Moving from certified mail to email for auction notices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from certified mail to email for auction notices

Hello, we want to officially switch exclusively to email notification regarding auction notices. Our state recently passed a law to allow this. Has anyone made this switch, and if so, how did you notify your tenants?

By E-mail You need a E-mail address for them We use Store Edge and the soft ware will do it

Comment

Don't you need proof that they opened the email? ESS says we can't trust the report in their system.

Comment

The soft ware will tell you if they received it and if they also opened it

Comment

Yes, our software emails everything already. We always had to mail the auction letter certified, but now we legally have the option to email it. We need to notify our customers that auction letters will no longer be mailed via certified mail, and by email only. I'm trying to avoid sending out hundreds of certified letters to do so. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this transition before.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnolia View Post
            Yes, our software emails everything already. We always had to mail the auction letter certified, but now we legally have the option to email it. We need to notify our customers that auction letters will no longer be mailed via certified mail, and by email only. I'm trying to avoid sending out hundreds of certified letters to do so. Just wondering if anyone has gone through this transition before.
            What does your rental agreement say you need to do to change the terms of the rental agreement? If there is not a provision to change the rental agreement in your rental agreement, then you will need to make a new rental agreement with the new terms (including a section which allows you to change the notice in the future with notification). Then have every customer sign the new rental agreement.

Because of advice from here, several years ago I added a section to my rental agreement that allows me to make changes with 30 days written notice.

Comment

In NJ we are also now allowed to send demand letters via email!

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I placed it on the customer info form.. they initial and agree to electronic mail. But I am in AZ I know some states are different, I still always send a paper notice but we only have to do certificate of mailing. No more certified.

Comment

We are changing to email notices. We are sending them by Registered email and receive a notification when they are open. I still send a certified but will soon go with just a registered email. Our lease has the following statement in it. "NOTICES. To the fullest extent permitted by law, any notice or communication regarding this Lease or Occupant's use of the Leased Space ("Notices"), may be provided to Occupant electronically, and Occupant agrees to receive Notices in electronic form delivered to the electronic addresses provided by Occupant. Occupant authorizes and consents to Operator contacting Occupant at Occupant's residence, email box, cell phone and/or through social media, including by automated telephone calls or texts. Automated calls or messages may be used for conveying facility information, marketing or collection purposes. Electronic Notices will be considered to be "in writing," and will be considered to have been received by Occupant no later than five business days after transmission, whether or not Occupant has opened or retrieved them. Operator may reasonably assume that any Notice sent by Operator to the electronic address provided by Occupant will be received by Occupant.

Comment

How do you send a "registered email"?

Comment

RPost is a great resource for sending registered email and endorsed by our heroes at the Self Storage Legal Network!

https://rpost.com/industry-groups/rm...legal-network/
                      Kevin Kerr
                      Storage Commander Cloud Software
                      k[email protected]
                      Toll Free: 877.672.6257
                      Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin SC View Post
                        RPost is a great resource for sending registered email and endorsed by our heroes at the Self Storage Legal Network!

https://rpost.com/industry-groups/rm...legal-network/
                        Thank you.
                        I use storEDGE and in there we can see that emails have been sent, if they get opened and stuff like that.
                        We discuss from time to time. if these reports will be enough, if ever we get challenged by a tenant who may try and take us to court and say that they were never notified.
                        I am going to show this website to my operations manager!
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Foxes Den View Post
                          By E-mail You need a E-mail address for them We use Store Edge and the soft ware will do it
                          I use storEDGE too but we have always wondered if that report would be enough for any judge to side on our favor!

Comment

I can't remember exactly what it needs to have to qualify as "legal" for that purpose, but I think as long as it has a combination of open timestamp and ip address you would be on good footing.
                            Kevin Kerr
                            Storage Commander Cloud Software
                            k[email protected]
                            Toll Free: 877.672.6257
                            Direct: 951.867.4732

Comment

The notice in storEDGE does show a timestamp and an IP address if the email was opened.

What we are seeing is the emails that seem to not get delivered.
                              We get a notice that they are not being delivered, invoices and/or receipts and then we get to thinking, what will happen if this particular tenant finds themselves in lien and doesn't open the email!
                              What will the Judge do then, if it gets that far!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X