Change of address procedures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of address procedures

When the post office returns a late letter that you mailed to a client and it comes back with a new forwarding address, do you:

- Update their address in your software based solely on the post office notice, and continue sending late/auction related noticed to the new address?
    - COntact the customer via other means (email, text) to try to get verification of the change?
    - Send further notices to both address?
    - Ignore the post office notice and depend only on the info the client gave you him or herself?

Just curious about how other operators handle this.

I send the letter and a change of address form to the new address, put a note on their account to remind me to get the new address in writing and send notices to both addresses.
    Janice - Maxi-Space Storage and Business Solutions

Comment

Until I get written confirmation from the tenant on the address, I send notices to both.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
        Until I get written confirmation from the tenant on the address, I send notices to both.
        Like DG, this. Plus I will call, email and text and call alternate to get a hold of the tenant to get the new address. I do not take that info over the phone. They can mail in and come in or email it to me. They can text it as well. I will take a pic of the text or the email or the letter and save that pic on my computer and print out and put a copy in the file.

If a check comes in with a different address, I also get a hold of them.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We get a change of address notice from the post office then we get our change of address form, put it and a self addressed envelope in an envelope and send it to the 'new' address. I've seen ~one~ returned. We also put the new address information in their notes as well and in the 'note' section we put, NEED NEW ADDRESS to remind us is we speak to them on the phone.
          I want buns of steel.
          I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

I would check your local laws to see what it says. The law in my state, Missouri, only requires that the notice is sent to the last address they provided. I usually send an unregistered letter to the new address if the certified one is returned. Just in case I get sued later, I can show I went above and beyond what the law requires

Comment

Originally posted by lighthousealarms View Post
              I would check your local laws to see what it says. The law in my state, Missouri, only requires that the notice is sent to the last address they provided. I usually send an unregistered letter to the new address if the certified one is returned. Just in case I get sued later, I can show I went above and beyond what the law requires
              We do that as well. I send all sort of regular letters to addresses with the false sense of hope that someone will reply.
              I want buns of steel.
              I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

My steps are pretty close to the same. First state law in Iowa says a tenants address is the last address given on the rental agreement, or if they notify us via certified mail. I think it is ridiculous to force my tenants to send me a certified letter to change their address. So me and my lawyer created an addendum to our lease for changing the address.

So in order for me to change the legal address they either need to sign my lease addendum or notify me by certified mail.

When the post office notifies us of a new address we will contact the tenant to see how they would like to update it. Most choose to sign our form digitally through our adobe sign service. If we don't get contact from them we will duel send out all legal notices to any additional address. None legal notices we don't duel send.

Check your states lien laws before you start accepting change of addresses written on napkins or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by lighthousealarms View Post
                  That's why I like the fact that I don't have to send certified. I don't have to worry about them getting the little card that says they have certified mail to pick up. Chances are they know what it is and ignore it. By sending with certificate of mailing, they will get it, as long as the address is correct. It's not my problem if they choose to not open/ignore it.

I am also only required to send to the address on the lease. But, if I have another one, I will send there, too. Never hurts to go above and beyond a little bit, even though some don't deserve it.

Comment

I will notate the tenants notes that a piece of mail was returned.
                    If the post office has supplied the new address I will notate that in the notes.
                    We can not just change the address based on a yellow sticker form the post office.
                    I will attempt to make phone contact to speak about a possible new address.
                    If the tenant does confirm a new address I will then snail mail or email a change of address for that must be filled out an dated by the tenant.
                    Only then will I update a new address in the account.
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                      My steps are pretty close to the same. First state law in Iowa says a tenants address is the last address given on the rental agreement, or if they notify us via certified mail. I think it is ridiculous to force my tenants to send me a certified letter to change their address. So me and my lawyer created an addendum to our lease for changing the address.

So in order for me to change the legal address they either need to sign my lease addendum or notify me by certified mail.

When the post office notifies us of a new address we will contact the tenant to see how they would like to update it. Most choose to sign our form digitally through our adobe sign service. If we don't get contact from them we will duel send out all legal notices to any additional address. None legal notices we don't duel send.

Check your states lien laws before you start accepting change of addresses written on napkins or something similar.
                      Mine have to be accepted in writing; hand delivered, 1st class mail, or email. So, technically, I can accepted a hand-delivered napkin with their new address on it. LoL

Comment

Uniform Commercial Code indicates that once you have notice of the change (knowledge from any source) you know it; therefore the forwarding address is the customer's address. My state's laws say to send notices to the "last known address", and I used to think I had the flexibility to define that in my rental agreement as the last address provided in writing by the occupant, but evidently UCC, which is the same in most, if not all states, says otherwise.

I know in Massachusetts, the storage lien law specifically defines the last known address as the last address provided by the occupant in writing, and state law supersedes UCC even in states that have adopted the UCC, but otherwise, even if the occupant leaves me a voice mail with their new address, I would send to that new address.

And of course, when in doubt, send to both.

Comment

Place "Forward and Address Service Requested" above the tenant Address. You will then have to pay under a buck to get the Postcard with old address and New Address. I will keep that with the lease and add a Post Office change of address fee to the account of $5.00. Make sure not to put it on all Notices as SOMETIMES you get one for each letter. If I know how it is and I already paid I refuse the second one.
                          Joe Krezdorn
                          DAK Self Storage
                          Leesport, PA 19533
                          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

When we get the yellow stickers from the post office showing a change of address we do update and also send a change of address form to the new address, just because.

When the tenant completes a change of address form at the post office, they are then making the post office their agent to notify others of their change. Most times moving is stressful enough without having to remember to change address with everyone you do business with.
                            --
                            Ron

http://advancedministorage.com
                            http://zolezzistorage.com

email ron at advancedministorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
                              Place "Forward and Address Service Requested" above the tenant Address. You will then have to pay under a buck to get the Postcard with old address and New Address. I will keep that with the lease and add a Post Office change of address fee to the account of $5.00. Make sure not to put it on all Notices as SOMETIMES you get one for each letter. If I know how it is and I already paid I refuse the second one.
                              I do a mass holiday mailing to all my tenants using bulk mail third class service. a Requirement for this is that I run all my names through the national change of address database. This costs me like $80 I think, but I have 500-600 names they process. I am given the new address in a report for every tenant each year this way. You may want to see if you can save some money and just submit all the names at once.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X