Requiring customers to present a valid ID before the tour of the Facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiring customers to present a valid ID before the tour of the Facility

Hello, I'm thinking of requiring our customer to show us their ID before showing them units in the facility. This is to give the staff some measure of protection and to make sure the customer is really the person who they say they are. What are your thoughts on this?

I had thought about this a couple of years ago, along with signing a liability waiver, in case of a cart accident or any other mishap. I was covering at another facility and was showing a unit and the hallway (rolling) door hit a person on the head. We completed an incident report and they did rent, but not the kind of first impression you want to have.

The ID requirement was to have information in case of any future issues on the facility. At the time, there was a rash of self storage thefts in the area. The gang of thieves were renting at pro-rate facilities at the end of the month or smaller units at anniversary/sign-up date facilities and paying cash. I believe, the ID's ended up being forgeries or stolen, so I guess it would not have mattered.

Comment

If I have someone that makes me uncomfortable I will have them leave here ID in the office. I also recommend our Assistant Manager to do that so if they are out side for a very long time we know they are showing a unit and if there is a problem we know who is with them.

Comment

If you're uncomfortable, do it. Never ignore your instincts. What's the crime like in your area?
        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
        Always sunny in California

Comment

Originally posted by Glendale Self Storage View Post
          If I have someone that makes me uncomfortable I will have them leave here ID in the office. I also recommend our Assistant Manager to do that so if they are out side for a very long time we know they are showing a unit and if there is a problem we know who is with them.
          Many apartment complexes do the same thing. Leave DL or ID on desk with note of what apartment they are showing. Another important tip is to make sure you are always on camera. Never step inside a storage space or take them where there is no video footage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X