Surveillance Footage Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surveillance Footage Question

Hey all. I'm researching whether a facility has to turn over surveillance footage to the police. So far, what I've found suggests that you only have to turn it over if there's a subpoena.

How do you handle it if officers doing an active investigation ask for footage? Are there any circumstances when you would not simply cooperate? Is a subpoena the only way they can get it, or is a search warrant also enough?

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my previous questions as well.

I can understand not giving out account information, or letting officers in without a warrant.

But camera footage from your properties cameras are yours, and not your customers. So I don't believe it would be required for you to get a subpoenaed, but it is something you could request.

Is there someone you are trying to protect by not handing over footage? It seems strange that you wouldn't hand over a video they requested.

Comment

I agree with RandyL . Sometimes the Police will get a search warrant for a really solid case so there are NO questions. That being said I flat out offer, they are for the facility/owner benefit not the tenants.
      Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

I have done it before. The police sent a forensic's guy in and he downloaded footage of a vehicle coming in and circling the facility and then out but doing it very slowly. The vehicle did it two times 45 minutes apart. The police wanted facial recognition that was easy at the gate keypad cameras and the license and of course what they did while on the premises. I gladly let them do it all. They were up front with me about what they were looking for and I knew one of the cops from being a tenant here. Personal tenat info and unit access is a different story but camera footage is my domain, not the tenant's.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

With the proliferation of video cameras, police will frequently request video when they see a camera in the vicinity of a crime. When Ive been on ride alongs, officers were always looking for cameras near crime scenes. Because of this, I installed four outward-looking cameras at my property that might assist in an investigation. I consider it part of being a good partner with law enforcement, and a good member of the community helping fight crime.

Comment

Originally posted by tomokc View Post
            With the proliferation of video cameras, police will frequently request video when they see a camera in the vicinity of a crime. When Ive been on ride alongs, officers were always looking for cameras near crime scenes. Because of this, I installed four outward-looking cameras at my property that might assist in an investigation. I consider it part of being a good partner with law enforcement, and a good member of the community helping fight crime.
            I have one outward looking camera that covers the entrance at the street and has a wide angle and can see my mailbox at the edge of the street. Opened one morning to find my mailbox destroyed. Pieces of a white passenger side mirror assembly that pointed to a foreign car. I watched how it all happened on my playback. Could not make out the license plate though. The car had turned out from a side street up the road, again all on camera, and was obviously drunk and crossed out in to oncoming traffic and then finally steered back to the correct lane but over compensated and then jumped the beveled edge of the curb at my driveway entrance and rode that down the top of the curb till it hit the mailbox and continued on out of sight. I did not get the police involved, probably should have, but for about two weeks I was in and out of all the apartment complexes on the horseshoe shaped loop my facility is on looking for that car. Never did find it. It was at night. If it was during the day the lighting would have been better and I am sure a license plate could have been read.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

If an officer came in and asked to see camera footage I would pull it up on the computer and let him view it. I can only imagine it would help in any investigation and since it is ours to give out I would do it. I agree with everyone else here - tenant info is different but the surveillance footage can be given out.

Do you have a certain situation that you are wondering about? or just giving it out in general?
              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I had an experience with this very issue. A tenants unit was compromised, so they called the police immediately. 2 patrol police showed up and wanted access to the unit for fingerprints, etc. I said "Nope" They asked for video as well and I told them I am happy to help, you need to send a Forensic Detective to download the footage. They never did. Guess it wasn't that important.

Comment

Thanks, everyone! So, what I'm getting is this.

1. You don't give out customer information without a warrant or subpoena.
                  2. You don't have to share camera footage with the police without a warrant of subpoena, but there's virtually no reason why you wouldn't. Since it belongs to the facility, and not to a specific customer, there's no problem sharing it.

We have no specific situation in mind. I write for StoreLocal and StorageFront, and have done guest posts for ISS. We wanted to cover this topic for the StoreLocal blog, here:

https://storelocal.com/storelocal-blog/

I joined the forum recently because fairly often we want to write about topics that are tough to research, but that people in the industry would know about, and everyone here has been so helpful. I really appreciate it. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X