Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your Oddest marketing tool or activity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your Oddest marketing tool or activity?

I have been known to come up with very very unusual ways of marketing properties. One that was extremely successful, was having a yard sale. Sound stupid, right? Not at all. The location was behind a strip mall with stores and our building looked like it was offices. We were not allowed to put a sign on the building either. MAJOR restrictions in this town. Also, didn't have a sign of any type for two years - STILL got my occupancy up enough that the property sold for 3X what it cost to build and that was within 5 years.

Yard sale - have it benefit a non-profit in your area that you will support for a few years and something that everyone in the community can agree upon. Mine was the local Boys & Girls club chapter.

Accept donations from the community for this non-profit to resell at the yard sale Instead of having a build up unit to auction off. Have a large parking lot or area to use? Mark it off in 20x8 spaces (a parking space) and rent it for $15 for the space for the day. The non-profit can advertise all over the place for a lot less money than you, that they are going to have the event and need people willing to set up their product to sell. That is all the people pay is the $15 for the space. You MUST give them approximately 6-9 months to put this all into place. I put the flyers up in my facility at three months prior to the event and took reservations for the yard sale. Had a couple of customers remove product from their units, but never emptied them. Had a customer who was purchasing a furnished home and hated the furniture. They rented a truck and trailer brought it all over and sold it off of the trailer. Never touching the stuff they had in storage.

At the end of the event, I had another non-profit come pick up the product that wasn't sold so they could put it in their shop. No dumpster use, no garbage and other non-profits sold food, water and soda. Boy scouts sold soda and cakes, Kiwanis sold breakfast sandwiches and hot dogs, a Local KJ donated his time to be able to give out cards for advertising his services for events.

For my present location, I'm pretty full, but I still had a blood drive for the community during this COVID 19 epidemic and 8 new people found me. You may not get immediate results, but the press LOVES a feel good story like these....
    Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

My oddest, but highly effective tool was my squeeze head. See @Storman's picture. LOL!
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
      My oddest, but highly effective tool was my squeeze head. See @Storman's picture. LOL!
      You have to tell me more.....Please.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
        Let me help you out here Gina....
        In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

I saw the squeeze head, but how did you use it?

Comment

I've been following in the footsteps of Gary Vaynerchuk, and buying into SMS/Text marketing. I find that I build great relationships with my tenants this way, as they feel it's a very welcoming, home-like facility. This brings in referrals like you wouldn't believe! Something as simple as a text message - which is included in our company plan so technically "$0 in ad spend" for some fairly decent results!

However, being a marketer for about 4 years before ever joining Self-Storage has taught me the best promotions ARE these "Oddballs", or $0 spend promotion. I've yet to find a team that brings the same value/ROI with PPC ads, as important as they are to a business.

Just my $0.02!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X