Replacing Human Managers - VENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Human Managers - VENT

Obviously, I can't understand this business model.
    I would NEVER rent a unit at a place that had no on site human manager.

This business model is a call center and a maintenance man. My maintenance is absolutely NOT self-directed. He's excellent but he needs direction from a manager.

I also think it's laughable that these companies (3 mile storage management) think this is profitable.

An owner that tries to do this is going to bombarded with extra work. I handle everything for my owner. Everything. He does not lift a finger.

Here are some of the "automated" facility complaints:
    "DO NOT USE THIS FACILITY! BEGAN RENTAL OF UNIT IN AUGUST, HADN'T PLANNED ON RENTING UNITS LONG BUT THINGS HAPPEN. FIRST WAS SKEPTICAL BC THERE IS NO TYPE OF REPRESENTATIVE ON SITE TO SPEAK WITH, EVERYTHING IS DONE BY KIOSKS."

"The registration process is a bit lengthy, and the waiting time on the phone are quite long..."

"Gate won’t open! Y’all need to get your act together and fix or prop open (w guard) the broken gate. Memorial Day weekend and ppl can’t access their equipment for their landscaping businesses, boats/jet skis, and everything else. Over 24 hours and our stuff is inaccessible. Unacceptable."

"I rented a 10x10 and when i got there, i tried to input the gate code. I tried both gates and neither worked. Customer service number was offline. Texted the number on the gate to open the gate. Came up with an error. I had to rent another unit from another company. Wasted my money."

"Go elsewhere. In less than a month of having a unit, the door to our storage unit has failed to open on 2 different occasions. There is no one on site, so we've called customer service and had to wait and wait and wait for someone to come help. (They've tried to help via technology, but the door just clicks and never unlocks. This makes it a pretty large waste of time and an overall frustrating experience.) Save yourself the trouble."

Yea, real efficient.

My facility is at 98% full. Tenants appreciate the peace of mind that I (or my assistant manager) are on site.

I love it when these email get sent directly to me. Have a little more tact. You're trying to replace me, why would you send me an email?

We also have a call center too. I can tell you that our facility would not be 98% if they were running sales.
    Last edited by NCstorageguru; 26 September 2022, 11:22 AM.

To each his own. Different models work for different owners.

Comment

Originally posted by RHS_TX View Post
      To each his own. Different models work for different owners.
      I'm assuming you're an owner. So good for you!

Comment

I think different areas have different needs for this. I know in the more rural areas of TX, they are almost all unmanned, unfenced, ungated and still work well. That's all they expect.

Here in Orange County, CA, nearly every property has an ON-SITE manager with an office open at least 6 days a week. And here, that's what they expect.
        MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
          I know in the more rural areas of TX, they are almost all unmanned, unfenced, ungated and still work well. That's all they expect.
          Exactly (although mine are fenced and gated with cameras) I've been running two facilities in Central Texas remotely with none of the problems and gripes mentioned above. In fact, my tenants seem to prefer the hands-off approach. As long as they know that I have eyes on the property and keep it well maintaned, that's all they need.

Comment

I can fully appreciate a good vent when it's needed!! And I can understand how the inept management of some facilities could be pretty annoying and give the whole industry a black eye, but I will tell you from experience that you can run these businesses without an on-site manager if you want.
            You will need an excellent person to take calls and handle problems, a management and gate control system that is near flawless, and good security. But you can find these things.
            I have operated three remote facilities with 1100 units total for 15 years. And we constantly have 5 star reviews and happy customers!
            Personally, I doubt I would use a call center, but I am guessing there are some facilities that do it successfully. Go with what works best for you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bubba
              A customer calls 5 minutes until closing time....
              by Bubba
              A customer calls us 5 minutes before closing time needing a unit tonight. (First red flag.) We did have some units available. Their kid is moving that night. I explain to her the rental process, collect her data, etc. Two things left to do. Send me her ID and sign the lease. For the life of her...
              Today, 05:58 PM
            • Bubba
              Reply to So this is a HUGE problem…anyone else dealt with this?
              by Bubba
              .This is why due diligence is so important before buying. As a buyer, one of my biggest concerns is fake accounts being created to boost the numbers.

To answer your question, follow your state lien laws. I would probably take an extra step and consult with a self storage attorney just...
              Today, 05:52 PM
            • Jblake
              Reply to Creating a No Rent List
              by Jblake
              A “DO NOT RENT LIST” is a feature offered in Storage Commander software and to the best of my knowledge it is the only storage management software that offers this....
              Today, 02:34 PM
            Working...
            X