Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms

Quick question.
    I have a problem tenant who "claims" he had DOZENS upon DOZENS of firearms stolen out of his unit over the weekend. I know this to be untrue, long story attached to it, however, I'm curious on what the laws are regarding storing of firearms in storage units. I don't have anything in my contract that specifically points to firearms, but is more geared to ammo, which we do not allow. And after trying to do some digging, I am finding that it is illegal and then I am finding that it is illegal only in some states. I am in Missouri. Can anyone point me in the right direction or know the answer?

Hopefully someone in your state can help or you could ask your state's self storage association. Here in Texas it is not illegal...the only legality that becomes attached to firearms is when an auction takes place.Good luck with your issue (would love to hear the, probably wacky, story that goes along with this

Comment

Illegal???? You don't live in the United States of America?
      Here in PA I allow weapons and ammo. Neither are illegal.

If the weapons were stolen, I hope the tenant has the serial number for every weapon stolen. If not he is very irresponsible.
      I have the numbers for all of our hand and long guns just in case someone were to break in and get to them before me.
      We have two German Sheppard s. They know how to bite and I know how to shoot.
      Joe Krezdorn
      DAK Self Storage
      Leesport, PA 19533
      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by rssbillings View Post
        Quick question.
        I have a problem tenant who "claims" he had DOZENS upon DOZENS of firearms stolen out of his unit over the weekend. I know this to be untrue, long story attached to it, however, I'm curious on what the laws are regarding storing of firearms in storage units. I don't have anything in my contract that specifically points to firearms, but is more geared to ammo, which we do not allow. And after trying to do some digging, I am finding that it is illegal and then I am finding that it is illegal only in some states. I am in Missouri. Can anyone point me in the right direction or know the answer?
        I am also in Missouri. Ammo is not allowed. Storage of firearms is strongly discouraged (AKA forbidden in our rental agreement) of but they aren't illegal to store as far as I know. That isn't to say that certain types of firearms might be illegal to own, but that's a separate issue I'm afraid
        Last edited by JamesStorage; 3rd December 2019, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I agree with DAK he needs to file a police report.

Comment

I have never heard of it being illegal to store firearms or ammo. I allow both here and of course recommend they use a gun safe. If a state says storing ammo is illegal how would they then allow ammo storage at home. If the guns and ammo are in a safe in storage or at home, that is the same. Numerous guns stolen, my ass! Hell, I used to live north of the river in K.C., Mo. and my youngest brother still lives there and he owns guns. It is also an open carry state, like here in Oregon. Unless the law changed since I was there.

Last edited by pacnwstorage; 3rd December 2019, 01:49 PM.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
              Illegal???? You don't live in the United States of America?
              Here in PA I allow weapons and ammo. Neither are illegal.

If the weapons were stolen, I hope the tenant has the serial number for every weapon stolen. If not he is very irresponsible.
              I have the numbers for all of our hand and long guns just in case someone were to break in and get to them before me.
              We have two German Sheppard s. They know how to bite and I know how to shoot.
              He had 0 weapons in his unit. And they weren't stolen. He made it up. Like I said, long story however it made me curious on what was and wasn't illegal to store in storage units. My property, per contract, does not allow any type of ammo stored but doesn't really say anything about firearms outright, just says that hazardous materials, anything flammable, explosive or corrosive and then things considered dangerous so that's where I was told firearms could be under that category.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesStorage View Post

I am also in Missouri. Ammo is not allowed. Storage of firearms is strongly discouraged (AKA forbidden in our rental agreement) of but they aren't illegal to store as far as I know. That isn't to say that certain types of firearms might be illegal to own, but that's a separate issue I'm afraid
                Thank you for responding! How is your rental agreement worded when it comes to firearms?

Comment

99% of what is stored in a unit is flammable. I get it. I have heard about those "evil black guns" that shoot themselves. If you have a vehicle in any of your units do they all have to have the fuel in them drained completely dry? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by rssbillings View Post

Thank you for responding! How is your rental agreement worded when it comes to firearms?
                    It just straight up says"No Guns or Alcohol may be stored in the leased space." As far as ammunition goes, we have it covered under the no explosives clause.

Comment

I'm not aware of any legality regarding storing firearms. I encourage all customers to not store firearms in the unit. For me it's a personal recommendation. If the need ever arises to use one, they don't do you any good locked up in a storage unit. We don't allow ammo, propane tanks, oxy acetylene tanks, etc. that could potentially go kaboom.

The same issue pops up at almost any storage place. If you don't have an FFL, you can't sell the firearms in an auction. I can't imagine many if any places will maintain a license on the off chance that a unit going to auction may have guns in them. We can't keep the extra proceeds anyhow. If an auction buyer finds one, they have two choices, quietly put them in their car and enjoy the nice find, or tell me and have the local police stop by and take them all away.
                      A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

We don't 'police' what is in the unit, that being said, I am sure there are several people who store guns, but when they move in I state-No flammable, hazardous, chemical etc. so if there's an issue I point to their signature and remind them of when I rented to them. If someone asks, I'll say, 'guns yes-make sure you've taken photos/serial numbers, but no ammo, sorry.'
                        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Please tell me how ammo goes kaboom without being shot in a gun? I am really curious.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            Please tell me how ammo goes kaboom without being shot in a gun? I am really curious.
                            I think it's in case of fire-that's what I was told by another manager back in CA.
                            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                              Overheating mainly. It can get to be 100+ degrees around here and that can get dangerous. excess heat makes the oxygen In the casings expand, which can create sparks that ignite the powder and boom, you have yourself a bullet hole. Generally it's caused by fire not a hot day, but it can still happen

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                                by KrisinNC
                                Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                                Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                              • evansr
                                Reply to Promotional ideas
                                by evansr
                                Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                                Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                              • Storman
                                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                                by Storman
                                This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                                Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                              Working...
                              X