Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Really Small Town Facility under 1000 population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really Small Town Facility under 1000 population

Hello everyone;
    I have been a keen observer of this site for sometime and I find it is a wealth of information obtained from boots on the ground. I would like to ask opinions on facilities in really small rural towns,,,,I mean really small like under 1000 population. The opportunity provided would be that you would are the only facility within a 10 mile radius. I should also mention that this facility is only 50 units, it has asphalt paved driveways and is fenced and gated. Of course such a small facility could not support an on site Manager. I saved the best for last, only about 5 of the units are occupied, the property is extremely poorly managed, no website and non functional phone number. How do you place a value on such a property with a small population of 1000, such low occupancy and no room for growth in the near future ?

I'd touch base with a real estate agent. And wow-no website? No phone? Crazy.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I have a facility in a town of 1000 people, but it is a suburb of a larger town so it would not be a good example compared to what you have offered. When you say no facilities for 10 miles is 10 miles the closest city?

Comment

I would want to get some outside storage options going.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I am not sure what you mean " get some outside storage options going" Can you expound

Comment

Parking vehicles, trucks, trailers, boats, RV's........
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

The value here is in the land (water rights, mineral rights, etc). Do you face a major road (frontage, easy access, signage)? Most rural communities, homeowners have large parcels of land (so they usually do not have to pay to store vehicles, trailers, farm equipment, etc). Your best option to fill up some of the units (weather proof and rodent proof them) is to reach out to businesses that need to store documents (for IRS/tax purposes) or hook up with an apartment complex. I spoke with someone that got a free off-site storage unit when they rented at a specific apartment complex. Is there any drilling/construction (pipelines, wind farms, solar farms) happening in the area? You could reach out to the foreman/supervisor and see if they need storage. I had a company rent two large units for a few months while they built a Sonic restaurant. Are there any government (state, county) projects that might need storage? I am currently renting to a state land division. Are cell towers an option? You could generate some revenue that way. I understand your question was how to value such a property, but if you decide to purchase, some of the ideas above might help.

Comment

Yes nearest town is 10 miles away,,,,

Comment

KeelHauler expressed my first thought too...... worth the land value. There's isn't a business there worth paying for, and the improvements are minimal.
                  In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                    Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                    by KrisinNC
                    Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                    Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                  • evansr
                    Reply to Promotional ideas
                    by evansr
                    Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                    Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                  • Storman
                    Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                    by Storman
                    This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                    Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X