Live Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Chat

Great article about how operators can use a live chat feature. Is anyone doing this?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

meh. My spidey senses will not work on a chat like this.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Live chat seems to be just like an answering service using keystrokes instead of voice. the article did not mention who offers this nor the cost. It might be an after hours option, but I would only want my trained manager to handle this instead of some person. i am not even sure tht this uses a live person (like answering service, or just is software that allow my manager to do the chat.

Comment

Good question! I would think that, just like with any technology, there are options. I recently had a "live chat" experience with Amazon. At first, it seemed like I was speaking with a computer, but the conversation evolved, so I'm betting there was an actual agent behind the keyboard.
        Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
          Good question! I would think that, just like with any technology, there are options. I recently had a "live chat" experience with Amazon. At first, it seemed like I was speaking with a computer, but the conversation evolved, so I'm betting there was an actual agent behind the keyboard.
          I was on a chat yesterday with Amazon Prime. I thought I saw all kinds of names in this business but every time I get on a chat with them a whole new threshold is made. I was on with Senha. She took care of my problem though.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Intriguing.
            We used to have a live chat on our website that was always open. It was nice because customers could have their questions answered at all hours. Since I live here as well as work here I would leave the chat after office hours on so when I heard the "ding" I could come to the office ( door in between the office & apartment ) in my nightgown and answer the chat. The problem was customers wanted their questions answered at all hours and I wanted my sleep.
            I know I can change the hours but we decided to discontinue it.
            We use Sitelink, I wonder if they have a chat option? I will have to look around.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Amy, Checking the article you mentioned brings up an interesting point. West Coast Self-Storage has 30 facilities. The article says it processed 300 chats for January. That is about 10 per facility per month. Whatever the fee per month, that is not much activity.

From my experience, almost all of the questions potential customers ask if "How much?" and "What sizes?". Those are answered by our PRICES AND SIZES page. They are still the dominate information requested by people calling for information..

Personally, I think chat sucks. You type a question and wait for a minute or two before someone starts tying an answer. It is very slow compared to a live person. I only use it if I expect to go through a long list of transfers until I get a live person, e.g. AT&T.

If I pay for the service, the only thing that chat offers is contact with a person who refuses to call for answers. It would seem that our customers don't usually do a huge search for a facility. If they hit a site that does not offer chat, I doubt that would cause them to go and find chat somewhere else.

That being said, after hours answering where my manager does not have to be on duty should be helpful to snag a few customers occasionally. We answer 24/7. We get maybe 3-4 calls a week after office hours. And those are mostly 8 am to 9 am and 5 pm to 9 pm but only want to pay their bill.

We might get 1-2 new customers a month, maybe. But those are the "We need it tonight" crowd and won't rent unless you go and rent to them NOW.

Amy, do you have any companies that offer chat features that we might check them out?

Comment

lenmay Our buyer's guide doesn't yet have "live chat" or "chatbox" messaging, but it's something we should consider adding. I believe SiteLink does offer this feature via its , as does OpenTech.
                Last edited by Amy_ISS; 6 March 2018, 02:30 PM.
                Amy Campbell
                Editor
                Inside Self-Storage
                [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

We use Live Chat for our chat tool. It's $16/month, so pretty reasonable cost-wise. We've tried others, but we really like the features that this tool offers. Plus, it's one of the bigger players in the industry. A lot of the chat sessions that occur happen because we actually initiate the chat. We can see the customer on our site and can see where they are getting bogged down. We can then initiate a chat asking them if we can help them. We've gotten great feedback from these customers and have converted a large majority. We have an experienced storage person doing our chat so they can really talk the talk with the customer rather than some call center person that doesn't know anything about storage. They do this in addition to other customer service functions, so we're not having to add additional resources.

Comment

Thanks for that insight, DerekHines!
                    Amy Campbell
                    Editor
                    Inside Self-Storage
                    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

We've used Live Chat from Comm100 since the mid to late 2000's. Strangely, it's a free service ?!?! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's always worked incredibly well and we've certainly had inquiries and customers who prefer it. We've even picked up rentals that may have not come to us otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekHines View Post
                        We use Live Chat for our chat tool. It's $16/month, so pretty reasonable cost-wise. We've tried others, but we really like the features that this tool offers. Plus, it's one of the bigger players in the industry. A lot of the chat sessions that occur happen because we actually initiate the chat. We can see the customer on our site and can see where they are getting bogged down. We can then initiate a chat asking them if we can help them. We've gotten great feedback from these customers and have converted a large majority. We have an experienced storage person doing our chat so they can really talk the talk with the customer rather than some call center person that doesn't know anything about storage. They do this in addition to other customer service functions, so we're not having to add additional resources.
                        GREAT article Derek! I am wondering how you get it to integrate with your website? This is a feature I have never considered but LOVE the idea!!
                        Stephanie Tharpe
                        President
                        A+ Management Group, LP
                        Nashville, TN
                        www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Weíve been using Live Chat for a long time on our storage websites (https://www.livechatinc.com/) and it has proved to be a real success.

Customers love it because they get to speak to a real person without the fear of being sold to.

We love it because it allows us to have a conversation with people who clearly donít want to call us and itís much more personal than an email conversation.

its really important that whoever is running the chat service is knowledgable about storage and is able to respond quickly.

Comment

Bumping this up, I am going to be looking into adding this to my StorEdge marketing Web Site. Anyone using one of these in conjunction with those sites? Different companies to consider since this post is almost 2 years old?

Comment

I bumped this a couple months ago and didn't get any response. With the office being closed I really want to start using a live chat feature on my web site, so I wanted to give this another shot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X