Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Violating terms of contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violating terms of contracts

Just curious how others deal with tenants that violate terms of their contracts. I had a tenant decide to conduct a huge garage sale on site. She had the contents of her unit covering the entire lot and driveway as well as blocking the doors of several other units. Needless to say we had some words. I never cease to be amazed how inconsiderate some people can be. How have others dealt with these situations?

I would terminate her lease and tell her to move out

Comment

Thirty day notice to vacate along with a copy of what she signed that has the violation highlighted. That's how I do it.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I would not terminate, raise the heck out of her rent and let her decide to walk. You might open your self up to a frivolous discrimination lawsuit of some sort. If it's $100 raise to $200. If $200 raise to $400.
        Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Get her out asap because if you let her stay something else will happen from this entitled drama queen. Was this during normal business hours or when the office was closed?
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Is she usually a troublemaker? Does she pay on time? Is this the first time she's done something boneheaded? Was she apologetic? Is she's usually a good tenant then I'd just tell her not to do it again and let it go. However, if she's a habitual offender then get rid of her.
            I want buns of steel.
            I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

He said they had some words. I wonder just how apologetic she was with those "words". She also broke the rules of the lease, he had said. That to me means she didn't care and at my facility, she would be gone asap. I know, I know, I have a much lower tolerance than some here but to keep from having discontent on some of these threads, other members here have PM me and agreed with me and also said they had listened to what I had said when they first posted about a problem. I see the "prospective" tenant attitude getting worse when it comes to what they feel they are entitled to do. Let things slide and it snowballs. But as I have said many many times, if it works for you, do as you feel is right. An incident like this blows up to include other future incidences.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                Is she usually a troublemaker? Does she pay on time? Is this the first time she's done something boneheaded? Was she apologetic? Is she's usually a good tenant then I'd just tell her not to do it again and let it go. However, if she's a habitual offender then get rid of her.
                This is the best procedure, was she aware of the rules about garage sale? Is it in your lease, if not it should be.
                Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Scott View Post

This is the best procedure, was she aware of the rules about garage sale? Is it in your lease, if not it should be.
                  Yeah, but I'm a sucker, too.
                  I want buns of steel.
                  I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Cut ties immediately, since they broke the contract, otherwise it will always be something. I'll share a quick story with you. I was reading the local newspaper and saw our logo and that we were having a huge auction on site. Funny thing; I had not placed this massive display ad. It was done by Wells Fargo! It turns out they had foreclosed on a business, an employee of the liquidation firm rented a unit from us (no company name on the lease). Of course I immediately started making phone calls, cease and desist letters etc. because the ad they ran made us look really bad.

Back to the OP, think about how comfortable your other tenants visiting their units would be with unknown people on site, potentially checking out what they have stored. Even if it was a unwittingly dumb move on the tenant's part, once you let one thing slide, like a kid, they'll keep pushing to see what they can get away with. I'd put a stop to it now based on that little section in your lease agreement that states either party may terminate with notice of X number of days. You don't have to state a reason, just a simple letter stating your lease agreement with ABC Storage is terminated effective X days from the date of the notice. Mail a copy and post a copy in a sealed envelope on their unit and move on.
                    Gina 6k
                    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                    storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Just when you think you've heard it all...
                      "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

I think it depends on the situation and which rule was broken. If it's a minor rule, a stiff warning should be ok. Most people don't read, and those that do don't remember.

As soon as you notice the garage sale, just put an end to it. If anything else comes up, then out she goes.

If it were sleeping in unit, drugs etc, then 100% out she goes.

Our lease says any violation of the lease calls for immediate termination and eviction within 24hrs, notice or no notice. Happened 2 times with people sleeping in their units. We caught them the 1st time it happened the next morning, and out they went kicking and screaming. No exceptions for us on those type of violations.

Comment

The OP said she argued with the manager. Not apologetic at all. She felt entitled to do what she wanted to do. Accepting this will lead to other problems, mark my words.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                            The OP said she argued with the manager. Not apologetic at all. She felt entitled to do what she wanted to do. Accepting this will lead to other problems, mark my words.
                            Oops I didn't see that part. Yes 100% out, no exceptions. If she would have noticed it while it was going on then usually a simple shut down of the activity will take care of it, but if the tenant argues then sorry, they need to be evicted. As a tenant, you sign a document agreeing to abide by those set of rules. If you can't follow them there are consequences. Funny how people complain about something they agree to.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                              Ok. Couple of points.

No where in the OP's only post did is say they argued. He/she stated they had some words. It could have been just a conversation.

Second, OP doesn't state that their contract does NOT allow garage sales at their facility. Sure I would not want one to happen at my facility either, but looking over my contract, it does not state that they are NOT allowed.

So we don't really know what the OP's contract allows or does not allow. He/she is upset about what happen evidently, but I would error on the side of a stern repremand and consider all the benefits/consequences of keeping the tennant or not.

I agree with giving the tennant the required notice to vacate the premises.
                              Last edited by Newco; 15th May 2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Griz326
                                Reply to Market saturation???
                                Griz326
                                Building incrementally is tough.

* Building a storage unit ain't cheap.
                                * It is a nearly irreversible commitment to a certain type of development.

It is the commitment to a certain type of land development that most concerns me.
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM
                              • RMRSS
                                Reply to Customers who sneak out before gate lockout
                                RMRSS
                                Yes, being able to send people to collections would pretty much totally reduce my stress in these situations (knowing they wouldn't get away with it), but although our management company (of which I'm an employee, btw, not a partner) has not yet set this up. I do plan to bring it up to the relevant...
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Customers who sneak out before gate lockout
                                pacnwstorage
                                I would send him to collections asap and get that set up, which takes a day. Secondly I would leave a detailed review about him and his company at any number of business review sites. Mainly about him because you have no dealings with his business. Next I would wait for him outside his business and...
                                Yesterday, 09:16 PM
                              Working...
                              X