new to storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to storage

hi all, sort of jumped the gun and skipped my introduction, as you know time can be pressing and i needed answers to some of my questions in a hurry, well any help or advice on a first time storage purchase, construction, operation feel free to give me a shout!!!

When we were first exploring self-storage and considering whether to buy or build, we bought Inside Self Storage's guidebook series. I think it is about $150 and it is three "books" more like magazines that give a great overview of buying, building and running a self storage business. It is updated every year.

Mark Helm's book "Creating Wealth Through Self Storage" is a strong resource too - and I know he now advocates for building as much as buying so check his blog out for more.

You should also make sure you subscribe to Inside Self Storage, Mini Storage Messenger and SpareFoot StorageBeat so you get the latest news, and of course join SSA and your state chapter of SSA.

All of this will cost less than $1000, and it will take you an hour to order/sign up.
    Sensei, Self-Storage Ninjas
    Black Belt Feasibility Consulting
    www.selfstorageninjas.com
    www.facebook.com/selfstorageninjas

Comment

may i ask, are you affiliated with any of these organizations or systems?

Comment

No. I write for those magazines and blogs, and of course I belong to SSA!
        Sensei, Self-Storage Ninjas
        Black Belt Feasibility Consulting
        www.selfstorageninjas.com
        www.facebook.com/selfstorageninjas

Comment

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

You're telling us you do not have the time to do the proper research and want us to spoon feed you all you need to know about the self storage business.??

Comment

Well as my brother used to tell me when I'd mess with him about asking for military discounts at every single place, even at a fast food drive thru "you never know, and it doesn't hurt to ask" and he would get a lot of discounts most people wouldn't know were even offered because of it. So while i'm sure most people find it annoying that someone was expecting "freebies" that most of us have spent years paying/working to learn, it doesn't hurt to ask, he may even get some private messages offering help.

My concern is the "needed info in a hurry" aspect, if you are jumping into buying/building a storage without learning the ropes about the industry enough to know what you are doing or how to handle it then I foresee numerous problems in your future. Look up your local SSA and find the next gathering/meeting they are having. Attend it, network with others and you might find some that would be happy to show you around a facility or two and give you some insights as well as make some connections with vendors/companies that you will need to do business with such as merchant services, banks, construction etc..

Comment

I am more concerned that new members keep posting their very first thread and it is full of questions of how to do this and how to do that and questions that can easily be answered in the state statutes and they don't go to the Newbie section and introduce themselves so we get an idea of who they are and where they want to be.

As an ASE Master Tech I belong to repair forums for vehicles and the same thing happens there. They post the very first time and want answers to questions about their vehicle without introduction and without telling anyone of what has been attempted so far on the repair and the results of the same. Then after 30 minutes goes by they post again and rail against other members for not answering them immediately.

Questions are great, no problem, but introduction helps smooth the way for those questions. Plus, that ever present, "in a hurry" just rubs me the wrong way.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                Well as my brother used to tell me when I'd mess with him about asking for military discounts at every single place, even at a fast food drive thru "you never know, and it doesn't hurt to ask" and he would get a lot of discounts most people wouldn't know were even offered because of it. So while i'm sure most people find it annoying that someone was expecting "freebies" that most of us have spent years paying/working to learn, it doesn't hurt to ask, he may even get some private messages offering help.
                Did your brother serve?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post

Did your brother serve?
                  Yeah, navy for quite awhile. Kittyhawk is the only ship I can recall the name of but I know he said he was on a sub also at one time.

Comment

I was on the USS Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Makes sense he was in for quite a while because when you sign up for sub duty, at least it used to be this way, you obligated yourself to 6 years duty. If he was on the Kitty Hawk, was he ships company or squadron? I was ships company.

By the way, I always ask for military and senior discounts. I earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

I'm the same way.

I always check ID when someone asks for a military discount, I don't have a tolerance level for anyone trying to fake it....

Comment

Yea, stolen valor gets me very mad and and sometimes violence ensues.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          I was on the USS Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Makes sense he was in for quite a while because when you sign up for sub duty, at least it used to be this way, you obligated yourself to 6 years duty. If he was on the Kitty Hawk, was he ships company or squadron? I was ships company.

My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!
                          Last edited by MamaDuke; 20th July 2019, 09:06 PM.
                          MamaDuke

Comment

My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went to Afghanistan for awhile and was stationed in japan for awhile before being stationed in Houston and coming to stay with us.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!
                              VF-213 was a squadron that made numerous tours with the Kitty Hawk. I was ships company from 71-75. If he was on during that time he was on when I was there on that same ship. I had a landlord that I lived in one of his places before I started self storage and he was a squadron jet pilot on the Kitty Hawk the same time I was ships company.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bighank
                                Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
                                by Bighank
                                Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
                                Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                              • KrisinNC
                                Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                                by KrisinNC
                                This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
                                Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                              • Beebop
                                Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                                by Beebop
                                Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
                                Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              Working...
                              X