Promoting a facility expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promoting a facility expansion

Hi Guys. I've just expanded our facility to 90 units from 74 and am trying to think of different people to reach out to for referred clients. We're in a rural area of regional Australia in a town of 7000 people which is 20 minutes from a large (for Australia) city of 250,000 people. I've built up a relationship with a couple of removalists which has been very successful in sending work back and forth and am also working on the three local real estate agents. Our other forms of marketing so far have been boosted posts on facebook and letterbox drops. I've experimented with google ads too but it's very crowded and has 5 or 6 companies (from the large city nearby) all listed under local storage. Would love to hear some other ideas!

Senior housing facilities. I have several tenants here, where the children have housed their parents belongings until such time as they need to be distributed to surviving family or gotten rid of.

Small businesses. I have a few who don't have warehouse room and store here.

Good luck.

Comment

Apartment complexes. Some tenants of theirs may need an extra "closet"

You can advertise in local laundromats.
      Also think about when YOU go out shopping.
      Do you recall ever seeing a bulletin board where local businesses can post a flyer?
      If you can, print something out and get your name out there!

Do you have an equivalent of a Chambers of Commerce?

You have to put yourself out there!
      Walk in to your neighboring businesses and ask if you can leave a mini stack of business cards on their counter.

Good luck!
      Last edited by lady5563; 7 July 2021, 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Thank you for the responses guys! I think the aged care facility is a great idea as we do have one in the township. I've just sent them an email. And yes we do have a chamber of commerce I actually just attended my first meeting a couple of weeks ago! I really like the laundromat idea too I will approach them to see whether we might be able to work together.

Comment

Originally posted by familystorageaustralia View Post
          Thank you for the responses guys! I think the aged care facility is a great idea as we do have one in the township. I've just sent them an email. And yes we do have a chamber of commerce I actually just attended my first meeting a couple of weeks ago! I really like the laundromat idea too I will approach them to see whether we might be able to work together.
          I have created a "tear off" sheet
          You create a pretty poster of sorts, with your properties picture, your slogan or whatever!
          At the bottom of the paper on the vertical side, write the phone number and then folks can tear a small piece WITH your ph number to take away.

Tearoff-Flyertemp-thumb.jpg
          This is an example of what a "tear off sheet" would look like!
          Good luck!

Comment

Here in the states we have quick and easy stops to get your car's oil changed and/or tires.
            I have put my tear off sheet in these kind of stores and in our local Post Offices, pizza parlors!!
            Think about when YOU are out shopping..look for creative ways to advertise your facility!

Comment

familystorageaustralia
              Believe on a different post this totally fills out your current location. Also there is no other storage in your town of 7,000.

As I noted, your town has a demand for 420 storage units, not counting people outside of town. You should be filled up in 2 months, doing nothing. Read my post on Market Size, will they come.

But, in order of importance and cost/benefit:
              a. Do you have a road sign. Keep it simple. Location Name and phone number. Does your town have team sports with paid Banners along the fence? Try that, also. Your size of town, this will work.
              b. Google search, you want to be on the Google map and be in the top three, so you show on the front page. Example: Google "Self Storage Perth Australia". 1. You want to be a red dot on the map., 2. See the listings below the map. An Ad shows first, then the top locations from a Google ranking. If your not in the top Three, then do you have a web page and you need an SEO to boost your location Google rating.
              c. I note Sitelink is in Australia. I don't use their software, but believe they have a good SEO support package to help get your Google ranking up.
              d. Note "Sparefoot" is not in Australia. But there is "Spacer.com". Use them until you fill up, then turn them off.
              e. Uhaul. You probably don't have the space and it is not worth it since you only need to fill up 16 more units. Also I believe in a prior post you work about 20 minutes away. This would be an option when you go to add another bigger location. Get someone local to manage and give them the money. Uhaul will give you an immediate Google presence if you rent their units or use their storage software (webselfstorage). After you get rented up, then I would not use Uhaul rentals, unless you have an onsite paid manager.

Although the above advertising is important, I would be looking for another place to build and also immediately raise all rents. Buy on the road from this town, towards the larger town.

Success, just brings more work in Self Storage, especially in an under served market. Have fun with it.

Comment

I've read that post and find the analysis you do on the industry to be very compelling! I'd love to be filled up in 2 months and have been working very hard at it with plenty of letter box drops etc.

Road Sign: Yes we do and I recently sponsored the local cricket club (our main summer sport over here!) who put our sign up along their fence.

Google Search: Yes we're the top organic search for storage in our area however the storage king and national storage (the two big REITS we have in Australia) are above us due to paid advertising. I've been asking people to give us google reviews which has got our rating up to 4.4 stars (from 2 stars when we took over the facility).

Site Link: I spoke with these guys and another online booking platform about integrating online bookings to our new website (set up at the end of last year when we took over the facility) but have decided against it for now and am putting that money into security as I haven't had one customer so far tell me they would like to book online (being in a rural area they just don't seem to expect it to be be an option although I'm sure that will change over time).

Spacer: I was looking at this one yesterday! Definitely worth doing I think and from what I tell they only take a slice from each booking through them rather than a monthly fee or anything like that

U Haul: We have an Australian version of U Haul here however it seems to work differently from what you guys have over there as they are mainly at petrol stations. National Storage also obviously have an agreement with them as their at all National Storage's however as far as I can tell they only work with large national chains and don't let anyone apply to be an agent otherwise I think that might have been a good one for us.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X