Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Reporting bad debt to credit bureaus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting bad debt to credit bureaus

Has anyone ever done this for someone who hasn't paid and you auctioned off their unit?

I got all wound up on my first one where I lost a few hundred bucks, but never followed through.

I came to two conclusions:
    1 - Life is too short. If the unit is empty and I can rent it to someone else, that is a win. COllecting anything meaningful on the auction is a bonus.
    2 - I auction delinquent units as rapidly as possible to minimize loss and maximize the chance that they will actually pay before the auction. This makes a big difference. Don't let them get too far behind and there is a lot better chance you get paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
      I got all wound up on my first one where I lost a few hundred bucks, but never followed through.

I came to two conclusions:
      1 - Life is too short. If the unit is empty and I can rent it to someone else, that is a win. COllecting anything meaningful on the auction is a bonus.
      2 - I auction delinquent units as rapidly as possible to minimize loss and maximize the chance that they will actually pay before the auction. This makes a big difference. Don't let them get too far behind and there is a lot better chance you get paid.
      Good points! Thanks!

Comment

And, if you've ever ignored what a tenant owes just to get them to move out, and you have their SSN, you can fill out an IRS form for a "Forgiven debt". The IRS treats it as taxable income and will send them a bill for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          And, if you've ever ignored what a tenant owes just to get them to move out, and you have their SSN, you can fill out an IRS form for a "Forgiven debt". The IRS treats it as taxable income and will send them a bill for it.
          DEVIOUS!!! I like it.
          I want buns of steel.
          I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Don at Universal Credit in San Diego (he does nationwide collections, he's very easy to work with) works with you to get your money. Last I knew he took a percentage off the top of what was owed.
            I want buns of steel.
            I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

After an auction, if the unit doesn't sell we add the cost of disposal and clean up to the amount owed and document how we dispose of it ( donated to Goodwill, taken to the dump- get the receipt for it) and we give the tenant 30 days to make payment arrangements.If they don't, then we send it to collections.We hold on to that paperwork for several years just in case.
              You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

We do not report to collections agencies. I don't say that to tenants. I tell them I will report.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                  Reply to Joking Around
                  pacnwstorage
                  He Loved Hearing His Own Voice
                  Ronald was sitting at the breakfast table one Sunday morning reading the USA Today entertainment section.

He had just read an article about a beautiful movie star who had announced that she was going to marry a football player, who was famous not only for...
                  Yesterday, 10:52 PM
                • bentsmom
                  Reply to Thanksgiving Week
                  bentsmom
                  We started a little early and held Customer Appreciations Days at our 3 offices this past Friday and Saturday. For two days we had snacks & refreshments for our customers. Saturday we held a drawing at each office for a gift basket worth $100.00 each. We did not get tons of people but anyone who...
                  Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                • Steve_hajewski
                  Reply to Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!
                  Steve_hajewski
                  Lock the empty units. While yes, a person could rent a unit and eventually get into the neighboring one, you should at least then have a photo and scan of their ID which should be a pretty good deterrent. Plus, what they said above is good advice.

A person could assemble buildings with...
                  Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                Working...
                X