Accidents Happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidents Happen

Has anyone had an accident (regardless of fault) that led to someone being injured at your facility?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Yes, sadly. At the beginning of August, I had a brand new customer, late 70's early 80's, here to take their first load off the truck. The first item was a big electric piano. The husband was standing on the lift-gate of the truck holding it as the wife lowered him down. When it was still a good 3 1/2 feet above the ground he lost his balance and fell off the back. He landed on his head on the concrete. There was blood everywhere. After we had paramedics and a great big fire truck blocking our exit driveway to get him loaded up, we found out he actually also broke 5 ribs and one of those punctured a lung and a kidney. He spent nearly 2 weeks in the hospital.

Before leaving the property, 2 of the firefighters stopped to work with my maintenance man to get the piano up to the unit for the wife. That was so above and beyond for them. Great bunch of guys helped to lighten the burden for her just a little bit.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Only thing I have ever had was a tenant getting their finger caught in the door (that hurts).

Comment

I've had to bandage various people who were bleeding on my property. Nothing super serious. (crosses fingers)
        I once dumped a full bucket of dirty water into the low sink and pulled by shoulder, to the point I couldn't raise my arm. Good times.
        Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
          I once dumped a full bucket of dirty water into the low sink and pulled by shoulder, to the point I couldn't raise my arm. Good times.
          That reminds me that years ago I broke my toe on the property. Tom's canvas shoes were no match for the electrical panel door that fell on it like a guillotine!!!
          MamaDuke

Comment

Just once. Three years ago a tenant came in to load his 10x10 unit with a U-Haul and a car trailer on the back. I recommended that they drop the trailer along the back fence and go to unit to unload and then go put the trailer back on. Two young guys said, "No we can handle it". I was watching on the security camera and they had a love seat coming off the back and the guy on the ground was holding his end and stepping inside the front frame of the trailer. The guy above pushed him and he lost his footing and fell backwards and caught his shin on the trailer frame and snapped the bone through the skin. I saw it and called 911 and got them here and I went out immediately to tell them and tend to the guy before the ambulance got here. That guy was in sooooo much pain. I had never seen a bone stick through the skin like that.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              Just once. Three years ago a tenant came in to load his 10x10 unit with a U-Haul and a car trailer on the back. I recommended that they drop the trailer along the back fence and go to unit to unload and then go put the trailer back on. Two young guys said, "No we can handle it". I was watching on the security camera and they had a love seat coming off the back and the guy on the ground was holding his end and stepping inside the front frame of the trailer. The guy above pushed him and he lost his footing and fell backwards and caught his shin on the trailer frame and snapped the bone through the skin. I saw it and called 911 and got them here and I went out immediately to tell them and tend to the guy before the ambulance got here. That guy was in sooooo much pain. I had never seen a bone stick through the skin like that.
              Ewwww. Poor guy.

WA State

Comment

I never said it but I did try to warn them and drop that trailer but youngsters think they know more than an old man. I felt for him but him and his buddy brought it all on themselves.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

In 25 years we have had a couple. We had an employee of a company that stored, get pinched between a trailer and there truck. He broke his leg and had to be ambulanced out. We had a lady in heels fall off a u-haul truck ramp. Then wanted us to pay her for having an unsafe facility. We had employee of a tree maintenance company fall from one of our trees into the street. He had to be ambulanced. We did have an incident that wasn't an accident for the person involved, but for the family and company... We had one of our tenants come in early and went into his unit and brought the door down about half way, which he always did when he was doing paperwork, and he shot himself. We never heard it. And I had walked by the unit a few times to tell hello as I walked by. Wasn't until one of his employees tries to get in the gate did we figure something was wrong.
                  --
                  Ron

http://n6ach.com
                  http://laws.n6ach.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

every year I watch about half dozen people slip on the ice and only imagine the number I dont see.

Comment

Originally posted by ams View Post
                      In 25 years we have had a couple. We had an employee of a company that stored, get pinched between a trailer and there truck. He broke his leg and had to be ambulanced out. We had a lady in heels fall off a u-haul truck ramp. Then wanted us to pay her for having an unsafe facility. We had employee of a tree maintenance company fall from one of our trees into the street. He had to be ambulanced. We did have an incident that wasn't an accident for the person involved, but for the family and company... We had one of our tenants come in early and went into his unit and brought the door down about half way, which he always did when he was doing paperwork, and he shot himself. We never heard it. And I had walked by the unit a few times to tell hello as I walked by. Wasn't until one of his employees tries to get in the gate did we figure something was wrong.
                      Oh god, how sad.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• RandyL
                        Reply to COVID or Flu?
                        by RandyL
                        I am not entirely sure what all those statements have to do with what I posted about masks. I absolutely agree that both political parties are using this for gain. As they say never let a good crisis go to waste....
                        Yesterday, 11:08 PM
                      • Grizz
                        Reply to 6 month status update.
                        by Grizz
                        Thats good to know...
                        Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                      • Grizz
                        Reply to COVID or Flu?
                        by Grizz
                        If masks work why are they releasing prisoners from prison?

If this is so deadly why are the homeless not dying, heck the streets should be free of the homeless by now right?

Why is it safe to riot without a mask but not to go to church with one?

Why are the states...
                        Yesterday, 05:39 PM
                      Working...
                      X