Website Domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Domain

We are looking to get our domain setup and wanted to know if there is a benefit to using one service over the other like Google Domain or Go Daddy? The site we want is available and our 3rd option is to let our Software vendor buy/rent the domain for us. Pricing is a consideration and varies between all three of them. Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion on this topic.

Before I answer, what do you mean "domain setup"?

When you register, "grab", a domain name that is the process of registration. The company that does that for you is your registrar. The process is similar for all companies. First year registration is cheap. Renewing your registration is somewhere in the $15-$20 per year.

IMO, The difference in this annual cost is minimal and should not be a big deciding factor even with a tight budget. I use GoDaddy but many others work just fine.

NEVER let someone else register it in THEIR name. You need to own that URL. Some companies grab the website in their name and hold it ransom if you try to move away from the services. You need to be the owner. Since the domain name is available, it is free to grab and there is no one that owns it. Therefore, there is no one that can rent it to you. I would avoid renting because someone else may change prices.

In your "domain setup" you may also be including web hosting the site also. Your website is just a series of pages that can be viewed upon request. The hosting companies store your website, i.e. pages, on their server so they can be seen 24/7. They charge for the hosting.

Monthly charges range between $4 and $10+ per month. Those that charge more can be more helpful if you handle your website yourself and have questions. Since hosting companies tend to sell hosting in 2 or 3 year packages, this difference can add up.

You website should have relatively little traffic coming to your site. Most hosting services would work.

Which company should you consider as hosting? I suggest you go to the URL below. I took it from CNET.com/

They are an independent computer magazine. I trust their recommendations.the company that creates your website can also give suggestions. I use HostGator.

https://www.cnet.com/web-hosting/#ftag=LML0483914

Comment

If you're building your brand then I'd strongly recommend picking a domain you own. Make sure you do the registration yourself, as this will set a solid foundation that you won't regret years later when you've got a strong portfolio of facilities built and operating under that name. Having someone like godaddy host your site is just fine.

Comment

It never hurts to have some extra domain names as well. Long ago I secured my facilities names even before I had web sites. I have actually considered possibly selling some of the domains I don't primarily use. According to Godaddy www.allstorstorage.com and addaspacestorage.com would be worth a decent amount.

Has anyone ever sold a domain before?

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
          It never hurts to have some extra domain names as well. Long ago I secured my facilities names even before I had web sites. I have actually considered possibly selling some of the domains I don't primarily use. According to Godaddy www.allstorstorage.com and addaspacestorage.com would be worth a decent amount.

Has anyone ever sold a domain before?
          I could have had some AMAZING domains back in and around the year 2000 (when I got mine) but at the time didn't think of getting them LOL!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X