Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Storage Units in Separate Remote Locations in a Rural Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Units in Separate Remote Locations in a Rural Area

Hi I am a manager in rural area. We have 4 separate locations, each about 5 miles from the other, with one central office location. We were thinking about changing office hours and only opening in the morning till noon and just staying on call the rest of the day. We normally sign on new tenants over the phone by using our online software anyway. We normally only have people come into our office just to make cash payment. Does anyone have a similar situation/ experience? And how do you normally operate on a day to day basis? Thank!

I have 2 facilities about 5 miles apart with an office in one. Rural area. @ 90% of my rentals are online as well.

I just have office hours by appointment and post my cell #. Only 1 of my 5 competitors has regular office hours. I've found that managing expectations with the customer/tenant is the key. I drive through both locations twice daily and check the office drop box for payments. I generally spent 2-3 half-days in the office catching up on bills, payments and doing collections calls (as well as mowing, spraying and sweeping out vacant units). Seems to work pretty well for me.
    Last edited by redbird; 9th August 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Griz326
      Reply to Market saturation???
      Griz326
      Building incrementally is tough.

* Building a storage unit ain't cheap.
      * It is a nearly irreversible commitment to a certain type of development.

It is the commitment to a certain type of land development that most concerns me.
      Yesterday, 11:24 PM
    • RMRSS
      Reply to Customers who sneak out before gate lockout
      RMRSS
      Yes, being able to send people to collections would pretty much totally reduce my stress in these situations (knowing they wouldn't get away with it), but although our management company (of which I'm an employee, btw, not a partner) has not yet set this up. I do plan to bring it up to the relevant...
      Yesterday, 09:53 PM
    • pacnwstorage
      Reply to Customers who sneak out before gate lockout
      pacnwstorage
      I would send him to collections asap and get that set up, which takes a day. Secondly I would leave a detailed review about him and his company at any number of business review sites. Mainly about him because you have no dealings with his business. Next I would wait for him outside his business and...
      Yesterday, 09:16 PM
    Working...
    X