongings ever came out of the space. I confronted them again and let them know for the safety of our facility and the tenant, they will have to check in at the office before entering the facility and they will be receiving an rent increase that more than doubled their monthly rate.

Ended up working out for both of us. I get a lot more rent and they only come to their space now a few times a week and its only for a few minutes... Amazing that they haven't had to "look for some documents" in quite some time.

Comment

I do not allow anyone to "work" on a a vehicle.
                          There is to be no tinkering of any kind under any hood of any vehicle!

I have one tenant who refurbishes office printing machines.
                          He is not under a vehicle changing the brakes and I do allow him to refurbish his machines.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Under 'Loitering' in our contract-, 'in general both the company and the lessee agree that there is no reason for the occupant to be at the facility for any more than 3 consecutive hours.'
                            Thanks ... looking to add something like this to our lease. ... or at least submit to owner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X