Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Storage Units in Separate Remote Locations in a Rural Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Units in Separate Remote Locations in a Rural Area

Hi I am a manager in rural area. We have 4 separate locations, each about 5 miles from the other, with one central office location. We were thinking about changing office hours and only opening in the morning till noon and just staying on call the rest of the day. We normally sign on new tenants over the phone by using our online software anyway. We normally only have people come into our office just to make cash payment. Does anyone have a similar situation/ experience? And how do you normally operate on a day to day basis? Thank!

I have 2 facilities about 5 miles apart with an office in one. Rural area. @ 90% of my rentals are online as well.

I just have office hours by appointment and post my cell #. Only 1 of my 5 competitors has regular office hours. I've found that managing expectations with the customer/tenant is the key. I drive through both locations twice daily and check the office drop box for payments. I generally spent 2-3 half-days in the office catching up on bills, payments and doing collections calls (as well as mowing, spraying and sweeping out vacant units). Seems to work pretty well for me.
    Last edited by redbird; 9th August 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dave Scott
      Reply to Overlocking
      Dave Scott
      Man you need to get educated and your lease straightened up to what Ill. state laws say about self storage. This guy should have been over locked 60 days ago and up for disposal now. Do you have any units behind on rent and what do you do to them.Do you over lock them?
      Today, 09:45 PM
    • pacnwstorage
      Reply to Overlocking
      pacnwstorage
      Boat trailer or a unit, your freakin' lease should say something about locking out a non paying tenant. Do you have a lease, I guess is the next question? Who drew it up? This type of stuff has been addressed time and time again. Late enough, lock them out, period!

Just what does the lease...
      Today, 09:19 PM
    • EagleEye
      Reply to Skip Credit Card Transaction Charges - The Wants vs Reality
      EagleEye
      I've had a local merchant who focuses on small business offer this to us. I personally prefer paying credit card processing fees and having immediate funds. The 10-day delay we commonly have with ACH payments creates way too many accounting issues. I do know that a tenant using a debit cad instead of...
      Today, 09:18 PM
    Working...
    X