Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Tiny House in Lien Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny House in Lien Sale

So I have a 1st for me in current online sale. I have a tenant that was building a tiny house himself that has defaulted on his unit. It is now for sale in our online auction process. Does anyone know if there is any special titling for that? I would assume it would just be registered as a home made trailer, so there would be no issues passing title. But I figured this may be a unique enough circumstance that maybe I should look into more. I would say the home is only 30% complete at this time, so it is no where close to a finished product. I have no idea if it is event road worthy.

I don't think it would be appropriate to link to the active online sale but if someone wants a link they can send me a private message or email me at [email protected]

I would not think it is titled till it is complete, if at all. The trailer it is on may have a VIN but you said homemade so I doubt that as well. Sell it and let the buyer deal with it. Or not.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Always something new under the sun.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

https://gypsyturtlejournal.com/2016/...my-tiny-house/
        https://www.reddit.com/r/TinyHouses/...ale_and_title/

I didn't find much and nothing that applied to a lien sale of one of those things in a storage unit. Like Pac was saying, if there's no VIN, I think you're good to sell it just like any other unit. You can call it a homemade thingamabob and the buyer can do the initial registration as a homemade trailer if they want.
        If the trailer does have a VIN, I'm assuming you'll need to jump through the normal hoops of auctioning a car, or just have it towed as an abandoned vehicle and let the tow guys put a lien on the thing since they're used to that process.
        A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Have you checked with your local tax collector's office? They may be able to help, or point you in the right direction if they can't.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

This is a home made trailer for sure I know there is no VIN number on it.. I actually got to look at it before it had any structure on it. The trailer was specifically built for the home he was putting on it.

I imagine the buyer may end up demolishing what the person has built and using the trailer for their own needs. I would expect that trailer cost 4-6k to be built.

Comment

Im a little shocked here the tiny house sold for just $136.00. Definitely a specialty item.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                by KrisinNC
                Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                Yesterday, 09:44 PM
              • evansr
                Reply to Promotional ideas
                by evansr
                Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                Yesterday, 09:13 PM
              • Storman
                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                by Storman
                This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                Yesterday, 07:55 PM
              Working...
              X