Incarcerated Tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incarcerated Tenant

Im in Louisiana, does anyone know what procedure to take if your tenant becomes incarcerated and has no other contacts on their lease?

Keep sending all of the notices to address on record-but if you know which jail, send notices to the jail with their name on them. He might get someone on the outside to pay, or the jail ombudsman-you never know.
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Yep, what KrisinNC said! The process doesn't stop just because they are in jail. (And if it did, the less desirable customers would have friends and family calling to tell us they are incarcerated just so they don't have to pay for a while!!!)
      MamaDuke

Comment

Yes, continue the lien process as planned and laid out in the lease and state statutes. If you know where he is then send notices to that jail or prison. Email as well as snail mail. Document document document......
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Nothing changes just because you know a tenant is in jail.

Going forward, you may want to update your move-in procedures and add obtaining the 2nd contact in case of an emergency such as this.
          This is why we get the 2nd contact, in case the tenant stops communicating to you.
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

We had a fun one just the other day. We havn't heard from a tenant in a awhile, going thru the lien process for next months auction and her alternate contacts us the other day. Says she's been in and out of the hospital but he'll try to get ahold of her for us. Then 2 days ago our caller ID SHOWS her name, we answer and she tells us she's currently in jail and wont be out until next month after our auction. We even checked her facebook profile and she's been posting regularly. Someone want to tell me what jail lets you keep your cell phone??? The stories customers try telling to get out of fee's, never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

This has happened to me numerous times. I just proceed as if they were a regular non-paying tenant. Not my problem. If they choose not to list another contact person, also not my problem. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Comment

Oh yes, the stories are so many that the "players" can't keep their lines straight. She's in the hospital. She's in jail. She is being held political prisoner in Ca. She's also posting vacation pics of her having shots with friends in Jamaica.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                  Oh yes, the stories are so many that the "players" can't keep their lines straight. She's in the hospital. She's in jail. She is being held political prisoner in Ca. She's also posting vacation pics of her having shots with friends in Jamaica.
                  I have one of these right now. Just last week she was recovering from surgery. The month before that she was in jail. Now she lives in Oregon and apparently they have no technology there so she has no ability to pay online or over the phone......
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                    We had a fun one just the other day. We havn't heard from a tenant in a awhile, going thru the lien process for next months auction and her alternate contacts us the other day. Says she's been in and out of the hospital but he'll try to get ahold of her for us. Then 2 days ago our caller ID SHOWS her name, we answer and she tells us she's currently in jail and wont be out until next month after our auction. We even checked her facebook profile and she's been posting regularly. Someone want to tell me what jail lets you keep your cell phone??? The stories customers try telling to get out of fee's, never ceases to amaze me.
                    Oh, I would have called her out on that one. "Huh, you're in jail? With your cell phone? I didn't know they allowed that"? LOL
                    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post

Oh, I would have called her out on that one. "Huh, you're in jail? With your cell phone? I didn't know they allowed that"? LOL
                      I MAY HAVE said..."oh you must be a very important prisoner, eh? They let you keep your cell phone in your jail cell?"
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Would have likely had an immediate hang up as she realizes she is caught in her lie. Then when you see or hear from her next she will have that oh so common comeback from her, "So what".

Comment

Unfortunately only one of our phones has a caller ID screen. My wife answered the line at her station and after she was done talking to the customer she told me what the customer was telling her and I pointed out the name I saw populate on the caller ID when it rang so it was realized after the fact.

Comment

So they didn't even use enough sense to block the caller I.D. This tenant is a brainiac. Her mother and father must be so proud.......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                              Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                              by Storman
                              feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                              Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                            • Merman
                              by Merman
                              I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                              Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                            • IceBox
                              by IceBox
                              Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                              Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                            Working...
                            X