Legal Worries in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Worries in 2020

What legal worries do you have this year? What steps are you taking to avoid any problems?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I would say the new labor law is causing a bit of unease within our company as we now have to implement a timeclock which is both new and frustrating to the seasoned managers.

Comment

Thanks for the response Meauxhala. The ISS team was just discussing this. Can you elaborate on what you're doing and why?
      Amy Campbell
      Editor
      Inside Self-Storage
      [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by Meauxhala View Post
        I would say the new labor law is causing a bit of unease within our company as we now have to implement a timeclock which is both new and frustrating to the seasoned managers.
        Are you saying that salaried managers have to punch a clock now? Are they still paid a salary or hourly? Is this federal or state or both?
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We have a few facilities in Illinois and they just passed a law requiring us to charge Sales Tax for stored vehicles. We're still waiting to see if they're going to make it active going forward, or if we're going to have to charge it to all existing rentals as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesStorage View Post
            We have a few facilities in Illinois and they just passed a law requiring us to charge Sales Tax for stored vehicles. We're still waiting to see if they're going to make it active going forward, or if we're going to have to charge it to all existing rentals as well.
            You would think that if the ALL KNOWING politicians pass a law like that they would have made the law address exactly what your question was. Dolts!
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Well as I have preached for several years, Managers should be getting overtime pay, salary or not. I remember one time in one of my sessions an owner said, "I pay my manager $60,000 a year so she doesn't deserve overtime". OMG. Luckily, many in the audience set him straight very quick.

We have paid hourly for several years now because of the exempt salary changes that were supposed to come a few years back but didn't. I liked the fact that my employees were accountable and they were paid accordingly so we just stuck with it.
              Stephanie Tharpe
              President
              A+ Management Group, LP
              Nashville, TN
              www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
              www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                Thanks for the response Meauxhala. The ISS team was just discussing this. Can you elaborate on what you're doing and why?
                Well we have a timeclock in place and are requiring everyone to clock in and out.

This raises issues with part time / relief managers as well as maintenance because they don't always have access to the office.

Additionally, lunch breaks. Managers don't always take lunch but now as an hourly employee they are required by law.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

Are you saying that salaried managers have to punch a clock now? Are they still paid a salary or hourly? Is this federal or state or both?
                  Law by the Department of Labor

They are no longer salary but now hourly.

Comment

We just bought a facility and the one manager that has been working there for 20 years had to punch a time clock. I took it out , I now trust her to work the hours she is suppose to We have checked her out she is always 15 minutes early and works a few minutes over if needed. A time clock for one person, CRAZY
                    Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                      Reply to Customer Objections
                      by KrisinNC
                      They're not quite ready but wanted to stop by and see what we have. Or they're waiting for help but wanted to see sizes. If they mention price I tell them that we are very competitive with facilities around the area because we set our prices to be close to them and vice versa....
                      Today, 07:34 PM
                    • KrisinNC
                      An idea that you may use, and an end to my cremains saga.
                      by KrisinNC
                      Last July? August? I can't even remember anymore, we had an auction and one of the winners found a carton of ashes. So, I've contacted the owner of said remains over and over and over, for the past few months. I finally got her sister involved because I was getting, "I'll pick it up on Sunday,"...
                      Today, 07:30 PM
                    • AjmCorona
                      Reply to Customer Objections
                      by AjmCorona
                      Either the price isn't right or they need to wait for someone to help them move....
                      Today, 07:29 PM
                    Working...
                    X