CT Lien Law - "... auction or other disposition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Lien Law - "... auction or other disposition"

I am seeking information as to what "other disposition" may be for getting rid of units in the state of CT. Our lien law reads as follows:

Sec. 42-163. Sale or disposition of property; where held. Any sale or other disposition of the personal property of the occupant shall conform to the terms of the notice as provided in section 42-162 and shall be held at the self-service storage facility or at the nearest suitable place convenient to where such personal property is stored or held.

Does this mean we do not have to hold an auction? Are we permitted to sell individual items online or in "tag" sale?

I have found that we always lose more money than we could hope to make on these auctions. I'd rather get rid of the junk, sell what I can and move on. Of course we'd still have to advertise as per our lien laws but I don't want to waste the time and hold up the units. I have tried to find information but have not had any luck to date.

Thank you.

You need to contact https://www.nessa.org/. They should be able to guide you with what the legal guidelines are.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Sounds like the auction needs to be held but if not sold at auction then can be disposed of, "other disposition", as you see fit after that. It may also be able to be disposed of if your statutes say that if an experienced facility employee decides that the unit contents are worth less than say $300. Check for that statute as well. To be extra careful, follow what MamaDuke said.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by SSS583 View Post
        I am seeking information as to what "other disposition" may be for getting rid of units in the state of CT. Our lien law reads as follows:

Sec. 42-163. Sale or disposition of property; where held. Any sale or other disposition of the personal property of the occupant shall conform to the terms of the notice as provided in section 42-162 and shall be held at the self-service storage facility or at the nearest suitable place convenient to where such personal property is stored or held.

Does this mean we do not have to hold an auction? Are we permitted to sell individual items online or in "tag" sale?

I have found that we always lose more money than we could hope to make on these auctions. I'd rather get rid of the junk, sell what I can and move on. Of course we'd still have to advertise as per our lien laws but I don't want to waste the time and hold up the units. I have tried to find information but have not had any luck to date.

Thank you.
        I have heard of companies that go and take storage units and separate them into lots to be sold off in chunks. It always seemed far more work than it was worth so it is not something we have ever really considered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• wc1974
          Reply to Happening all over the USA
          by wc1974
          They do- if you know this person I would give them a heads up to change that right away. If they get reported to the authorites they would be in big trouble. All Fair Housing laws are applied by both Federal and State law.

Federal protected classes include:
          • Race.
          • Color.
          • Religion or
          Today, 05:49 PM
        • pacnwstorage
          by pacnwstorage
          If the facilities ever have to follow rental laws, like for housing, that will be the day I start looking for another career.

This warning was written and posted by a home owner that rents out a room. I have no idea if they have to follow the same laws you speak of.
          Today, 05:41 PM
        • wc1974
          by wc1974
          These requirements violate almost every single Fair Housing law there is. You CAN NOT advertise in a public forum, or ask them in a private setting what is their religion,age, sex, sexual orientation, you cannot deny them a pet if it is a service animal- if they have a doctors note you have to take...
          Today, 05:33 PM
        Working...
        X