Accidental Storage units owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental Storage units owner

This is my first forray into the self-storage unit business. We are located in San Antonio TX and TXDOT used emminent domain to take over and demolish our liqur distribution warehouse. We got a temporary restraining order against them, buying us some time to find a new location. There wasn't much available that was suitable for our needs, so we ended up buying a property with 2 warehouses, a residence and 9 self-storage units as well as some RV parking spaces. The warehouses and self storage units were in deplorable condition and it took a while to make the warehouses functionable and useable. I am now on to the storage units. I need to replace/repair doors as well as the insulation etc. I am looking for help on what is acceptable or deemed the bare minimum for lower end units. For example, our doors are not roll-up doors but apparently self-built doors with a steel frame and sheetmetal on the outside. Are people okay with that or do I need to have a roll up door? To make matters worse, none of the units are the same size. they all range from 13'x19' to 14'x19 with increments in several inches in between. Makes buying a roll up door difficult, I guess. I'll start reading on here and then post my experiences and calls for help. Thanks for letting me join.

Tenants will care that the door opens and closes and is secure when locked.
    They do not care if it opens like a swing door or a roll-up door.

Tenants also care about cleanliness, security and customer service.
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

What lady said. Welcome to the forum.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Welcome, Timmer! Sounds like an adventure. As long as they work the tenants won't care. You're one step up from last facility which was wooden walls and hollow core doors, so that's something.
        I want buns of steel.
        I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Grizz
          Reply to Pro Rating Lease suggestions
          Grizz
          Are all these options available in site-link?
          Today, 07:00 PM
        • Grizz
          Reply to Naming a new facility
          Grizz
          City storage.com is perfect. You want the search engines to find you fast and first. And people will search in the cities they are living in or moving to with terms such as "Abq Storage mini storage", outdoor storage, heated storage, etc....

Fancy and fun names dont make the phone...
          Today, 06:48 PM
        • Steve_hajewski
          Reply to Move In Deposit
          Steve_hajewski
          I also require no deposit with credit card autopay sign up. I'm around 95% autopay.

Very rarely do i have anyone leave a unit damaged or with junk in it. The bigger problem is people who have cards go bad or don't keep enough balance in checking for debit cards.
          Today, 06:10 PM
        Working...
        X