Non-payment for customer that never moved items in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-payment for customer that never moved items in

I have a customer that completed the move in paperwork and paid for a unit, but never moved anything in. They paid for the first month, but are now going on two months "past due" with no items in the unit. They said they didn't want the unit anymore and would pay the balance, but have since gone radio silent. Should I follow the the standard lien process OR take possession of the unit back, document that there were no items inside, and send to collections?

Move them out and call it a wash.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I would take it as a verbal move notice (document in notes) and move them out and re rent the unit.
      Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Move them out.
        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

What they said. Document all from start to finish and believe it or not, take pics of the empty unit. If there is no lock then great but if it is their lock then you need to cut and take pics of that and then open to verify and take pics of unit.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Did the customer lock said unit?
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

As everyone else has said, take the move out and move on. If there was no lock on the unit this entire time it should have been moved out before ever getting to past due.

Comment

No lock. The customer was planning to use it for his business operations, but plans changed. Will move out and move on. Did document with photos and plenty of notes as always. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                  As everyone else has said, take the move out and move on. If there was no lock on the unit this entire time it should have been moved out before ever getting to past due.
                  I agree with this.
                  AmyLou

Comment

I do not agree. Move out and send to collection. I don't care if they want to store air. They had possession of a unit I could not rent. Pay up.
                    Joe Krezdorn
                    DAK Self Storage
                    Leesport, PA 19533
                    www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

In a case where they never moved in to begin with, yes just call it a wash.

We've had people move out, no notice, leave the lock on an empty unit for months, go past due and to auction, then we cut the lock to an empty unit. Those get sent to collections (and we won in court on the last one that did this to us). Was paid up in a few months (but we lost the collections fees in the process, oh well)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                        Reply to The dangers of those rental trucks in the wrong hands
                        by Storman
                        I'm sure it was bad, but I couldn't watch that video for more than 10 seconds. I need a dramamine.
                        Today, 12:16 AM
                      • Orkocean
                        Reply to new to storage
                        by Orkocean
                        My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went...
                        Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                      • MamaDuke
                        Reply to new to storage
                        by MamaDuke
                        My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!...
                        Yesterday, 08:01 PM
                      Working...
                      X