Lease Agreements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lease Agreements

I am new to the industry and have just taken over the position of property manager. There are several of our tenants that have never signed lease agreements with the previous owners. How do we go about getting them to come in and sign a lease agreement now?

Call them if you have numbers, or you can overlock the units and they'll have to stop by...
    AmyLou

Comment

Send a message via every means you have on them-phone, email, text or postal mail. Overlock their units and if you have a code, lock that out as well-and post a notice on their unit with a note in the envelope stating, "Hi Tenant! We're happy that you're renting with us at Happy Happy Self Storage (or whatever your storage co. name is..lol). Please stop by the office as soon as possible-thanks, Management!
      When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

You may have to bribe them to do so. Like a $10 or $5 a month credit on the next rent to get them to show up. Some will want you to mail the lease to them. DO NOT DO THAT! They will read them and then cross things out and change wording. Must be at the facility. If they say they are living elsewhere, then they can have a friend come in and sign by proxy for them after that friend shows you a notarized affirmative agreement that allows them to sign on their behalf. If all the recommendations from above and my recommendation does not work, then send "Tony and his boys" to convince them to show up.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Yes to all of the above advice. Hopefully they will all come in and sign up. I have seen properties with this issue and had major issues getting folks to come in and sign a lease. Put a time frame on those notices your sending out. Are you sure these are actual tenants and not the previous managers storing stuff without permission? Has there been money coming in to pay rents for those units?
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
            Yes to all of the above advice. Hopefully they will all come in and sign up. I have seen properties with this issue and had major issues getting folks to come in and sign a lease. Put a time frame on those notices your sending out. Are you sure these are actual tenants and not the previous managers storing stuff without permission? Has there been money coming in to pay rents for those units?
            Ugh, there's a nightmare scenario-I was putting blinders on and assuming everything was kosher-though it's probably not.
            When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

For future reference, you're more than likely going to ask them to come in to execute a RENTAL agreement rather than a lease agreement. Generally, leases are for terms of 12 months or more, where rental agreements are generally for 30 days. Every 30 days the rental agreement renews if they pay the rent and you provide the space. A rental agreement can most easily be cancelled by either party at the conclusion of the current rental term (usually 30 days).
              In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

I have a letter that you mail to them with a contract to complete. You keep a copy in their file. After 30 days, it takes effect whether they sign it or not.

Just like a rate increase, you are just updating the terms of their month-to-month rental, and it goes into place when the rental renews at the next month. I will PM you the text of the letter.
                MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                  Yes they have been paying and everyone seems pretty nice and easy to get along with. Thanks for all the information.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
                    I have a letter that you mail to them with a contract to complete. You keep a copy in their file. After 30 days, it takes effect whether they sign it or not.

Just like a rate increase, you are just updating the terms of their month-to-month rental, and it goes into place when the rental renews at the next month. I will PM you the text of the letter.
                    Thanks that would be good. I would love to see the letter

Comment

Our facility has been open less than a year. We are in the process of getting our lease revamped. How do we handle all of our current tenants- do we ask them to resign the new lease?

Comment

You ask/encourage them to come in and sign a lease or set up a way to do it digitally. Just because they may not sign it does not mean that they have not been warned or asked to do so and therefore the new lease will still hold ground. If they do not sign then make sure you document the whole process you went thru and what they did or said thru that process.
                        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by jmather View Post
                          Our facility has been open less than a year. We are in the process of getting our lease revamped. How do we handle all of our current tenants- do we ask them to resign the new lease?
                          I have a form I will PM. You send this letter with the new lease. It takes effect 30 days after it's mailed in the same way a rent increase would. And it's effective whether they actually sign it or not. You just keep a copy of the letter and new lease in their file.
                          MamaDuke

Comment

Soooo can I be greedy and ask for a sample rate increase letter as well....

Comment

Originally posted by jmather View Post
                              Soooo can I be greedy and ask for a sample rate increase letter as well....
                              PM Sent
                              MamaDuke

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                                by Storman
                                feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                                Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                              • Merman
                                by Merman
                                I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                                Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                              • IceBox
                                by IceBox
                                Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                                Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X