Auction--half a unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction--half a unit

Anybody do this and have input one way or another?

I have an occupant due for a lien sale. About half of the stuff, enough to fill a 5x10, is professional and legal documents and can't be sold. Normally with documents there's maybe a box full, and out of courtesy we give them 30 days to pick it up, no charge. But considering the volume in this case and the work I did to relocate it, plus the fact that they had come back from the brink of auction a couple years ago to resume renting, means I'm not willing to do that in this case.

So after separating what can be sold from what can't, my intent is to have an auction for half the stuff, then hold the account open for the documents in the smaller unit, which size I have several other available. It seems weird, but I don't see anything in the law that says a) everything in the unit must be sold or gotten rid of, b) the sale automatically terminates rental or c) we have no authority to charge new rent after a sale. However, it's particularly that last part that has me wondering.

Thanks.

You hold half of their stuff and then give it back to them at no charge? Wow, not me. They would pay, do not let the business run you!
    Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

A Paper shredder can solve your problems

Comment

How do you know it can't be sold? Not up to you to decide. Just because of what someone says? Sell it! they are responsible for what is in the unit, not you.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear. This is a 5x10 unit full of documents from the person's job. They happen to be a lawyer, and selling it would be a big privacy violation for the clients--and yes, once I know the type of documents that are in there, I do become legally responsible if a buyer uses/misuses them. There's no way in hell I would take the time to shred 400 cubic feet of paper, or spend my own money to either rent a truck or have a recycling company come in. At some point I'll have a salvager make a run to the dump. As for letting someone have their stuff for free, anywhere I've heard it, it is standard practice if there is a box or so of old tax forms, baby pictures, etc, (which is not what I'm talking about in this case) to give them a month to pick it up without charge after the sale.

Comment

This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. Except my lawyer tenant died. He did not leave any instructions how payment would continue or what would happen to the contents in the event of his death. So his estate lawyer is trying to figure out what to do. In the mean time, I have a 10x10 unit continuing to charge rent and no one to pay it. I'm thinking a shredder as well, but like McGeeBee, I don't think I should have to pay for it.
            Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I wonder if the state bar association would be able to step in and help? Or is there a firm that tenant worked for that could take the documents?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                I wonder if the state bar association would be able to step in and help? Or is there a firm that tenant worked for that could take the documents?
                If you cant get any of them to take it, destroy it all. But I would look into your state laws.

Comment

Great article on this topic.
                  Amy Campbell
                  Editor
                  Inside Self-Storage
                  amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Call the state bar. I'm also dealing with this. The state bar is going to come by in person to decide what to do with the 5x10 unit amount of legal files that we have. When I had a guy with mortgage documents we had to shred them at our expense. I'm hoping this is not the case this time.
                    I want buns of steel.
                    I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                      This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. Except my lawyer tenant died. He did not leave any instructions how payment would continue or what would happen to the contents in the event of his death. So his estate lawyer is trying to figure out what to do. In the mean time, I have a 10x10 unit continuing to charge rent and no one to pay it. I'm thinking a shredder as well, but like McGeeBee, I don't think I should have to pay for it.
                      Call the state bar. We'll see who gets rid of their documents first..lol.
                      I want buns of steel.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

We had this happen to us too, except it was a 10x20 and you couldn't tell that half of it was documents. We auctioned it and the bidders left everything that they couldn't sell. Which, as it turns out, was at least a 10x10 worth of documents. We had to pay to shred it.
                        I think that's a great idea tho, to call the state bar. hopefully they will do something so it doesn't all fall on you!
                        "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

The confidentiality is between the lawyer and the client. If the papers become public that is the lawyers fault

Comment

Update-our WA State Bar stopped in and gave our docs a look at. They're asking their 'special counsel' what he wants to do. If I had to bet a doughnut, we're going to be paying for shredding.
                            I want buns of steel.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X