Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Abandoned Vehicles and Mobile Home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoned Vehicles and Mobile Home

We recently purchased this facility in Virginia. The previous owner owned it for more than 10 years, but never had the time to run it. Anyways long story short, it has 5 to 6 abandoned trailers and mobile homes with no information on the owner and its been sitting there for more than 7 to 8 years(I can see it in the county aerial images). They are almost useless at this point. Any advice on how to get rid of them, do i have to advertise and then auction them?
    Attached Files

Do a title check on each vehicle, if they have not been registered in a very long time there should be a way to get title for the purposes of destroying them depending on your state. But your first step is to find out who the owner is and try to get them to take it.

Comment

Post notices for 30 days that all unclaimed vehicles will be towed. Then, after 30 days, call a tow company and have them removed. It passes the headache on to them! I inherited the same problem at a property in Palm Springs, and this worked out beautifully.
      MamaDuke

Comment

Put them in the paper/craigslist "must sell - best offer"

Comment

Also, for your future at this location and parking of any vehicle, you may want to see about getting a contract with a local tow yard.

Here in NJ our law for abandoned vehicles say that if we post proper signage on the property stating that abandoned vehicles will be towed that when any vehicle falls in default for non-payment of rent, we can then call the tow yard and have it towed and then it becomes the tow yards problem.

This is also for a vehicle inside a storage unit.
          Sometimes the tenant is not truthful (Shocking eh?) and does not tell us that he/she is storing a car.
          They stop paying the rent.
          We go to cut the lock to inspect for inventory and find a car.
          We then call the tow yard, have it towed and that's it!
          Done and done.
          Clean the unit and rent it again.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
            Do a title check on each vehicle, if they have not been registered in a very long time there should be a way to get title for the purposes of destroying them depending on your state. But your first step is to find out who the owner is and try to get them to take it.
            Except one vehicle, none of them have tags

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
              Post notices for 30 days that all unclaimed vehicles will be towed. Then, after 30 days, call a tow company and have them removed. It passes the headache on to them! I inherited the same problem at a property in Palm Springs, and this worked out beautifully.
              Most of these vehicles are junk at this point as they have been abandoned for close to 10 years, So don't think towing companies will be in interested. These can only go for scrap metal. so can i post the notice, take pics for proof and give them away for scrap metal

Comment

Originally posted by avatarselfstorage View Post

Except one vehicle, none of them have tags
                You do a title check via the VIN number not the license plate. And if they are scrap metal they still get towed usually.

Comment

Don't some charities take non running vehicles? Nah, you probably have to have a title for that. Definitely do what has been suggested. As for the mobile homes, scrap them. You might have to get a dumpster and use a dozer and demolish and get rid of them that way.
                  I want buns of steel.
                  I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Run a VIN search!

Call your local police station, tell them who you are and ask that an officer come over and assist in running a VIN search.
                    They will be able to tell you if the said vehicles are stolen.
                    You may also want to contact an attorney so that you can protect yourself.
                    I have to wonder if maybe you should run a small ad in the newspaper.
                    Keep in mind more than likely these vehicle owners are no longer interested in their property HOWEVER you do not want to open yourself up to any litigation of disposal of these vehicles!
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X