Fence Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence Questions

How tall of fence is everyone putting around their storage facility? I am in a low crime area and have never had a break in. Was wondering if 6' would be to short? Also do most people put barbed wire around the top? One last question is your posts in concrete or just dirt?
    Last edited by Sparkey; 24 January 2023, 06:36 AM.

My fences are 6 foot chain link and I've never had a break-in. I do have barbed wire on top but these days I think that's over-kill.

With so many battery operated cutting tools and angle grinders available, today's thief is a lazy SOB that will likely cut your fence instead of trying to climb over. Cutting also makes it easier for him to make off with his loot.

Corner posts and every 3rd or 4th line post should be in concrete. Your fence contractor will make that call.

Comment

We have 6' chainlink with some nasty barbwire on top. I would do both. The visual of the barbwire is reassuring to customers plus it might force potential thieves to cut their way in creating evidence of the break in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
        How tall of fence is everyone putting around their storage facility? I am in a low crime area and have never had a break in. Was wondering if 6' would be to short? Also do most people put barbed wire around the top? One last question is your posts in concrete or just dirt?
        What does your city or county code allow? Many dictat how tall the fence can be and if barbed wire if allowed. I have some 6' some 7' and some 8'

When you are installing a fence like that you definitely need to cement the posts. Much more weight than your standard 3 or 4' chain-link backyard fencing.

Comment

We have 6' chain link with no barbed wire. All posts in cement. Used black vinyl coated mesh wire.
          https://coolairstorage.com/
          Citronelle, AL 36522

Comment

I have an 8' fence surrounding the entire property. I don't want barbed wire on top as I don't want to look like a prison. I have a top bar, and a cable strung along the bottom edge. I just had a conversation with my fence contractor on a new expansion, and he said that all the new government contracts he has are requiring a bottom bar, and a cable strung along the top edge. Evidently thinking has changed and they find that more secure and more likely to deter infiltration over/under the fencing.

Of course, as pointed out above, the easy crime workaround is just to snip through the fence with a $5 pair of bolt cutters and then just walk through...

Comment

As long as you have a great camera system, the height of the fencing doesn't matter much

Comment

I have 6 ft wrought iron in the front, with the poky parts facing out, 8 foot chain link on the right side and back, and 8 ft block wall ending in chain link 10 feet tall on the other side. (a little bit of this, a little bit of that...lol)
                My other facility has 8 ft block wall with concertina wire (barbed wire with razor pieces) atop and 6 foot decorative wrought iron out front.
                "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                Always sunny in California

Comment

We also keep an eagle on the heights and release two malnourished German shepherds at dark. Crime has been nonexistent
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by helenatim View Post
                    We also keep an eagle on the heights and release two malnourished German shepherds at dark. Crime has been nonexistent
                    WOW! (poor doggos)

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinCali View Post

WOW! (poor doggos)
                      You do know I am joking, right?

Comment

Originally posted by helenatim View Post

You do know I am joking, right?
                        Of course! I was wowing the eagle, my 'poor doggos' was in response to your joke.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinCali View Post

Of course! I was wowing the eagle, my 'poor doggos' was in response to your joke.
                          Whew! I was worried about you for a second there...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• lady5563
                            Reply to Suspicious Theft
                            by lady5563

Ha Ha Ha...
                            Today, 01:58 PM
                          • LoisG
                            Reply to Suspicious Theft
                            by LoisG
                            Right?!
                            When he said that, my ears perked up & became immediately suspicious. Then when he asked if we reimbursed him for the losses, I was thinking, "Get the heck outta here!"...
                            Today, 12:48 PM
                          • lady5563
                            Reply to An Average Day
                            by lady5563
                            Wait---so you do have it narrowed down to 2 possible suspects/tenants?

Are you going to call them BOTH and ask if they happened to leave something behind on this specific day and time that you know they were there?

If I had it narrowed down to 2 people---I KNOW I would be making...
                            Today, 10:44 AM
                          Working...
                          X