Google - Project Beacon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google - Project Beacon

Has anyone else received the "beacon" from google? It randomly showed up at our office today in the mail. I activated it.... Any insight as to what good (or bad) this thing can do?

What is it and what is it for? I just looked. It's so Google can track you EVEN MORE!
    Last edited by pacnwstorage; 9th October 2018, 01:28 PM.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

For a second there I thought it was project bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
        Lol, right?
        I want buns of steel.
        I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

We have it our management company made sure. I don't how much it helps, but it can't hurt since we rely on Google so much nowadays.
          I want buns of steel.
          I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Here is a Google support article that discusses their "Project Beacon" https://support.google.com/google-ads/answer/7346102.

Since getting them and activating them, the main we've noticed is now when we take photos at our facilities Google Maps will say "Share your photos of (Our Facility)". It will also sometimes prompt users to "Share their experience" in the form of a Google review after visiting.
            Google is piloting a program where we send beacons to businesses with physical locations to make their venues more visible to customers with mobile devices. The program is currently free. Beacon

Comment

A beacon is a low power Bluetooth transmitter that is picked up by a phone. Each of these beacons has it's own ID code. Google can use them to determine when a person is at a particular location, with greater accuracy than GPS. Other people can use beacons as well, such as a shopping center, or a large sports stadium, or perhaps even a museum, along with an app to allow people to get more information about where they are, what might be nearby, or directions on how to find the closest restroom .

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                Ohhhhhhhhhh if it was project bacon I'd order another one

We got ours last week but haven't activated it. On one hand, as a business, it is great idea. On the other hand, as a person / customer, it is creepy that our movements are tracked. It is nothing new practically everything we do is tracked.

What is the consensus? Everyone going to use it?
                The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Hey DNolting, any updates on your experience with this? If it automates a request for a google review- and customers are actually leaving reviews- that's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by EagleEye View Post
                    Hey DNolting, any updates on your experience with this? If it automates a request for a google review- and customers are actually leaving reviews- that's awesome!
                    So far so good. We've received 2 new reviews since activating the device. Prior to that it had been weeks since a review had been made. I'll keep an eye it and will update this thread once I have a better idea of what its actually doing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X