Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break-ins - I'm in the security industry and doing research

Hi Everyone,

I would love to know and hear if you or people you know are experiencing in recent history a hike in break in.
    I'm especially interested to hear about how do they gain access to the facility such as through the gate, cut/climb the fence, by permitted access/tailgating.

We are a security company that serves the self storage industry and would love to hear more about the challenges you encounter to find ways to solve them better.

Break ins are way down this year. 90% of the time we have domestic related issues. Where someone uses the tenants code, goes straight to their unit and takes something.

It is about a year or so since we have had our last random break in. When the random break in's happen they usually pray on new tenants who have violated our lock rule. They have crappy easy to break into locks on the door. So we try to rein that in.

Comment

Hi Randy,
      Thank you for the answer! Do you guys have any RVs or equipment stored outside the units in the facility?

Comment

Early on at the start of the pandemic I had a break-in.
        2 young males used a bolt cutter to cut the fence and gain access to the property.
        They cut off 7 locks from occupied units.
        To the best of my knowledge and my cameras they got NOTHING!
        They never tried to come back either!
        The side of the property where they cut the fence is an apartment complex.
        I temporarily used zip-ties to sure up the hole until the repairs could be made AND I made a sign and hung it on the fence for them to read.
        The sign said PLEASE SMILE SO THE CAMERAS WILL GET A BETTER HEAD SHOT FOR THE POLICE! STAY OFF MY PROPERTY!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by RBtec View Post
          Hi Randy,
          Thank you for the answer! Do you guys have any RVs or equipment stored outside the units in the facility?
          Yes, we did have a catalytic converter stolen from an RV a couple weeks ago. Our cameras don't look between all the vehicles. Crooks can sneak in steal a converter, and be out quick and undetected. I really don't know how I can offer protection against that

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post

Yes, we did have a catalytic converter stolen from an RV a couple weeks ago. Our cameras don't look between all the vehicles. Crooks can sneak in steal a converter, and be out quick and undetected. I really don't know how I can offer protection against that
            I can't really offer you my product here but if you are fenced around a "fence alarm system" would be the ideal way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by RBtec View Post

I can't really offer you my product here but if you are fenced around a "fence alarm system" would be the ideal way to do it.
              My fence wasn't cut through either I am not sure how they came on the property

Comment

We have had 3 break ins here.
                1. He slid up the fence where the drainage pipe is. I used a metal sign to cover the hole and drilled it in.
                2. He cut the fence in the back. Broke in to a bunch of units and put the stuff in the far corner. Then cut my chain to drive in and get the stuff. It was raining so the camera couldn't get a clear shot.
                3. He cut the fence in the back and broke into about 13 units and from what we could see didn't take anything.

I want an electrified fence put in so I can fry these thieves! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Lou G View Post
                  We have had 3 break ins here.
                  1. He slid up the fence where the drainage pipe is. I used a metal sign to cover the hole and drilled it in.
                  2. He cut the fence in the back. Broke in to a bunch of units and put the stuff in the far corner. Then cut my chain to drive in and get the stuff. It was raining so the camera couldn't get a clear shot.
                  3. He cut the fence in the back and broke into about 13 units and from what we could see didn't take anything.

I want an electrified fence put in so I can fry these thieves! LOL
                  Lol-I told our construction manager I wanted pop up darts or nets so we could catch them. What you can do is get heavy gauge cattle fencing and attach it over your regular fencing.
                  "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                  Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                  Always sunny in California

Comment

We do not have a gated properties and usually have locks cut the few weeks up until Christmas. Prior to January I was only able to view the perimeter therefore had zero proof of who took what. This year I asked the owner to invest in a better camera system and can now view up and down every aisle as well as the perimeter. Last Saturday we had two locks cut and I was able to provide the police with video & stills along with pictures of faces and license plates. Well worth the investment!!!

Edited to add that while we ask for disc locks to be placed on units, some tenants decide to save the $3-5 and go with a cheap lock

Comment

Originally posted by BusyProperties View Post
                      We do not have a gated properties and usually have locks cut the few weeks up until Christmas. Prior to January I was only able to view the perimeter therefore had zero proof of who took what. This year I asked the owner to invest in a better camera system and can now view up and down every aisle as well as the perimeter. Last Saturday we had two locks cut and I was able to provide the police with video & stills along with pictures of faces and license plates. Well worth the investment!!!

Edited to add that while we ask for disc locks to be placed on units, some tenants decide to save the $3-5 and go with a cheap lock
                      I understand that you were able to provide the police with evidence but the camera system did not prevent the crime in real time.
                      That's where I'm trying to understand why there's no effort in preventive/real time detection vs cameras that do no help stopping the crime or damages.

Comment

Over the years, we have had some break-ins. A couple of fence cuttings, but mostly follow-ins and some targeted units. Ex-significant others are a common culprit.

What we have done to tighten security over the last decade:
                        1. Require disc locks. And immediately remove inferior locks.
                        2. Leave facility lights on all night. But lock the gate from 11pm to 5am.
                        3. Upgrade all cameras and recording systems.
                        4. Hire security patrols.
                        4. Engage customers to help monitor the facility.
                        5. Periodically suggest to customers that they change their gate code.
                        6. Only rent to customers with credit cards and smart phones.

I think numbers 1,2 and 6 are the most important. That said, sometimes they get in no matter what you do.

Comment

I love disc locks, but in the last break-in, the thieves just smashed the top of the disc locks with a 10lb sledgehammer. Knocked the lock straight thru the latch and allowed them to open the door. @#^% criminals. Grrr.

Comment

Yeah, to me cameras seem more like a "feel good measure". Unless you actually do get a license plate, just seeing the criminals really doesn't do much for the police.

Comment

Nothing is burglar/theft proof. Even brand new facilities with top of the line tech get hit. You can have tall fences but they cut through them, all of the cameras and they'll wear a hoodie and mask, you can have license place capture but the car is stolen, they can disguise themselves as new renters etc. etc. All you ~can~ do is, have cameras that are good, sharp cameras for vehicles in and out, trust your gut, be VERY specific at move in about consequences and the security that you do have, be friends with the local police, bright lights, sturdy locks, nosy managers. Make sure your tenants have insurance...
                              And then, you roll with it because that's all you can do at the end of the day. Be the best manager you can and get a rep for being tough on tenants shenanigans.
                              "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                              Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                              Always sunny in California

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X