Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening a new facility

Hi everyone,

I have been a property manager for 10 years. I am starting with a new company next week and have been assigned to a brand new property that will open in November. It will be so different than the crap hole I managed for 7 years. I am looking for marketing ideas to attract customers. Can anyone who has opened a new location share any ideas on how to attract business?

TIA
    Betty

What is the town and facility name?

Comment

Free Move in truck/ Marketing to local business and of course a couple specials on your website... maybe a free lock at move in. We opened in 2018, I was 100% by 2020. We gave a free 2nd month / free move in truck and a free lock. Of course if its a super nice place it will fill quickly! Or a reduced rate on some units, I have 130 10x20 standard units, I ran a special to fill them, and then just raised the rent by $10 every six months, (I told them this when they moved in) Filled them up. We also did a google campaign, the pay per click. We ended the free month about 10 months in.
      Marketing, I took cups with our logo stuffed with pens, etc to everyone in the area, apartment complexes, real estate offices, and just went back every month. The more you go back they remember you and do start giving your cards out. Good luck! and you will fill up fast, I am sure!!! And your local Chamber of Commerce, look for free advertising, even Craig's list, Facebook, Instagram and twitter.

Comment

I'm just a small guy with two locations, but do NOT believe in free months, trucks, etc. If you have a nice location, in a populated area, that is well run, the units will rent. Across the country units are very full everywhere and people are building more. SBAZ, do you think your freebies is what filled you up? Do you think without the giveaways it would have still eventually filled up? Yes, maybe it takes a little longer, but giving stuff away has a cost too.

Clarkstoragellc, I saw your post about giving away 3-4 months! That is wild to me! Maybe even a bit crazy! I Googled you. Are all your other locations full? Your new one will fill too. Start with a price just below the competition, and raise it as you fill up.

BRB Storage, I have not opened a new location like you ask about, but bought a location that was 38% full. I RAISED the prices and cleaned the place up. Fixed doors, lights, and hung up a PH# that calls my office 6 days a week. Later I expanded at that same location and both times everything rented no problem.

These opinions are worth what you paid for them. Have a great weekend! - Jim

Comment

Pay 2 months and get 1 month free

Comment

I don't like free either.

Maybe you could consider an incentive to pay in advance

Pay 6 months (in full) receive 1/2 off the 7th month (They would pay 6 and 1/2 months rent at one time)
            Pay 12 months receive the 13th month for free (they would pay the 12 months in full)
            Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

The only thing that we have ever offered was 12th month free if paying a year in advance. I agree with U Rent It Ohio , investing in cleaning up the area, great security camera system, updating doors and whatnot as needed - goes a long way with tenants. As does regular contact with a site manager or office manager. We have always averaged 96% occupancy, waiting list for certain sizes and only raise rates every 2-3 years by less than $5. I hold two auctions year and usually only have around 5-8 units each time for non-payers.

Comment

The more you learn about the community you are in the easier it is to market. If it's a traditional community, use traditional marketing - post cards, attend events to give out business cards, get a non profit involved in your property in some manner - maybe a toys for tots donation location. Give out treats at Halloween to enable people to find your location. Do things at a minimal cost to get started. Don't blow out your year's marketing budget to sign up a Santa for photos type of situation.

If you are in a renter's community, appeal to the renter of those small apartments who may have more product to store than they can fit in their apartments. Take a tour of the apartment complexes as if you were going to rent - just like touring your competition. Find out their "perks". Ask permission to put a flyer into their move-in kits with a tracer.

Contact all of the realtors around and have an event Specifically for them to tour the property and offer them a special like a referral special with a tracer.
                Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

You can put up a big banner outside your facility and offer an Introductory rate for all your units. I'm not a fan of free rent also, the most that I probably would do is 50% off x 2 mos. You can also give out Referral coupon flyer to give them an additional rent credit maybe $20or $50 depending on what you are comfortable with. Free pens with your logo in it are good give away!

Comment

I wouldn't offer anything FREE until I had been open for a minimum of 3 months and then if I was struggling trying to lease up, it would only be then that I would attempt FREE.

Why give away free when you have not yet determined that your market won't pay what you are asking?
                    Why not just offer a free lock at move in?
                    $5 worth of boxes?
                    Not FREE rent!
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

BRB Storage
                      Are you still out there?

Comment

[QUOTE=U Rent It Ohio;n206175]I'm just a small guy with two locations, but do NOT believe in free months, trucks, etc. If you have a nice location, in a populated area, that is well run, the units will rent. Across the country units are very full everywhere and people are building more. SBAZ, do you think your freebies is what filled you up? Do you think without the giveaways it would have still eventually filled up? Yes, maybe it takes a little longer, but giving stuff away has a cost too.

Yes, that is what filled us up, I have quite a few storage facilities that are competition in the area, The truck was what really helped, I do actually think we still would have filled up, the market for storage was not what it is at this time. as we opened in 2018. And as I am not the owner I had to roll with the free months etc, I was very anxious to stop the free month. Most of the giveaways I took to market with, I have been doing this 18 years and it is true that if you keep going back to apartment complexes and real estate offices, they do remember you. Owner wanted to fill up as we needed to start our second phase.

I do not like Sparefoot and even when we were trying to fill up, too much.

And at this time I offer not a single discount at all..... Nothing.. Standard rate for all....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X