Past Due Percentage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Due Percentage

Curious how I could find out what the "normal" percentage is for past dues on storage facilities. Trying to set some new goals. We are in Anderson, SC

You should have a goal to keep your 30+ days past due at less than 5% of the total rented units. 3% is even better. (That's what my training through Skilcheck was, and she knows the business!!!)

I'm fortunate here and it's usually less than 1%.
    MamaDuke

Comment

Depending on size of facility and where it's located-like, downtown Columbia, well, expect a little higher. In an relatively upscale area around Clemson, probably 4 or less would be doable.
      I would so research about what the past couple of years/occupancy has been like and set goals from there though so you're not being unrealistic.
      When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Past due % here averages 3% on the 10th of the month and at the end of the month it is less than 1% or actually 0%. Have not had an auction in over 3 years. Be realistic, at first, with your goals and see where you get to and like has been said, the more upscale neighborhood, like my area, the better chance you have of having a great outcome.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

How wealthy the area is will play a factor in delinquencies. This is not a very wealthy part of town and I have some customers that don't know how to adult properly. One customer was having issues with her old truck. Instead of buying a hoopty or something inexpensive, she bought a brand new Ford Fiesta just over a week ago and told me how it "talks to her". In that same visit she told me she doesn't have the rent yet. She still hasn't paid this month.

A texting service that lets you easily send a copy and paste "call me regarding your account 555 xxx-xxxx" type deal is really handy. I have customers that won't answer my call or respond to an email or voicemail, but I text and they're calling me right back. I've been less than 1% and as high as 10% here.

I'm not real aggressive with collections. If you pay me, great. If you don't and I auction you, that's okay too.
          A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
            Reply to Death of a tenant question
            by MamaDuke
            Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
            Today, 12:18 PM
          • dakselfstorage
            Reply to Where Would You Live?
            by dakselfstorage
            Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
            Love the entire area....
            Today, 12:17 PM
          • pacnwstorage
            Reply to Death of a tenant question
            by pacnwstorage
            IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
            Today, 10:12 AM
          Working...
          X