Firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesStorage View Post

Overheating mainly. It can get to be 100+ degrees around here and that can get dangerous. excess heat makes the oxygen In the casings expand, which can create sparks that ignite the powder and boom, you have yourself a bullet hole. Generally it's caused by fire not a hot day, but it can still happen
    Reminds me of when I was still in the Navy. I was standing watch in 100+ degree heat over 8-10 pallets of soda on the same pier where we had submarines with armed guards. Suddenly there was a 'POW!' and then more, as overheated soda cans on the top began to explode. After the initial surprise the armed guards laughed. I ended up sunburned, annoyed, sticky and tired as hell.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

If you say so but I completely disagree. Ammo can "cook off" at 450 degrees but because there is no force from the primer being hit the projectile will travel maybe 6", so no bullet hole.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Too late for me to edit my last post. The projectile will have no velocity either. The ammo is not going to catch fire but as I said, the cook off point is approximately 450 degrees. You can throw ammo and never hit the primer with enough force to create the explosion to send the bullet on it's way. So, in short and IMO, there is absolutely no way that storing ammo could be considered dangerous. You still have to look out for the evil black gun that shoots itself though........

Comment

I am in Missouri and I am not aware of any statute that limits what can be stored in a self storage unit. Like most my contact prohibits explosives. But it's not a legal issue.

Comment

Originally posted by rssbillings View Post

He had 0 weapons in his unit. And they weren't stolen. He made it up. Like I said, long story however it made me curious on what was and wasn't illegal to store in storage units. My property, per contract, does not allow any type of ammo stored but doesn't really say anything about firearms outright, just says that hazardous materials, anything flammable, explosive or corrosive and then things considered dangerous so that's where I was told firearms could be under that category.
            That seems good for you. I would insist that he call the police and file a report if he keeps giving you a hard time. Good luck.
            We had a tenant that said someone accessed his unit and stole some items. He had insurance. I called the police and they and insurance adjuster agreed that the tenant had a "Lack of Candor" (new catch phrase) Yes he was lying. I asked why they would not get him for Insurance fraud? He said that a jury would clearly think he was crazy and not convict him. BS if you ask me.
            Joe Krezdorn
            DAK Self Storage
            Leesport, PA 19533
            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              Too late for me to edit my last post. The projectile will have no velocity either. The ammo is not going to catch fire but as I said, the cook off point is approximately 450 degrees. You can throw ammo and never hit the primer with enough force to create the explosion to send the bullet on it's way. So, in short and IMO, there is absolutely no way that storing ammo could be considered dangerous. You still have to look out for the evil black gun that shoots itself though........
              This happened at a facility earlier this year in Fresno, CA. And while i'm sure your explanation is correct, how many people realize that? The fire dept that handled that fire let it continue to burn instead of pushing in to fight it. Per the reporting they heard the ammo going off and did not want to get near it

Comment

I like to deal with facts and not "Tall Tales". Lots of Tall Tales out there for the unknowing person(s) who believe what they want to hear or are scared in to thinking.

Comment

I have a lot of military members who store their weapons on site, they are not allowed to keep them on base- or rather, they can store them on base- but have to go through a series of checkpoints to check it out and check it in, making it a huge hassle if they want to do target practice, so it's easier for them to store off site. I have never said no to storing weapons, but I remind them to store it in an protective case, and if they have ammo it needs to be in a safe, this way they would be contained in the event of fire. We have open tops( heavy duty metal chicken wire type barriers) on our storage units so if we did have a fire the sprinkler system would drown all the units down right away. I would not be worried about it getting hot enough to cook off any ammo. ( of course that is trusting the sprinklers work as designed.)
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I have a tenant from New York that actually did a search and came across one post on SST about firearms. He said that my conservative view on firearms got him to rent here. He has a weapon no longer allowed in NY. He has been here for several years now and has only accessed unit a few times.
                    Hmmm his black scary gun has not shot anyone while being stored.
                    Joe Krezdorn
                    DAK Self Storage
                    Leesport, PA 19533
                    www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
                      I have a tenant from New York that actually did a search and came across one post on SST about firearms. He said that my conservative view on firearms got him to rent here. He has a weapon no longer allowed in NY. He has been here for several years now and has only accessed unit a few times.
                      Hmmm his black scary gun has not shot anyone while being stored.
                      And it never will. For anyone that cares, here is the way to help with firearms and guns used in so many illegal ways, "ACTUALLY ENFORCE THE LAWS THAT ARE ON THE BOOKS RIGHT NOW"! They are all there and do not need to be added to. I don't see anyone getting all uptight about the fact that there are 263 million vehicles in the US of A and kill way way way more people every year than the 393 million guns that are in the US of A. The other overwhelming fact is that besides the act of shooting a firearm by a law enforcement officer when on duty, over 99% of the time a firearm is used by a private citizen is because they are either protecting themselves or saving the life of another innocent human being. Both are operated by humans. The reason for turning the head away from that overwhelming statistic is this, "IT IS INCONVENIENT TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE TO GRASP THAT FACT FACT FACT"! I have also said this before, if you want to be safe in a critical situation where you are threatened by a person with a firearm, that safest place is behind me and any other law abiding citizen that is carrying. But lots of people will falsely rationalize why these shared stats are wrong. They also put their heads in the sand when they don't hear what they want to hear. Off my soapbox now. Have a safe day.

Comment

I am in NJ.
                        Our lease states NO GUNS

7. Use of Storage Space and Prohibited Storage: The Storage Space shall be used and occupied only for the storing of Personal Property owned by Occupant. Occupant shall keep the Storage Space in a clean and sanitary condition and free of rubbish, liquid waste or refuse, no guns or alcohol may be stored in the Storage Space.
                        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to get a gun debate started. I just needed some quick answers. Basically we had a situation on site where one of our tenants is doing "contract voiding things". I've been watching for awhile now and biding my time. Long story short, over the holiday I was out on family emergency and it had been found out that he was storing things in a storage unit he was not renting, when we rented the unit to a new tenant. We hauled the items off and it has become an ordeal with him "claiming" we stole 77 firearms from him, him telling me I was the primary suspect in an FBI investigation now (LOL) when in fact, per two separate witnesses there were no weapons inside at all, just a few pieces of furniture. It got me thinking if it was or wasn't legal to store firearms in self storage, or if it was just the issue of the property allowing it or not. After trying to do some Googling, the first result was from Storagefront.com saying it was "illegal to store guns in self storage units period". But then I was getting mixed results after that, so I figured I would come to the people that knew.

Comment

Wow
                            What an utter complete lying jerk!!!!!
                            I am so sorry that you are having to go through this horrible ordeal!
                            Was this person authorized to even be on your property?
                            If not I would seriously consider pressing charges against him for trespassing and THEN after you are found NOT GUILTY of stealing his so-called guns, I would turn right around and charge him for defamation of character and ANYTHING else that I could do legally!
                            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

State laws and your personal business rules/regulations/policies don't have to match. If you want no guns or ammo, fine, it is your call. If I needed storage and wanted to store guns and ammo or either one by themselves, I would not rent at any place that does not allow that. I have rights and served to protect those rights. I know that each business has their rules and I respect that as well. I am far from PC and too many times these rules are to cave in to PC paranoia. It is what it is. Cars kill more people. Don't store them either.

My biggest reason I responded with stats was the previous claims of ammo in a fire and exploding like an actual bullet out of a gun and shooting the lead ammo out when it will just not do that. Too many times decisions about not storing guns and ammo is emotional and with false info. I can't stand by and let that happen. Facility choices to not store guns and ammo are their choices but at least make an informed decision.
                              Last edited by pacnwstorage; 6th December 2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                                Wow
                                What an utter complete lying jerk!!!!!
                                I am so sorry that you are having to go through this horrible ordeal!
                                Was this person authorized to even be on your property?
                                If not I would seriously consider pressing charges against him for trespassing and THEN after you are found NOT GUILTY of stealing his so-called guns, I would turn right around and charge him for defamation of character and ANYTHING else that I could do legally!
                                Oh yeah, he's authorized. We have a swanky apartment above my office that was built for the original owners of the property but I dont live on site so, they rent it out and his girlfriend lives upstairs. He has 3 other units on property and is running a business out of those units where he purchases items at auction, then re-sells them on whatever sites I have no idea, then has people meet him here on property to pick them up. This has been going on for a bit, and I've told him once to stop it. He never locks his units and he's been warned about that too. We're in the process of dealing with it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                  Reply to Insurance Sales
                                  by Storman
                                  I can assure you that your employer is making quite a bit of money off of these sales. In my very limited experience with people that come to me AFTER they've been burglarized or sustained damage at other facilities, is that these "policies" don't pay anything when a claim is made. My anecdotal...
                                  Today, 02:49 AM
                                • ResMgrs
                                  Reply to Insurance Sales
                                  by ResMgrs
                                  Most offer coverage for "falling water" but not "rising water." Some companies will offer flood (rising water) coverage, for an extra charge....
                                  Today, 01:20 AM
                                • ResMgrs
                                  Reply to Insurance Sales
                                  by ResMgrs
                                  We currently offer a Tenant Insurance plan, through a 3rd party provider. We go through annual training through the provider, and we answer zero questions about the coverage. It's all on the up and up. Our company earns a commission on every policy sold, and at the property lever we earn a portion of...
                                  Today, 01:18 AM
                                Working...
                                X