Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist

Hey everyone-

Got a question for everyone. I am trying to advertise my location on Craigslist. In the past when I did it in Northern California it was very successful and we got a good number of rentals from it. I have since moved to the Las Vegas area and noticed that a few of the bigger REIT's have pretty much taken over posting on Craigslist. Just take this morning for example. I turned my computer on at 9 am, went to Craigslist and one company had already posted 9 ads! Yes you read that right....9!! How is that possible and how do I compete with something like that? If I post more than 2 ads, I get ghosted and or flagged for spam. Is there something that I am missing? I mean I took about a 9 month vacation between jobs but I can't see that things have changed that fast.

Thanks,
    Josh

Re: Craigslist

They way they avoid getting in trouble is that they use a different email address for each posting. That way, Craigslist sees it as postings from 9 different people/companies!

We have a group in our area that posts 20+ every day between their 3 properties in the area! It's hard to be found that way, and I haven't come up with an answer, so I'm also anxious to see what others have to say.
    MamaDuke

Comment

I have advertised on CL and I always ask on the phone or in person how a new or possible new tenant found us. Not one time did I hear CL. I get more response for drive by-we have great signage, referral and internet. I stopped posting on CL. But maybe you need it at your facility in Vegas.

Comment

There will always be a cheapskate who will find a way to "rig" the system. Not sure I would ever look to CraigsList to rent a storage unit.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          I have advertised on CL and I always ask on the phone or in person how a new or possible new tenant found us. Not one time did I hear CL. I get more response for drive by-we have great signage, referral and internet. I stopped posting on CL. But maybe you need it at your facility in Vegas.
          In the case of craigslist , it is picked up quite regularly by google.com's search bots. This means when someone searches for "Yourtown self storage" many times a craigslist post will show up in results, this then feeds to your website/phone system.

As for getting around craigslist - The other companies/people are using individual craigslist accounts/emails along with web proxies that make it appear that individual computers are posting on the website rather than just one person.

Comment

We've advertised community events on Craigslist and didn't have anyone that came out say that's how they found us. I used to work for one of the REIT's and they told managers to post as often as they could on Craigslist to fill up as much page space as possible

Comment

Hey this is the OP, something happened to my other post. We have two locations in our area. One of them we have had for almost a year. In the last 6 months we have went from about 20% occupied to over 85% occupied. Now I have to say that this location is small (less than 200 units) but over 60% of our renters have come from Craigslist. This is something that we track. Our other location is new to our company (only had it since July) and September was really the 1st full month that the office was open. We have started seeing more and more of the larger REIT's doing multiple postings (some days as many as 20) and are just trying to figure out how we too can do this and be able to post more.

Thanks!
              Everyone Needs Their Space

Comment

I would not put a lot of effort in to Craigslist.
                Market all apartments within 5 miles of your property.
                Your best marketing tool are your managers.
                Stand up when new clients come in your office.
                Eye contact, firm handshake.
                Your storage managers must come off as storage experts and build value for your property and be able to convince that client that they should store at your property.
                Good luck and keep posting!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I absolutely refuse to advertise on craigslist. we have a website, we pay good money to get our name out there on the search engines, and we're right by neighborhoods that are expanding and an elementary school. and since we're the only U-Haul dealer in a 6 or 7 mile radius of where we're located, being on their website generates foot traffic here as well. I hear other people say they get a lot of business on craigslist, but we stay busy enough without having to deal with that

Comment

For what it's worth I report people gaming the system. As for Craigslist, we are on the vendor end so different than your usage but the few times we have used it for one thing or another it does drive a lot of traffic (while its on the front page). I can't say how much, or if any, of that traffic converted to sales though.
                    Burt Abreu

All From 1 Supply
                    Building & Maintenance
                    Products for Self Storage

Comment

I have been in the storage business for over 7 years now. I use Craigslist.
                      I have never got a rental form it.
                      I have, however, sold "trash" left behind on Craigslist.

Comment

While it isn't many, I get more rentals from Craigslist than our half page Yellow Page ad. We plan to greatly reduce the size of the overpriced ad next year and support the local paper ("journal" actually, I guess to small to be called a newspaper!) with more advertising.

For the 2 minutes it takes me to renew the Craigslist ad every week or two, the return is huge.

Comment

That's awesome!
                          In my company, we have 8 properties and they all get different results from Craigslist!!

If it works for you, then by all means spruce up that ad!!
                          maybe even offer a savings IF they mention the Craigslist ad!!

Comment

People that sell ad space for Yellow Pages and all the other phone book sources should be looking for a different career. We do not advertise in the Yellow Pages at all and I have seen the other facilities in town either go away also or have much smaller ads. I ask what brought the new tenant to our facility and never hear Yellow Pages or c/l.

Comment

When I ask the question, how did you find us today?
                              These are my top answers.

1. Drive By
                              2. Past Tenant
                              3. Customer service/over the phone

So this is why curb appeal is crucial!!
                              People do see us when they drive by. If you have a reader board, change the words often. Drive by's will notice when you change your signs.
                              Customer service OVER THE PHONE is also critical. You must gather as much info as you can. Take control of the call and the sale will follow. OFFER DIRECTIONS AND REPEAT THE NAME OF YOUR FACILITY BEFORE HANGING UP!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinWA
                                Ideas? We have this greasy dirt
                                by KrisinWA
                                and re-painted doors, so I can't have them pressure wash them. I wanted to know if anyone had a surefire dirt remover for their roll up doors? I'm thinking of squirt of dawn soap and vinegar in water. Anyone have something better?...
                                Yesterday, 06:02 PM
                              • KrisinWA
                                Reply to Tenant Points Gun at Manager
                                by KrisinWA
                                A lot of managers are by themselves, including me-most of the time. I have to do the rounds by myself and I wouldn't even think twice about lifting an unlocked door to check if it's empty or whatever....
                                Yesterday, 05:58 PM
                              • Gina6k
                                Reply to Artistic Endeavors
                                by Gina6k
                                I'm definitely crafty! I crochet, knit, sew, cook, bake, garden, write and more and love coming up with ideas and making them a reality. Never could embroider well, did a few cross stitch things and latch hook when I was younger. I can see something and turn around and make it myself. I'm also well-versed...
                                Yesterday, 05:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X