Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Violating terms of contracts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising the rent is a good motivator to make them leave if they've proven they won't listen and you don't want to deal with eviction. Our rental agreement states we can limit access hours to ensure customer safety and that the rules are followed. I had a customer that didn't want to follow the rules and tried living in a unit before we installed the gates so I told him his choices were leave, or I overlock his unit and he only gets to access it when I am in the office. He was gone within a week. Unfortunately he also left "presents" all over the property.

Comment

He was "entitled" to leave those presents because he can do no wrong and you are the bad guy as the authority. Waste of your time and effort.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Love all the replies. To clarify a few points it is in the contract that conducting any type of business, " to include but not limited to garage type sales " is strictly forbidden. Additionally there are other terms such as all property must be maintained fully within the leased unit and no vehicles can be parked other than to load and unload. And the" words " we had were not of a friendly nature. It became nasty when she refused to stop the sale. So I took one of the suggestions and raised her rent. So my next question is how do you guys handle a tenant that refuses to vacate? I realize the answer will vary depending on each state's laws. But generally speaking if you give them proper notice to vacate and they ignore you am I then going to have to go to court like a residential eviction? Again love the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by lighthousealarms View Post
          Love all the replies. To clarify a few points it is in the contract that conducting any type of business, " to include but not limited to garage type sales " is strictly forbidden. Additionally there are other terms such as all property must be maintained fully within the leased unit and no vehicles can be parked other than to load and unload. And the" words " we had were not of a friendly nature. It became nasty when she refused to stop the sale. So I took one of the suggestions and raised her rent. So my next question is how do you guys handle a tenant that refuses to vacate? I realize the answer will vary depending on each state's laws. But generally speaking if you give them proper notice to vacate and they ignore you am I then going to have to go to court like a residential eviction? Again love the replies.
          You're probably going to have to go to court to get her evicted. My 30-day notice states that if they aren't out by the date/time stated in the notice, I can have them trespassed. Also states anything left in the unit is disposed of. So far, no one has tested that.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

If she broke the rules then she broke the rules and she should be evicted. There are rules that you can overlook and those that you shouldn't. That was a biggie especially after she was asked/told to stop.

I don't understand about raising the rate. If you doubled her rent would that be considered price gouging? Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

What if she pays double would that entitle her to have another sale? When she comes in she will be waiving the letter saying " you are just doing this to be vindictive, you can't double my rent ". I would just evict her.
            Last edited by Iamkathleenj; 11th July 2018, 06:26 PM.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
              If she broke the rules then she broke the rules and she should be evicted. There are rules that you can overlook and those that you shouldn't. That was a biggie especially after she was asked/told to stop.

I don't understand about raising the rate. If you doubled her rent would that be considered price gouging? Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent.

What if she pays double would that entitle her to have another sale? When she comes in she will be waiving the letter saying " you are just doing this to be vindictive, you can't double my rent ". I would just evict her.
              Curious. What rules can be overlooked?

Comment

Leaving a bag of old dirty clothes or food outside the hallway instead of taking it with them to discard at their place. Smoking (warning - don't do it again). Must be out by 10pm - they are there 10:10pm. After moving in forgot to put the lock on the unit & then left the facility.

Little things like that. They are rules but nothing to evict, in my opinion.
                The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post
                  Leaving a bag of old dirty clothes or food outside the hallway instead of taking it with them to discard at their place. Smoking (warning - don't do it again). Must be out by 10pm - they are there 10:10pm. After moving in forgot to put the lock on the unit & then left the facility.

Little things like that. They are rules but nothing to evict, in my opinion.
                  Agreed about the eviction aspect but I was just curious why. Thanks. Smoking would be the big no no though. We hear all the time about facilities catching fire because of breaking smoking rules.

Comment

Our agreement covers a general "Nuisance" clause which prohibits any act or cause any act which may be a nuisance in or on the premises. I think that would cover us!

Comment

As a lawyer once told me, "If it isn't documented, it didn't happen." If you have wordage like that in a lease you still need to document that with signs around the facility about big no no's like no smoking and no working on vehicles or other items at the unit....etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                        As a lawyer once told me, "If it isn't documented, it didn't happen." If you have wordage like that in a lease you still need to document that with signs around the facility about big no no's like no smoking and no working on vehicles or other items at the unit....etc.
                        Thanks pacnwstorage, I will check with our owner and see if wants to do something like that. It's a good thought though.

Comment

I have found that if they break the rules or try to bend them and when you call them on it and they discuss/protest you calling them down on it then they are always going to be a problem. I don't care how nice you are or how stern you are they are going to push you as much as they can. We just had one move in and right on our outside wall of our office building right in front of where he parked is a sign that states All Animals must be kept in your vehicle. And I always let people know while doing the agreement that if they have pets keep them in the vehicle. After he went to his unit I looked at the video cameras. And of course the dog is out of the vehicle. I went down to tell him he had to keep the dog in the vehicle. Well can't I just tie him up? NO! He minds real good to voice commands. NO! If I let you do it then I have to let everyone do it. Well my friend is taking the pickup. Then put him in the moving truck. He reluctantly agreed. Guess what he pushed that until I was getting ready to go back out and then the dog was put up. I know this man is going to be a problem from the get go. He had some other people join him to help with unloading the truck. He came into the office and told me they were going to go get drinks and that the dog was in the truck and the stuff was out around the back of the truck. I told him to leave someone with the truck. He stated no one has even been around their area the stuff should be fine...again I stated please leave someone with the truck. Next thing I know they are all gone. Like I said trouble from the start.
                          Never stop learning. Means we are still alive.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                            Reply to Joking Around
                            pacnwstorage
                            He Loved Hearing His Own Voice
                            Ronald was sitting at the breakfast table one Sunday morning reading the USA Today entertainment section.

He had just read an article about a beautiful movie star who had announced that she was going to marry a football player, who was famous not only for...
                            Yesterday, 10:52 PM
                          • bentsmom
                            Reply to Thanksgiving Week
                            bentsmom
                            We started a little early and held Customer Appreciations Days at our 3 offices this past Friday and Saturday. For two days we had snacks & refreshments for our customers. Saturday we held a drawing at each office for a gift basket worth $100.00 each. We did not get tons of people but anyone who...
                            Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                          • Steve_hajewski
                            Reply to Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!
                            Steve_hajewski
                            Lock the empty units. While yes, a person could rent a unit and eventually get into the neighboring one, you should at least then have a photo and scan of their ID which should be a pretty good deterrent. Plus, what they said above is good advice.

A person could assemble buildings with...
                            Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                          Working...
                          X