Excessive Condensation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Condensation?

Ran into a bit of a weird situation, and hoping someone with knowledge on it can explain.

I've got 2 yr old buildings, and we have very rare condensation issues (inside on the walls / leaking onto the ground).

However, I just completed an expansion, and during a recent (and pretty crazy) spell of cool temps followed be 4-5 days of extra hot/humid for the season (northern IL)), I'm having excessive condensation...only in the new buildings. I'm talking about water literally sitting / puddling on the ground in most of the new building units.

The buildings were built the same, though the metal was provided by 2 different building companies. The new buildings might still have moisture that's sweating out of the concrete as it's rather new concrete. Wondering if there was any other explanation why during an expected time of condensation, the new buildings had more condensation (by a lot) than the "old" buildings.

(All of the buildings have insulation in the ceiling).

You may have ab issue with the ground water seeping in!

I did!
    For years!
    Took years to figure it out!
    The building is cement block and needed to be waterproofed outside!
    The grounds water was seeping into the block and then it would build up and "fall" like overhead drips in the building!
    For the longest time we thought it was a roof issue!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
      You may have ab issue with the ground water seeping in!

I did!
      For years!
      Took years to figure it out!
      The building is cement block and needed to be waterproofed outside!
      The grounds water was seeping into the block and then it would build up and "fall" like overhead drips in the building!
      For the longest time we thought it was a roof issue!
      Thanks. There is a vapor barrier below the concrete, so I didn't think it would be groundwater coming up.

They are all metal buildings (no block), and they did have condensation on the wall (you could see and feel the water), so it had to be air moisture....just crazy though how the new buildings had a lot more than the "old" buildings. That's why I was thinking maybe just the humidity + added sweat from the new concrete.

Comment

Well maybe look into installing a de-humidifier?

Comment

We had to install a French drain around the building and they wrapped it with that barrier product.

Comment

Not sure the exact cause but we have an older building where rapid temperature change always brings condensation. Airflow (think big fans) and damp rid bags hung up help a lot since the underlying cause is unfixable.

Comment

Concrete blocks were our culprit as well. But what you can do as an easy self test is get a 4x4 plastic sheet and tape it (seal the edges) to the concrete floor and leave it over night. Is it wet? Then maybe install commercial dehumidifiers that drain outside. That's what we ended up doing and it solved our issues. Or Lady's french drain idea.
              "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
              Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
              Always sunny in California

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X