Insurance Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Sales

We are required to tell our customers they have to have insurance, either self insured ( they have to provide proof) or we sign them up at time of rental. We offer the option of signing up for insurance through a 3rd party company, well known to the storage industry. As far as I know- we do not receive any compensation or commission for these sales, but I am wondering about the legality of it. None of our managers are licensed insurance agents, and according to a Google search under licensing requirements for selling insurance it says: "under Washington law, anyone who knowingly sells, solicits, or negotiates insurance without the proper state license is guilty of a Class B felony, which can carry a prison sentence of up to 10 years, as well as a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for each violation."
    SO I guess my question is, how do we, as employees of a property management company who manages storage facilities skirt around that requirement? Im asking because we now have representatives from that insurance company coming out to out stores to train us on how to present their insurance to the customers. Im not so sure I am comfortable with that. Am I overlooking something obvious here? Anyone have any advice on this? Or is this perfectly legal and I am over reacting?
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

We don't require any insurance here, but I am interested in an answer as well.

Comment

When I have set up insurance at different properties, part of the setup is applying to the state, and then basic training from the insurance carrier. We are not full agents, but have a limited license to set the customers up with their policies.

That training that you have coming is exactly what the insurance companies are required to do for those that offer their products.
      Last edited by MamaDuke; 13 November 2019, 04:47 PM.
      MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
        We are required to tell our customers they have to have insurance, either self insured ( they have to provide proof) or we sign them up at time of rental. We offer the option of signing up for insurance through a 3rd party company, well known to the storage industry. As far as I know- we do not receive any compensation or commission for these sales, but I am wondering about the legality of it. None of our managers are licensed insurance agents, and according to a Google search under licensing requirements for selling insurance it says: "under Washington law, anyone who knowingly sells, solicits, or negotiates insurance without the proper state license is guilty of a Class B felony, which can carry a prison sentence of up to 10 years, as well as a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for each violation."
        SO I guess my question is, how do we, as employees of a property management company who manages storage facilities skirt around that requirement? Im asking because we now have representatives from that insurance company coming out to out stores to train us on how to present their insurance to the customers. Im not so sure I am comfortable with that. Am I overlooking something obvious here? Anyone have any advice on this? Or is this perfectly legal and I am over reacting?
        We're not licensed but there is a loophole that lets us 'offer' (I'm not sure of the exact term, but we're definitely not licensed salespeople) insurance. It's probably why we're having training again on it.

There was a big hullabaloo a few years ago, when I was manager in San Diego and it had to get clarified because insurance companies were complaining/suing about it.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Here is what I found on line for Washington State: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=48.170

Your insurance provider will make sure that your owner is compliant. They are not allowed to offer the product to you if you are not.

I had asked for some marketing material to go ahead and distribute at one of my locations in Florida, however I was denied that until my license had been issued (it had been applied for and paid for). I am happy to say I am licensed in Florida now.
          Last edited by MusicCity Gal; 13 November 2019, 05:50 PM.
          Stephanie Tharpe
          President
          A+ Management Group, LP
          Nashville, TN
          www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
            When I have set up insurance at different properties, part of the setup is applying to the state, and then basic training from the insurance carrier. We are not full agents, but have a limited license to set the customers up with their policies.

That training that you have coming is exactly what the insurance companies are required to do for those that offer their products.
            This is correct. Your employer is required to apply for licensure and employees are trained through the insurance company. Some do in-person training and others do a webinar.

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
              Here is what I found on line for Washington State: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=48.170

You insurance provider will make sure that your owner is compliant. They are not allowed to offer the product to you if you are not.

I had asked for some marketing material to go ahead and distribute at one of my locations in Florida, however I was denied that until my license had been issued (it had been applied for and paid for). I am happy to say I am licensed in Florida now.
              An interesting read.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post

You insurance provider will make sure that your owner is compliant. They are not allowed to offer the product to you if you are not.

Thank You Music City Gal, that helps a lot! I need to print out those insurance RCW's and add them to out Binder of other Storage RCW information for future reference. This is why I love this forum- I feel like I should have known the answer to that after 8 years of experience but, hey, now I do! So Thanks again!
                You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

Thank You Music City Gal, that helps a lot! I need to print out those insurance RCW's and add them to out Binder of other Storage RCW information for future reference. This is why I love this forum- I feel like I should have known the answer to that after 8 years of experience but, hey, now I do! So Thanks again!
                  wc1974 My pleasure!!
                  Stephanie Tharpe
                  President
                  A+ Management Group, LP
                  Nashville, TN
                  www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                  www.tnssa.net

Comment

I am in NJ we offer "protection" from an outside vendor and we do "require" that all of our tenants have some form of PROTECTION, either their own homeowners/apartment insurance or our outside vendor's protection policy.
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Handy article that covers the basics: https://www.insideselfstorage.com/in...otection-plans

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                        I am in NJ we offer "protection" from an outside vendor and we do "require" that all of our tenants have some form of PROTECTION, either their own homeowners/apartment insurance or our outside vendor's protection policy.
                        We are looking into protection plans as well. It's pretty cut and dry, so we don't have to try to explain since we aren't insurance agents. Seems like it is a pretty lucrative option.

Comment

When we started offering SafeStor Insurance we were not required to do any additional licensing with the state of Iowa.

From my understanding is I am just offering their product, and if you have an insurance related question about the plans we provide a flyer with an 800 number for the company.

Comment

Been doing this for 8 years, used 4 different insurance/protection plans in that time. I've always been trained and trained others if someone wants to dig in to the policy details, direct them to the actual company as we are not licensed insurance agents. Of all the companies i've dealt with Storsmart is the only one who's ever actually been "involved" and seemed to care. They send a person out to the site no matter where you are to actually set you up, go over training, proper things you can/can't say and so on. I've had the same guy come out to a site in Tx then come out to our sites with the new company in Ca so it's not some random person they send out without knowledge either.

Comment

Does anyone know of an insurance company that covers water damage or rodent issues? I have seen several protection programs, but so far haven't found an insurance program.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• wc1974
                                Reply to US Reaches 200,000 COVID-19 Deaths
                                by wc1974
                                Didnt the CDC update their numbers to reflect that only 10K actually died from COVID alone, 6% of the total number of deaths. The other 94% were Covid related, meaning they died with Covid but not from Covid. Comparatively,according to the WHO: "Key facts. A total of 1.5 million people died from...
                                Today, 01:17 PM
                              • MamaDuke
                                Reply to How to get out of an online rental
                                by MamaDuke
                                You should be able to log in to your processor now and issue a credit if you can't void it since it was yesterday.

Otherwise, I like they way lady5563 suggested handling it. Unfortunately, those aren't available and I am unable meet your needs at this time. A refund has been processed....
                                Today, 01:15 PM
                              • wc1974
                                Reply to How to get out of an online rental
                                by wc1974
                                Are your units overlocked until rented, or do they have a way to access them via kiosk or other way? We keep our vacant units locked, so even if they rent online they still cant access building without a code, and if they successfully follow someone in, the unit is locked so they cant just move in without...
                                Today, 01:10 PM
                              Working...
                              X