Old Boats, what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Boats, what to do?

I have a tenant that rented one space for a old boat, then brought 3 more in when the office was closed. he will not answer his phone and his lien letters keep coming back unclaimed with a different address number, like he moved down his original street, those come back also. They are in bad condition and not reported stolen. What can I do with the boats?

First: Welcome to the forum. Second: He is likely disposing of his junk. You should follow the lien process to auction and get rid of the boats. Hopefully you documented everything about all of this. When he started, what he first put in the spot, when and what he put in later, all attempts to contact and the steps taken to sell the boats. It sounds like you already did a title search. Sell 'em and rent the space again. If the first boat was junk, I never would have allowed the boat to be stored there. This is how entitled people deal with their problems, it all gets dumped on someone else.

I don't like being played like that. If I had to deal with this and then saw him on a street, well, let's just say "surprise attack".
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong. Are all the boats occupying the same space or did he dump them in additional spaces? My thought would be, if they're in multiple spaces that you have no rental agreement for, you could just have them towed like any other vehicle that is left on the property.

Perhaps an addendum to the rental agreement is needed for parking spaces that only approved vehicles that the company has been provided a copy of the registration and insurance for can be stored. All other vehicles will be towed at owners expense.

Comment

I think I will have the 3 extras hauled off. They are in better shape then the 1 he legally parked. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

If you want, after a failed auction or after enough time goes by, sell the 3 better boats "as is" to someone. Are they all on trailers? Are the extra boats taking up other spaces?

Comment

Yes they took 3 more spaces, they are all on trailers and are inboard motors . Last auction I said these will probably be coming up soon and a few were interested.
            i have chained them all together in case he tries to get them out on a sunday when the office is closed.

Comment

Originally posted by bowie View Post
              I think I will have the 3 extras hauled off. They are in better shape then the 1 he legally parked. Thanks for the replies.
              Just to CYA make sure you have a sign posted on the property about no parking and/or unattended vehicles will be towed at owners expense. if the sign is visible from the boats, it wouldn't hurt to take a picture showing that.

Comment

I would chain them up with more than one chain. It sounds like there is no facility fence? Lock out the gate code if there is a fence and lock those boats down real good.

Comment

We have a fence but the gate stays open 7am to 7pm everyday.

Comment

With a gate that stays open 12 hours a day there is no way to keep a problem tenant from entering the facility and gaining access to items, especially with outdoor storage. Put a landmine out for him.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X