Interesting idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting idea

So I dont like the idea of running specials personally because people are absolutely crazy. BUT I had an interesting idea, wanted to see if others had any experience with this. Taking coupons ( say $10 off sign up or whatever) and taking them to uhaul places, realtors and property management companies basically companies that are also in the moving biz and then when a coupon comes back giving those companies a finders fee for giving out your coupon and recommending you. Thoughts?

I love it Storagelady!

Create separate discounts in your software so you can track each moving company's performance in your reports too.
    Kevin Kerr
    Storage Commander Cloud Software
    k[email protected]
    Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

I am curious if there would be an issue at the uhaul, property management company or whatever on who gets the money? Is it the person that recommended them or the company? It wouldn't be a lot of $$ but someone would need to get it.

Could you offer a referral prize every month/quarter? You would randomly pull one of the referrals and give away a $50 or $100 amazon card, tablet, TV or other prize. That way you don't need to write 10-15 checks per quarter, instead you would just buy one amazon card (and get the tax write off). I suppose it could work for current tenants too... You would just need to track all the referrals wherever they come in. It could actually be a fun facebook live video where you make a spectacle of it a few times per year

I'll be curious what other ideas people come up with

Matt

Comment

The last owners encouraged the Property Managers to talk to the managers of nearby storage facilities in hopes that they would refer customers to us if they were full or had someone looking for a unit that site didn't have. Each referral would be a $25 gift card that we would give to whichever employee sent us the customer. They did that at a brand new site they built and a local competitor brought the site 5 or 6 customers in about a month.
        A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

I have done that in the past. I networked even with other storage facilities so that we could cross-refer for sizes we didn't have available. I got more referrals from the Public Storage up the street than anywhere else! And for every referral, the manager that referred got a $25 gift card of his choice.

I did a ton of local apartments, movers, property management, and all storage properties within 5 miles (there were 35 in that radius!).
          MamaDuke

Comment

We have several moving companies that leave their flyers here. Only one of them has a huge $10 off coupon on the flyer, and that is the one most of my customers grab. I know we have sent them several customers by allowing them to leave their flyers here, but they have never done anything nice for us in return. For our facility,we offer a $50 referral fee to anyone who sends a customer that signs a contract. We don't write checks, it comes right out of petty cash, they just sign a form saying they received it. I have to keep a close eye on that though, as a few current customers are sneaky and will try to send a family member or friend in to rent a unit with the current special ( so they can downsize into it without me knowing.) Family member gets the discounted rent AND current customer gets the $50 for referral, while current customer moves into that new unit smiling bc now they don't have to pay rent, technically- we just paid them to downsize. I try to really nail them for not giving notice, and make them pay 10 days of rent but it doesn't always work out that way.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I loved the old referral deal I had with a competitor up the street. They'd rent to anybody. So, when unsavory characters showed up at my place and wanted a unit, I happily referred them up the street and claimed my $25 gift card.
              In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                I have done that in the past. I networked even with other storage facilities so that we could cross-refer for sizes we didn't have available. I got more referrals from the Public Storage up the street than anywhere else! And for every referral, the manager that referred got a $25 gift card of his choice.

I did a ton of local apartments, movers, property management, and all storage properties within 5 miles (there were 35 in that radius!).
                He was probably an underpaid or disgruntled employee looking to make extra cash

Comment

How did you track the referrals? Do you have them call or email hey I just sent “joe” your way or do they have some sort of card?

Comment

Referral programs have been around for years. The going rate used to be $25 but now it's $50 or more. I will gladly give anyone who sends me a referral $50. It is more than worth the money when you know what the rental is actually worth. If you rent a 10 x 10 for $100, and your average length of stay is 9 months, that is a $900 rental. Look at your reports and see what your average length of stay is across the board.

I agree to always track them. We can set them up in our website under How They Heard About Us and when they rent, just select the option that applies. For instance, ABC Apartment Tenant, or Chamber Member or Newspaper Ad. At the end of the month, we run the report to see where they came from.
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    President
                    A+ Management Group, LP
                    Nashville, TN
                    www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Our company does this. I go to competitors and give them our card to hand to customers they are unable to assist as they are full. They get a $25.00 gift card in return to thank them for the referral. We also refer to others if we don't have what the customer is looking for.

My former employer had a district manager who didn't understand why I would do this. It's called customer service. We try to build a relationship in the community and in doing so not everyone will like someone's location, their pricing, their offering, or their personality. We are competitors, but we are also co-workers through different companies.

Assisted living companies, local motels/hotels, restaurants that do catering, funeral homes - These are just a few of the companies to which I give referral cards asking for customers.
                      Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Referral programs are great. Always working to bring referral cards and snack bags to local businesses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X