SC UCC Filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC UCC Filing

I'm new to operating in SC; reading the lien laws and preparing for our first auction. The SSA recommended that we do a lien search when the tenant is 20 days past due.
    When I went to the SC UCC website, there were fees listed for conducting this search. Is there away around this fee, or am I stuck paying this?

thanks!

The only reason I would do a lien search is if you know there is a vehicle of some sort in a unit or in an outdoor spot that has a VIN number on it. I would not care if there is a mattress in the unit that the tenant still owes money on. Have you looked inside the auction units? If not, you should, and document the lock cut procedure with pics and a witness, preferably a video of it all.

Comment

I'm new to operating in SC; reading the lien laws and preparing for our first auction. The SSA recommended that we do a lien search when the tenant is 20 days past due.
      When I went to the SC UCC website, there were fees listed for conducting this search. Is there away around this fee, or am I stuck paying this?

Law in AZ as well to do the UCC search before auction, we do not have to pay... I looked up in SC, looks like you have to pay a little, You can add it to your fees at the end of auction... IF YOU GET ENOUGH. Guess if not your just out the few $$

We always do it 10 days before auction, maybe the people will pay and don't have to do it. Lien on a car we take VIN info to MVD and they give us lien info there. that's how we do it in AZ.

Comment

Have you cut the lock and confirmed that there is a motor vehicle inside the unit?

There is no need to do a lien search if there is NO car!
        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
          Have you cut the lock and confirmed that there is a motor vehicle inside the unit?

There is no need to do a lien search if there is NO car!
          Not just a car though. A truck, a motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and water ski and trailer/boat and anything with a VIN on it.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

Not just a car though. A truck, a motorcycle, ATV, snowmobile and water ski and trailer/boat and anything with a VIN on it.
            Yes!! anything with a VIN!
            This is why it is so important to ask WHAT ARE YOU STORING!
            When they say a vehicle, we say...SHOW ME THE TITLE or you can't store here!

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

Yes!! anything with a VIN!
              This is why it is so important to ask WHAT ARE YOU STORING!
              When they say a vehicle, we say...SHOW ME THE TITLE or you can't store here!

We recently took over management of this location, and this was not a question asked previously. I've had other companies, such as furniture stores, respond and repossess furniture from a storage unit.

I think I am going to proceed with inventories and see what's even in these spaces. Fingers crossed that they are empty!

Comment

Originally posted by kdawn View Post

We recently took over management of this location, and this was not a question asked previously. I've had other companies, such as furniture stores, respond and repossess furniture from a storage unit.

I think I am going to proceed with inventories and see what's even in these spaces. Fingers crossed that they are empty!
                YES!! let's get those locks cut!!
                We all can't wait to see what you find!

Comment

Originally posted by kdawn View Post

Make sure you have a witness with you when cutting a lock and crossing the threshold when you open and when doing an inventory. Some states do not allow crossing the threshold though and you can just do a "sight" inventory. Make sure you video the whole thing.

Comment

Take a second person and take photos-LOTS of photos. NC had me check for liens as well-specifically from furniture and appliance rental companies, but it was a free site.
                    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                    Always sunny in California

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X