Newbie Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Here

Hello! I'm so glad I found this forum! Because I need help! My husband and I are Real Estate Investors and we came upon a 4-plex that came with a very small storage unit, 15 to be exact. Now we have a Property Management that will manage the 4-plex, and we decided to manage the storage. Now, we are VERY new to self storage and I have no idea what I'm doing. And I need you expert people!

Now when we took over the property, I sent out text msgs to all the tenant about the new management/owner. 5 tenants paid their May rent and I'm still waiting for the rest. What should be my next step?!? Please help. I'm located in DFW (Texas) area. Should I have everyone sign a new lease agreement? The previous owners didn't give me any lease agreement and everyone sent him cash or check to his house. I'm trying to do everything online to make it easier for everyone.

Thanks in advance, Jen

Hi Jen,

Welcome to the forums and self-storage! The very first thing I would do is contact your local self-storage association and luckily the Texas SSA is amazing because:

1. They can really help with some of those operational questions like if you would need new leases signed (I don't believe so though)
    2. The TSSA has online lease forms that integrate with most major self storage software providers that you can use. They recently moved away from Blue Moon forms so at least you don't have to worry about that transition. You can find information on the TSSA Forms Online here.

As far as collecting rent for May, I'm going to leave that to operators and/or the TSSA to answer since there's a wide spectrum of answers to that due to the covid-19 coronavirus.

There are a lot of online webinars, trade shows, and resources at your disposal right now which is great for educating yourself and hopefully things have calmed down for the Annual Texas SSA Conference in The Woodlands, TX in October. I strongly suggest that you and your husband give consideration to attending that event, conditions allowing of course.

In the meantime, keep the questions coming and again - welcome!
    Kevin Kerr
    Storage Commander Cloud Software
    k[email protected]
    Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Welcome to the forums from Oregon.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Welcome from PA.
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Kevin is absolutely on the money. Everyone should have a contract (what the heck? No contracts?) Do you have records of payments? Who is up to date? Who is past due?
          Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Welcome from Arizona! Very important to have a lease for everyone. And yes check with the TSSA, it is important to understand the statutes for Texas. Once you know them you can follow their lien laws when tenants are late. We lock out late tenants when they are 6 days late.

Comment

Welcome from Central Florida. Agree with Allsecure. You MUST understand the statutes and I would suggest you send out a letter to your renters with a new contract and let them know the date it is effective, to whom they make payments and how, and that if they do not respond to the letter (either in email or in the mail - whichever is allowed) then it is assumed agreed upon. I would suggest mailing with a certificate of mailing. It's less than the green card mail. Congratulations, Good Luck and WELCOME!!
              Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

I'm a newbie to SST. I'm Stacie, currently a general manager at a facility in CT. I have been doing storage for almost 17 yrs, with the last 7 as a manager for a corporate facility company. I recently became a manager for a family owned facility. Wow what a difference, definitely happier and as a manager my hands are no longer tied preventing me from doing my job compared to a corporate ran facility. I have joined several storage forums (never to old to learn something new lol). I am very excited to get some incite, share my experience and be part of the group.
                Last edited by GM - StacieJ. - BSS; 24 May 2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

welcome from Alaska

Comment

Originally posted by GM - StacieJ. - BSS View Post
                    I'm a newbie to SST. I'm Stacie, currently a general manager at a facility in CT. I have been doing storage for almost 17 yrs, with the last 7 as a manager for a corporate facility company. I recently became a manager for a family owned facility. Wow what a difference, definitely happier and as a manager my hands are no longer tied preventing me from doing my job compared to a corporate ran facility. I have joined several storage forums (never to old to learn something new lol). I am very excited to get some incite, share my experience and be part of the group.
                    Welcome!!!
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Stacie, what part of CT? We are in New Milford area. :-)
                      Originally posted by GM - StacieJ. - BSS View Post

Comment

[QUOTE=Middlebury.storage;n193759]Stacie, what part of CT? We are in New Milford area. :-)

Hello Middlebury.Storage, we are located in Bristol. I used to work for a corporate company at 3 locations; in Southington, Plantsville and Cheshire. I noticed your tag is Middlebury Storage, but you are in New Milford? How long have you been in Storage?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                          Reply to Charging a deposit
                          by Storman
                          I hold a $30 fully refundable deposit. It's extremely useful.

1) I make a big point in my phone pitch, email response and in-person tour of telling the customer that I do not charge ANY fees. No admin fee, no computer fee, no setup fee, no fees whatsoever that all the REITs around me are...
                          Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                        • CoolAir
                          Reply to Charging a deposit
                          by CoolAir
                          We charge a non-refundable Admin Fee of $25 which includes disc lock, key ring, pen and letter opener (to open disc lock). No complaints yet....
                          Yesterday, 04:56 PM
                        • Clarkstoragellc
                          Reply to Photo Thread
                          by Clarkstoragellc
                          Other things to do with a Storage location. Spending more time at the new location, so made it more homey. Flowers in full bloom. Eggplant, peppers and tomatoes starting to come in.

Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                        Working...
                        X